foamboard in Europe

ForceM

Hi,

I live in The Netherlands (Europe) and i find it quite hard to find any foamboard here.
FliteTest uses Graupner as there European supplier but for the last 6 months+ the FT foamboard has been "out of stock"

I found 1 type that is relatively ok ish for building ft planes from .. but with some issues.

For example the paper is so stuck to it .. its almost impossible to remove.
To successfully remove it i have to douse the paper with 96% alcohol.

The boards itself are not up to standard compared to the brown version you get with a speedbuild kit i got from Graupner.
The paper on my foamboard brand itself is also really prone to tearing.

Anyone know a better place to get good quality foamboard i could order from The Netherlands?

FDS

Elite member
All EU board is the same, it’s 40% heavier than FT board, you need to use 3mm EU board if you want a straight swap weight wise especially on minis, or buy the FT stuff. Boxes of that are available from several UK suppliers again, Model Shop Leeds is one, many of them ship throughout the EU if you want that. Graupner have been very poor at maintaining stock of FT products in Europe this year, lots of stuff is still unavailable.
There’s loads of discussions on this subject, use search if you need more info, it’s possible to make plenty of the larger models in EU board, you just use a bigger motor or add some node length to compensate for the heavier tails and overall heft. There’s also several methods to remove the paper, @CarolineTyler has a good one.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
All EU board is the same, it’s 40% heavier than FT board, you need to use 3mm EU board if you want a straight swap weight wise especially on minis, or buy the FT stuff. Boxes of that are available from several UK suppliers again, Model Shop Leeds is one, many of them ship throughout the EU if you want that. Graupner have been very poor at maintaining stock of FT products in Europe this year, lots of stuff is still unavailable.
There’s loads of discussions on this subject, use search if you need more info, it’s possible to make plenty of the larger models in EU board, you just use a bigger motor or add some node length to compensate for the heavier tails and overall heft. There’s also several methods to remove the paper, @CarolineTyler has a good one.
And with Graupner getting into major financial crisis the supplies of Flite test foamboard may become even more scarce.

Last edited:
Reactions: FDS