Foamboard, Minwax, and hot glue...

dwardio

Well, I got in a hurry and screwed up.

Whilst building my FT-22, I decided to go ahead and Minwax the exterior surfaces. Unfortunately, I was waiting on some powertrain parts at the time and hadn't actually glued the firewall to the top deck.

You know what happened next... Yes, I applied Minwax over the area where the firewall attaches.

So, what are my choices at this point? Am I stuck (sorry) with peeling back the paper and gluing directly to the foam, or is there a type of glue that will adhere to the Minwax-treated deck? CA, Epoxy, Welder's (my usual go-to adhesive), or ???

Thanks!

--dwardio

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
You could wait. I coat my boards with minwax before I build but then I let them sit for a month or two to fully cure. Never had a problem with hot glue not wanting to stick.

But I'd recommend against gluing a firewall to the paper anyway and suggest removing the paper and glueing to the foam with gorilla glue.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
You might even be able to just score a bunch of lines in the paper. Give it some texture for the glue to seep into. I know that high temp hot glue likes to melt the foam of dollar tree foam board. So some scores and/or holes to allow the hot glue to go thru the foam and form a plug on the other side should hold up really well. Just remember that the tougher glues will be extremely difficult to remove from the firewall. Hot glue is easy to remove. If you want to reuse the firewall, you may be better off sticking with hot glue.

Flynn

I might be wrong but didn't the FT Versa build, pusher option call for the paper to be removed? I think you'll be fine either way. You could always rough up the surface like RCSpaceflight suggested. I would use sandpaper and glue it.

Also, to could glue a popsicle stick to the other side drill some holes and ziptie it in along with the glue.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I might be wrong but didn't the FT Versa build, pusher option call for the paper to be removed? I think you'll be fine either way. You could always rough up the surface like RCSpaceflight suggested. I would use sandpaper and glue it.

Also, to could glue a popsicle stick to the other side drill some holes and ziptie it in along with the glue.
Yes, it was mounted on the foam directly, and mine has been fine through a number of high speed low passes BGL...

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
On my Versa I removed the paper...and reinforced the foam with some hotel room keycards. But every impact with the ground whether slow and controller or...er...otherwise...resulted in my motor mount coming off. So I ended up using gorilla glue to hold the keycard instead.

But I'm not using a ply mount. I'm using a little metal "simpson smart tie" bracket since it lets me bend it to adjust my thrust angle (I originally used this motor and mount on an ExAir Axon where that was more or less necessary.) I use 3M outdoor heavy duty double sided tape to hold the metal bracket to the plastic card. Since switching to GG I haven't had it come loose yet. I've knocked the 3M tape loose once, and I ripped the whole back section of the Versa out once though :D

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Yes, it was mounted on the foam directly, and mine has been fine through a number of high speed low passes BGL...

Yes, I am very familiar with this airframe's outstanding BGL capability, mine has ventured BGL several times and always returned for more.
LOL, sorry. Not at all relevant, but I couldn't resist.

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Yes, I am very familiar with this airframe's outstanding BGL capability, mine has ventured BGL several times and always returned for more.
LOL, sorry. Not at all relevant, but I couldn't resist.

I need to improve my rc vocabulary. What does BGL mean?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ah. right. Good for gophers too :p

Bummer to hear that FA, but 4" is an impressive lawn dart! How's the damage?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Out here in the desert 4" is nothing. I darted my nutball almost twice as deep - once I shook the sand out of the motor popped it back into the air :D

Of course that was flying in a dry wash which is as close as I can get to flying over soft grass. Usually I'm over hardpack and that's almost worse than hitting pavement :eek:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Once when it was really muddy out I nose dived a few inches into the ground, without any damage. Other than a ton of mud being packed into the motor.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I broke the wing tips and had to clean my DT-750. No real damage, but I will be buying some new wings soon.:black_eyed:

4" isn't impressive... Until you realize how rocky the soil is.