Foamboard P-47 Thunderbolt

kilroy07

Legendary member
Can you do a timed relay sequence with an Arduino? (Never used one) šŸ˜²

The Blackbird's Afterburners were never switched simultaneously. Just a tip....
Yup, sure can..... going to use the input from the receiver then set a level where the ā€œafterburnerā€ kicks in....

Was there a reason/purpose behind that or just because it was an analog system?
(I had noticed it on the videos Iā€™ve seen.)

PoorManRC

Master member
...Was there a reason/purpose behind that or just because it was an analog system?
(I had noticed it on the videos Iā€™ve seen.)

You're mostly right. When Afterburner is selected, it triggers a set of Relays (secondary Fuel, Ignitor, etc).
It always triggers One first, and checks for ignition before triggering the other.

The P&W J-58 Turbo/Ramjet is entirely unique in that. The J-58 was only in the SR-71, and was tried in XB-70, Prototype #2. That was deemed TOO expensive (it took SIX!!). The 70 went back to J-57s, with a Ramjet Convertible intake.... Nothing like the Blackbird.

Sorry, USAF and Aviation History turns me into a giant GEEK! šŸ˜œ

BTW, I asked my friend, Reg Blackwell (flew with Dad) about the Blackbird's Thrust....
What he gave me was at least interesting. Thrust/Weight Ratio on Takeoff, was approximately 1.69:1!

Like Dad always said "She was KICKED into the Air!" šŸ˜‹

Last edited:

Niez13

Elite member
Like to know how you are doing the afterburner... I want to do one for the SR and I was thinking an Arduino nano...
I am going to put the RC Geeksā€™s center burner on the back of the edf inrunner motor. I am also going to use a shiny vinyl on the inside of the thrust tube to really glow. The nice thing about the center burner is you an easily program it to be on at full throttle just like the real thing. Hereā€™s a link to the product.
http://thercgeek.com/the-centerburner/
Thereā€™s also some videos of it on some jets on the website.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I am going to put the RC Geeksā€™s center burner on the back of the edf inrunner motor. I am also going to use a shiny vinyl on the inside of the thrust tube to really glow. The nice thing about the center burner is you an easily program it to be on at full throttle just like the real thing. Hereā€™s a link to the product.
http://thercgeek.com/the-centerburner/
Thereā€™s also some videos of it on some jets on the website.
Thatā€™s a real cool idea (center mount) I was going to build off of this thread;
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...er-led-ring-for-EDF-jets-with-arduino-WS2812B
The RC geek (while looks professionally made and probably worth every penny) is just too rich for my blood.
Besides, I like to tinker!

Niez13

Elite member
Thatā€™s a real cool idea (center mount) I was going to build off of this thread;
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...er-led-ring-for-EDF-jets-with-arduino-WS2812B
The RC geek (while looks professionally made and probably worth every penny) is just too rich for my blood.
Besides, I like to tinker!
Both of them seem to work and look pretty sweet. Iā€™m just more of a builder and I donā€™t know to much of the programming aspect of these products/ ideas. I figured if this is going to be the most advanced plane Iā€™ve built, I mine as well go all out on itšŸ¤£.

jack954

Got to paint the p-47 some, but still need to make some stickers for it.
IMG_7232.JPG
Also is that your C-47 in the background of the new flite test video?

jack954

I was planning on doing the Drinkin Sister scheme but that one is pretty cool too. Is the C-47 going to be released through them?

agates1967

Currently editing a build video for my P-47 Bubbletop/Razorback. Sorry for the wait, I've just been working on stuff for Flitefest like a C-47 that can drop paratroopers and painting the FW190 and Hellcat. Here are some photos of both the C-47 and Razorback.
View attachment 135217 View attachment 135218

I like the rounded C47 there! I'm still working on my 'boxy' one, check out my thread (it's my only thread so far :D)
Capture.JPG

after I get a few more flights in I'll figure out a way to share plans for this one. I just started building that P47, its taking shape and I can't wait to fly it!

Niez13

Elite member
I like the rounded C47 there! I'm still working on my 'boxy' one, check out my thread (it's my only thread so far :D)
View attachment 148462
after I get a few more flights in I'll figure out a way to share plans for this one. I just started building that P47, its taking shape and I can't wait to fly it!
Iā€™ll go check out the thread right now!

Canā€™t wait to hear how your P-47 turns out. Your gonna love how it handles and flies through the air.

PoorManRC

Master member
View attachment 148462
Do you have the Plans for it? Also could you post the link to the Build?
Even Boxy, it's got the classic good looks! šŸ‘šŸ‘

EDIT: Found the thread! šŸ˜‰

Last edited:

agates1967

Do you have the Plans for it? Also could you post the link to the Build?
Even Boxy, it's got the classic good looks! šŸ‘šŸ‘

EDIT: Found the thread! šŸ˜‰

Thanks for the compliments!
There are a couple of places where I think a little extra strength would be good, like a bulkhead or two in the fuse, and changing some of the gear mounting/position. Other than that I should have the 2nd one put together soon, and I'll dress it up with paint and the vinyl I had cut. I'll try to make the plans a little organised, the pdf's are a little sloppy, but I can share DXF files if anyone wants to put them into the 'standard' format. I would be excited to see other people building this!

PoorManRC

Master member
Thanks for the compliments!
There are a couple of places where I think a little extra strength would be good, like a bulkhead or two in the fuse, and changing some of the gear mounting/position. Other than that I should have the 2nd one put together soon, and I'll dress it up with paint and the vinyl I had cut. I'll try to make the plans a little organised, the pdf's are a little sloppy, but I can share DXF files if anyone wants to put them into the 'standard' format. I would be excited to see other people building this!

.... If @SP0NZ had time, you'd have the BEST set of Plans you can ask for! šŸ˜‰