Foamboard NASA Shuttle Carrier Aircraft

L Edge

Master member
That was amazing!!

Suggestion-set up the rates on the shuttle so that you have a high throw on the ailerons(for bad spinning when released when it doesn't have much forward speed) and small amounts for the elevator to get the nice noseup flair on the way down. Or just set up Just completed my 51st drop on mine.
Homed in on CG, so now it almost flies itself with a nice nose-up attitude on the way down.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
That was amazing!!

Suggestion-set up the rates on the shuttle so that you have a high throw on the ailerons(for bad spinning when released when it doesn't have much forward speed) and small amounts for the elevator to get the nice noseup flair on the way down. Or just set up Just completed my 51st drop on mine.
Homed in on CG, so now it almost flies itself with a nice nose-up attitude on the way down.
so then, where is the CG on it? or is that in your thread?

Horseman3381

The finish on the plane is a 5' paint job, meaning as long as you are 5' away from it it looks good.

The CG on the Shuttle ended up being 1" forward of the bend in the wing. In the video I had the CG set at the bend in the wing, and it was tail heavy. It flew better once I adjusted it.

However, later in fall I took the plane to a flying event. It was pretty windy that day, but was egged on to take the plane up. When releasing the shuttle one of the attachment points didn't come loose and the shuttle spun around blocking airflow to the right elevator and vertical stabilizer. When I had to turn to go down wind the right wing lost lift and plane went down.
20190824_154935.jpg

It was unfortunately damaged beyond repair. I have plans to build a version 2 in the future in the style of how RamyRC and DemonDriver build their's with Fiberglass. But I have a few other projects to knock off my plate before I dive into that.

The shuttle mostly survived the crash, and I put a C-pack motor in the tail of it. I'm hoping to get it out to the field in the next 2 weeks to see how it fly's.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Thanks for the update, and sad to hear. It is the way of this hobby though. I'm looking forward to v2

L Edge

Master member

Like everyone else, handdrew the shape of my shuttle to fit my transport. It ended up weighing 143 grams put together and the dimensions were 14' wide and 19 1/2 long. The CG was 8 3/8 from the rear. CG was initially found by chucking it till it glided. Flights in air were done to finess the present position.

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
The finish on the plane is a 5' paint job, meaning as long as you are 5' away from it it looks good.

The CG on the Shuttle ended up being 1" forward of the bend in the wing. In the video I had the CG set at the bend in the wing, and it was tail heavy. It flew better once I adjusted it.

However, later in fall I took the plane to a flying event. It was pretty windy that day, but was egged on to take the plane up. When releasing the shuttle one of the attachment points didn't come loose and the shuttle spun around blocking airflow to the right elevator and vertical stabilizer. When I had to turn to go down wind the right wing lost lift and plane went down.
View attachment 160986

It was unfortunately damaged beyond repair. I have plans to build a version 2 in the future in the style of how RamyRC and DemonDriver build their's with Fiberglass. But I have a few other projects to knock off my plate before I dive into that.

The shuttle mostly survived the crash, and I put a C-pack motor in the tail of it. I'm hoping to get it out to the field in the next 2 weeks to see how it fly's.

That's to bad, it was a great looking plane!:(

mackaiver

Elite member

View attachment 160986

any chance i could get my hands on either versions of the plans? love to have a 747.
than i can say im a "747 pilot":cool:(y)