Foamboard in the UK

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hey,

I understand that it is not possible to buy flite test foamboard in the uk. What is the best alternative?

Cheers!
The only foamboard thats readily available is the Westboard stuff from places like The Range and Hobbycraft. It's a lot heavier than the Flitetest foamboard but it takes paint better and you end up with a tougher plane. @FDS recommends extending the nose a bit to counteract the tendency of the planes to come out tail heavy.

The only foamboard thats readily available is the Westboard stuff from places like The Range and Hobbycraft. It's a lot heavier than the Flitetest foamboard but it takes paint better and you end up with a tougher plane. @FDS recommends extending the nose a bit to counteract the tendency of the planes to come out tail heavy.
Is depron any good?

It is but it doesn't bend in the same way, many cover it with packing tape on the outside surface to allow it to bend and support the A, B & C folds the designs use. Also Depron is rather expensive!
I guess that west design stuff is the way to go... I looked on hobbycraft and its dirt cheap - £3.40 for an A2 sheet

messyhead

You can also use heat to remove the paper from parts that don't need it, and that saves some weight.

I've built a Tiny Trainer with a bigger wing from it, and it flies well, when it's not crashing 😂

But it holds up well to crashes.

Reactions: FDS

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Well.....according to FliteTest admins, they have a new European distributer. They said so on Josh's live build thread.
I hope so!!!!

messyhead

Well.....according to FliteTest admins, they have a new European distributer. They said so on Josh's live build thread.
I hope so!!!!

Oh, that's good. I was out with my son earlier so he could maiden his TT, and we were talking about getting some FB for our next build.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The Leeds model shop has the new white FliteTest foamboard in stock!!! it's not cheap £4.99 a sheet for the regular thickness and £9.99 per sheet for the think. They don't post it though, you have to pick up from the shop.
Model Shop Leeds