Foamboard P-47 Thunderbolt

Has anyone printed out the non full size plans? I have print3d them and the sizing is off, for example the wing half says it measures just over 19 inches on the plans but my printed version only measures at 12 inches - anyone know what I am doing wrong?

jack954

I have finished the wing, but have gotten a little stuck on the fuse. How exactly does the rudder and elevator fit on? Does the elevator just sit on top of the fuse box? Also do you have to cut a gap in former F for the front end of the rudder?

Niez13

Elite member
I have finished the wing, but have gotten a little stuck on the fuse. How exactly does the rudder and elevator fit on? Does the elevator just sit on top of the fuse box? Also do you have to cut a gap in former F for the front end of the rudder?
Yes it kind of just sits on top. There is a little notch on the fuselage box spar for placement. I believe you do have to cut a gap in former F. I’ll get back to you on if you should or should not. Here’s a photo.(this is the first prototype so the rudder is cut different.)
128F3BF5-A349-4E68-8C56-DB5F47088CEC.png

jack954

Yes it kind of just sits on top. There is a little notch on the fuselage box spar for placement. I believe you do have to cut a gap in former F. I’ll get back to you on if you should or should not. Here’s a photo.(this is the first prototype so the rudder is cut different.)
View attachment 141308
Ok thank you, I will give it a try next time I work on it.

jack954

Almost done with the build. Just need the canopy ,bottom plate and the linkage for the ailerons. I plan to maiden it tomorrow.
IMG_7169.JPG
IMG_7168.JPG

Niez13

Elite member
Almost done with the build. Just need the canopy ,bottom plate and the linkage for the ailerons. I plan to maiden it tomorrow. View attachment 143197 View attachment 143198
I mounted my tail servos right under the front of the elevator on each side. One for each control surface. The photo should explain it too. Also, that looks awesome!!!!! How is it coming to together? All of the parts seem to fit and stuff like that? Looking forward to the maiden!

Attachments

• 0A03CF3F-DA76-4397-8AA7-3E2DF78D460D.png
    0A03CF3F-DA76-4397-8AA7-3E2DF78D460D.png
    468 KB · Views: 0

jack954

I mounted my tail servos right under the front of the elevator on each side. One for each control surface. The photo should explain it too. Also, that looks awesome!!!!! How is it coming to together? All of the parts seem to fit and stuff like that? Looking forward to the maiden!
IMG_7171.JPG
IMG_7170.JPG
I ended up mounting them similar to how they showed it on your FW-190. Here It is finished. I was able to fly it this morning and it flew amazing! This might be my new favorite plane. The plane went together pretty well, just needed a few trims and sanding on some of the skins. The only problem was that I think you extended the fuselage. I wasn't really sure how to, I saw the pictures and the pieces but I decided not to just to make sure it wouldn't be tail heavy. I just had to shortened the rear skin and it worked pretty well. I still need to do the wing fairings and the top wing tip pieces, then I'll find a paint scheme to do.

Niez13

Elite member
View attachment 143281 View attachment 143282 I ended up mounting them similar to how they showed it on your FW-190. Here It is finished. I was able to fly it this morning and it flew amazing! This might be my new favorite plane. The plane went together pretty well, just needed a few trims and sanding on some of the skins. The only problem was that I think you extended the fuselage. I wasn't really sure how to, I saw the pictures and the pieces but I decided not to just to make sure it wouldn't be tail heavy. I just had to shortened the rear skin and it worked pretty well. I still need to do the wing fairings and the top wing tip pieces, then I'll find a paint scheme to do.
That turned out great! Yeah that back formed tail piece is probably the weirdest piece to put on. I’m glad the build was smooth. The way you have your servos are better than what I did on mine . Yours also looks better being internal. How did she handle in the air? Any weird flight characteristics?

jack954

That turned out great! Yeah that back formed tail piece is probably the weirdest piece to put on. I’m glad the build was smooth. The way you have your servos are better than what I did on mine . Yours also looks better being internal. How did she handle in the air? Any weird flight characteristics?
No the plane flew very well. I just have to lower the throws on my ailerons. I was able to inverted for a bit so it was pretty stable.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I’m glad it turned out great you! I am working on a lot of things right now but I think the coolest thing at the moment is an F-35. I plan to go all out with it with a bomb bay, afterburner, LED internal cockpit display, and a lot more. I will start a thread in the future for the building process. View attachment 143427
Like to know how you are doing the afterburner... I want to do one for the SR and I was thinking an Arduino nano...