Foamboard F6F Hellcat

Foamboard F6F Hellcat V1

Please log in to download

Niez13

Elite member
Niez13 submitted a new resource:

Foamboard F6F Hellcat - Very fun, scale, easy to build, easy to fly, Master Series Style F6F Hellcat

F6F Hellcat

Designed by: Jack Niezgoda
Plans by: Steve Niezgoda​

This Hellcat is a very easy and fun plane to fly. This Hellcat is very floaty because of its low wing loading. It can fly fast or slow if you want it to. This Hellcat is swappable with the new Master Series swappable power pack. Have fun building and flying it, and please share!
View attachment 135565
Motor: FT Radial 2218B 1180kV C pack Brushless Motor
Wingspan: 43 inches (109 cm)...

Read more about this resource...

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Thank you. This is perfect for the 11x17 sheet set.
@TexMechsRobot Is it simple to do a 22x34 set too? I have a full scale plotter and this reduces time-to-project. which increases it's likely-hood to success.

sooriginl

What a gorgeous plane and good job on the plans. Just one question as i prepare to start the build: Are any of the wing spars needing to be plywood like the corsair, or does the wing hold up if everything is foam board?

Niez13

Elite member
Thanks! Yes there should four spars on the plans; top two are cut out of foam board(the ones with tabs), and the bottom shorter two are cut out of 1/16 inch plywood.

sooriginl

Thanks for the quick reply. If i cant scrounge up some thin plywood long enough, i might try foam reinforced with a paint stick. cheers.

Niez13

Elite member
Thanks for the quick reply. If i cant scrounge up some thin plywood long enough, i might try foam reinforced with a paint stick. cheers.
That should work too! (I honestly think it doesn't really need it but better safe than sorry)

sooriginl

Hi, Im at the final stages of assembly after finishing up some other projects. Mine isnt turning out as clean as yours but oh well...the dtfb i used seems really fragile, too.
I ended up reinforcing each foam spar with a single 2mm piece of balsa covered by an outer layer of paper....forming a stiff sandwich kinda like plywood. I recommend this balsa paper laminate for other projects since its much lighter and easier to cut complex shapes than plywood and seems almost as strong for edge loads. (not firewalls or control horns!)
But ....how did you attach the bottom battery hatch under the wing...magnets? your photos looked really clean.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Niez13

Elite member
Hi, Im at the final stages of assembly after finishing up some other projects. Mine isnt turning out as clean as yours but oh well...the dtfb i used seems really fragile, too.
I ended up reinforcing each foam spar with a single 2mm piece of balsa covered by an outer layer of paper....forming a stiff sandwich kinda like plywood. I recommend this balsa paper laminate for other projects since its much lighter and easier to cut complex shapes than plywood and seems almost as strong for edge loads. (not firewalls or control horns!)
But ....how did you attach the bottom battery hatch under the wing...magnets? your photos looked really clean.
Just from the photo it looks like its coming out really nice and clean! Yes I did use magnets on mine. I also added a barbecue skewer slot to make sure it was aligned. Right now I'm at school but when I get home I'll get a photo of it. You can also just attach the hatch the same as the FT Corsair's hatch.

Niez13

Elite member
I found a photo. The red is where the barbecue skewer goes and where is. The green is just where I put the magnets. This should make it a little clearer.

sooriginl

thanks for the tip! I dont see any photo but your explanation was certainly clear enough. I think Ill put the skewer on the leading edge and the magnets on the trailing edge, to handle the belly landings.

Niez13

Elite member
thanks for the tip! I dont see any photo but your explanation was certainly clear enough. I think Ill put the skewer on the leading edge and the magnets on the trailing edge, to handle the belly landings.
Oh my gosh I totally never even noticed I didn’t add the photo. I’m glad it still makes sense but hold on let me go get the photo 😂.

Niez13

Elite member
Here is the photo.
EF0580AB-3065-4AD7-8B71-9A1FE27E7FD2.png

sooriginl

Things are moving along, albeit very slowly, on my Hellcat build! (I got distracted by a disaster of a mini P40)
The blurry pic makes it look cleaner than it is. I had some difficulty attaching the rear bodywork because I installed the wing before, instead of after. This also caused me to install the wing at too high of an angle of incidence, making the thrust angle too negative (for a model this size) relative to the wing. I suspect this higher alpha and wing load will contribute to stalls so I'm thinking about adding vortex generators before her maiden....anyone had any luck with those on similar planes?

As is, the plane balances exactly where indicated in the plans using a 3S 2200mah and 2216 motor. If I add much paint or tape behind the CG, it will get tail heavy which is something I can't afford with my upward tilted wing.

Attachments

• 20191027_120202.jpg
    20191027_120202.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0