Foamboard F6F-Hellcat

Niez13

Elite member
I've always loved the Hellcat so I decided to build it. It was a very easy build with the same style as John Overstreet's Corsair. It uses the new master series power pod. After designing the P-47 and Focke Wulf 190 I have learned a lot about how to build master series planes. At first it can seem overwhelming but it really is not that bad. Once you understand how to build them you can build any plane you want. They also turn out lighter, and fly better than traditional box spar flitetest planes in my opinion. In the Hellcat's flight videos you can see how floaty and light it is. The plans should be up soon for the Hellcat, I just need to draw up the hatch for the bottom. Now that school is out I can go back in and fix plans to release them to the community. I have just been too busy trying to finish other planes for Flitefest Ohio. Especially the new scale Ju-87 Stuka, painted P-47, 190, F6F, and a few more secrets to come.;)
_DSC0577NF.jpg
_DSC0580NF.jpg _DSC0582NF.jpg _DSC0583NF.jpg _DSC0585NF.jpg _DSC0592NF.jpg _DSC0599NF.jpg _DSC0600NF.jpg _DSC0602NF.jpg _DSC0606NF.jpg _DSC0619NF.jpg _DSC0784 copy.JPG _DSC0798 copy.JPG _DSC0819 copy.JPG _DSC0764 copy.JPG _DSC0822 copy.JPG

JTarmstr

Elite member
Wow i'm worried now, I am working on a preliminary warbird design and I think your going to get to it first at this rate ;). Great build, the F6F is my second favorite WW2 bird (behind the P-47).

Niez13

Elite member
Wow i'm worried now, I am working on a preliminary warbird design and I think your going to get to it first at this rate ;). Great build, the F6F is my second favorite WW2 bird (behind the P-47).
Thanks! Just out of curiosity did you happen to see my P-47 as well? I'm not sure if you like the razorback version or not but I am currently working on that as well.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Thanks! Just out of curiosity did you happen to see my P-47 as well? I'm not sure if you like the razorback version or not but I am currently working on that as well.

Yes I did! It looks great, and I appreciate that someone is building the workhorse fighters of WW2, sometimes I think the Mustang, F4U, ME 109 and spitfire get to much credit, while the FW-190, F6F, Hawker Hurricane and the P-47 (though to a lesser extent with the P-47) get somewhat overlooked.

Niez13

Elite member
Yes I did! It looks great, and I appreciate that someone is building the workhorse fighters of WW2, sometimes I think the Mustang, F4U, ME 109 and spitfire get to much credit, while the FW-190, F6F, Hawker Hurricane and the P-47 (though to a lesser extent with the P-47) get somewhat overlooked.
Thank you and that is exactly what I am trying to do. I am currently building/desiging a Hawker Hurricane and Heinkel 100.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Thank you and that is exactly what I am trying to do. I am currently building/desiging a Hawker Hurricane and Heinkel 100.

Haha, called it, I'm working on a Hurricane as well, I haven't started a thread for it yet, I'm guessing yours will be master series style? Mine is going to have a boxy fuselage but a master series wing.

Niez13

Elite member
Haha, called it, I'm working on a Hurricane as well, I haven't started a thread for it yet, I'm guessing yours will be master series style? Mine is going to have a boxy fuselage but a master series wing.
Yeah it will be a master series style Hurricane. One thing I would recommend is sanding down one side of the wingtips on your hurricane to thin out the wingtips. I tried it on my FW190 and it turned out awesome.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Yeah it will be a master series style Hurricane. One thing I would recommend is sanding down one side of the wingtips on your hurricane to thin out the wingtips. I tried it on my FW190 and it turned out awesome.

Thanks for the advice, I might try that out.

BTW have you considered submitting this design to FT? It honestly looks awesome, I would totally buy a speedbuild kit for it.

Niez13

Elite member
Thanks for the advice, I might try that out.

BTW have you considered submitting this design to FT? It honestly looks awesome, I would totally buy a speedbuild kit for it.
I would love for that to happen but Flitetest has a schedule with John Overstreet for releasing all of his planes over the next years. I haven't asked them but if more people like you keep saying they want it as a speed build kit they would be more open to using one of my designs. I actually live an hour and a half away from Edgewater so I can even show it to them in person if I wanted too.

I've always loved the Hellcat so I decided to build it. It was a very easy build with the same style as John Overstreet's Corsair. It uses the new master series power pod. After designing the P-47 and Focke Wulf 190 I have learned a lot about how to build master series planes. At first it can seem overwhelming but it really is not that bad. Once you understand how to build them you can build any plane you want. They also turn out lighter, and fly better than traditional box spar flitetest planes in my opinion. In the Hellcat's flight videos you can see how floaty and light it is. The plans should be up soon for the Hellcat, I just need to draw up the hatch for the bottom. Now that school is out I can go back in and fix plans to release them to the community. I have just been too busy trying to finish other planes for Flitefest Ohio. Especially the new scale Ju-87 Stuka, painted P-47, 190, F6F, and a few more secrets to come.;)
View attachment 132644 View attachment 132645 View attachment 132646 View attachment 132647 View attachment 132648 View attachment 132650 View attachment 132652 View attachment 132653 View attachment 132654 View attachment 132655 View attachment 132657 View attachment 132660 View attachment 132661 View attachment 132662 View attachment 132659 View attachment 132663

You are an absolute machine! I just got your fw190 plans laid out on foam ready to be cut. Then you make this! I am putting in my vote for speed build kits of your planes also

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Great looking build! Looking forward to seeing the plans - would be fun to get a bunch of people to build these and paint them up in all the Bearcat Reno Racer colors for some pylon racing :D

Niez13

Elite member
Great looking build! Looking forward to seeing the plans - would be fun to get a bunch of people to build these and paint them up in all the Bearcat Reno Racer colors for some pylon racing :D
Not sure when but I've always thought it would be cool to build a BearCat.

Niez13

Elite member
You are an absolute machine! I just got your fw190 plans laid out on foam ready to be cut. Then you make this! I am putting in my vote for speed build kits of your planes also
Thanks! I will definitely be following along with your build and if you have any questions about the Focke Wulf build let me know.

Thanks! I will definitely be following along with your build and if you have any questions about the Focke Wulf build let me know.
I was supposed to start the focke wulf this past weekend, but with the weather change in florida, and my love for carbureted vehicles, I had to spend it under the hood of my drift truck project.

Attachments

• 0819181408.jpg
    0819181408.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0