Foamboard SAAB JAS-39 Gripen EDF (images, plans, build)

Bayboos

This unusual construction - a mix of double layer flat panels and single layer rounded sections - is not meant to be particularly lightweight. It's a direct result of material conversion. The "classic" Depron construction methods are very similar to balsa/plywood constructions; and they do in fact allow building an extremely lightweight airframes. But the plans for this particular plane were designed for a very different material, and thus the "classic" approach was of no use here. And that in turn means it was time for what I love the most: improvisation.

The original material, a foam core board covered with paper on both sides, is much more stiff/rigid than the Depron foam itself, which makes it more suitable for large flat panels construction, but almost impossible to create tight curves. That's why all the "rounds" are created by multi-faceting (not bending); but also allows for large flat panels without additional support.

When building a plane like this, designed for a specific material that comes in only one variety (thickness), I always need to make a decision about what foam thickness I should use for each individual part. For all parts that are made of large, flat panels only, my go-to choice is 6mm Depron ("the thick one") - it's stiffness is similar to the DTFB (which is approx. 4,7mm thick) while being slightly lighter yet slightly weaker and much more brittle. For the rounded parts, it is much easier and more suitable to use 3mm Depron, which bends much more easily yet lacks both the strength and rigidity. The rigidity problem "solves by itself" since rounded shapes are much more stable and in most cases those parts are glued to the thicker material on all edges anyway, and the strength is not as crucial in this particular application.

The problems start where one part (as specified on the plans) consists of both large flat section and a rounded one. Theoretically I could split this part into two (the plans even provided a clear indication as to where flat section ends and rounded one begins), but that solution creates additional technological problem: it would require joining two parts of various thicknesses "by the edge". This type of joinery is always to be avoided at all costs, and the typical solutions are so complex I'd not even start to describe them. And please believe me, I'm doing you a favor :)

To avoid this problem, I decided to stick to the plans and make those parts in one piece. To accommodate the bending requirements, I make them with 3mm Depron, but double the thickness of the flat sections using additional layer of the same material. The doubled part is still a bit weaker (and heavier) than the same part made of 6mm foam with no glue; but it's good enough to achieve all the design goals.

And that's how I originally built the plane. The "rebuild" process introduced it's own challenge (namely: fitting the new parts to the existing structure) and thus additional change to the technology: instead of cutting out a single panel that would cover the entire fuselage section and doubling it in the flat sections, I decided to build it up in seven separate, single layer pieces. The assembly process started by glueing four 3mm flat would-be doublers (one for each side, top and bottom) to the core structure of the plane (reminder: at this point I still had to make them fit to the parts that were relatively undamaged and left in place after the post-crash clean-up), and only then I covered all of them with three outside facing panels that combined both rounded and flat sections. I decided to split this outside skin in the middle of flat sections, which gave me a very convenient way to join all of them together without (almost) any edge joinery.

The resulting structure is an unusual looking, but deliberate mix of materials and material uses with properties changing to cover a specific demands of each and every part of the plane. I am sure the description above is not very clear, but the result is good enough to make the plane strong and stiff enough, reasonably light and - as a happy accident - slightly better looking than the original one. At least until the next crash :)

Last edited:

Bayboos

Finally I did manage to complete the rebuild. I spent a significant amount of time modeling the nose cone:

IMG_5413_sm.JPG

IMG_5414_sm.JPG

And it turned out relatively nice, especially if you don't look at it up close. I did attempt to re-maiden this beauty, but... it didn't end up well. So, I had to repair it once again; this time it wasn't that big of a deal:

20180408-IMG_5423 sm.jpg

20180410-IMG_5432 sm.jpg

And this is how it looked before the re-re-maiden:

20180415-IMG_5438 sm.jpg

Looks great, isn't it? And here's a special treat: a video of re- and re-re-maiden:

Widkin

Ah, that is a great feeling, seeing it in the air like that. Beautiful build and amazing work rebuilding it! Nice to see it finally paid off :)

Bayboos

That's true, thanks. And just one small P.S.: the entire airframe - as it is today, after all the repairs and with temporary canopy, but still missing some aesthetic touches - weights exactly 512g (1.13lb or 18.06oz), which means even the heaviest battery I have (220g - almost half of the airframe weight!) keeps it under the 750g "best case scenario" AUW goal :) When I'm done with the finishing touches, it can break this goal a bit; but not much. On the field, I did a static trust "field test" (holding the plane vertically and giving full throttle) and it tried to take off of my hand without any help :) I'd say it's a nice result from 3s powered glider EDF...

Once again, thanks Widkin for this nice design!

Bayboos

Another day with strong winds, prototype plane and "I can't wait anymore" test pilot :) The only damage this time: canopy hinge. The canopy itself was found undamaged at the other end of the field :)

20180422-IMG_5698.jpg

20180422-IMG_5684.jpg

20180422-IMG_5713.jpg

Frits37

It's perfectly possible to use only elevons, like with the FT Viggen. Canard movement is a nice addition, but not crucial.

Bayboos

The EDF fan/motor combo you linked is rated for 4s LiPo and should produce apporx. 1.5kg of thrust (the page says more, but I prefer to take it with the grain of salt). My Gripen weights less than 1kg ready to fly; if you will be able to build it in the same weight range, this fan should be more than enough to fly.

Also, my Gripen have the canards glued in place, they don't move at all. And the plane is flying pretty well. You can check it for yourself in this video:

EDF Gripen re-maiden flight

IcedStorm777

Cool thank you that is really helpfull, is it a pretty easy EDF to fly? I am debating between building Ben harbers F-16 Viper and building this.

Bayboos

Unfortunately I can't answer this question, and that's simply because the Gripen is the only EDF plane I have ever flown for more than one flight. The Gripen (at least my one) is not very easy to fly (compared to the Storch or the Bixler) - it does require proper take-off and landing procedures, and the difference between reaction to control inputs (ailerons vs any other) can be surprising and/or disorienting for unexperienced pilots. But honestly I would expect the same from any other light and "underpowered" EDF jet plane.

Bayboos

By shear chance, I had an opportunity to test fly my Gripen using 4s LiPo. What a change! The plane was flying great, with tons of thrust for vertical climbs and high-speed low passes. Looks like I'll have to invest into my own stack of 4s LiPo batteries. And finally complete the build, including painting - the all-white modern jet is very hard to see on a full overcast background...

Bayboos

Today, with a slightly better weather, I was able to do some more flight testing with the Gripen. The main goal was to troubleshoot the controls (I had a weird problem with the "zero point" drifting with the rate/expo changes) and tuning them in for more pleasant experience. And it did work out pretty nice, I'm really close to being happy with that. I also did one more flight with 4s setup to test the controls at higher speeds and get closer to the upper limits. And I have to say, the plane was going ballistic! At full throttle, the verticals are virtually unlimited - even when pulling up from high speed passes, the pane does not slow down very much and goes up beyond the reasonable visibility range in seconds! I wasn't confident enough to try the vertical launch, but I'm pretty sure it should be doable. Now I have to complete the build pretty quick, just to be able to paint it - at this point the "all-white color scheme" is seriously limiting the plane's (or rather pilot's) capabilities and makes some maneuvers (like pulling up from vertical dive into high speed low altitude fly-by) really uncomfortable. Right now I have some other, big and important (non-RC) project to complete, a couple of RC cars to fix for my kids (that I have to complete before Christmas) and also a business trip to NY for a week (which is a pretty big deal for me since it does involve traveling trough six time zones); but after that I'll do my best to jump in and complete this project ASAP (meaning: before I'll break it again).

Bayboos

Unfortunately I can't help you with that. I'm using a printing shop where the well-trained and helpful crew are willing to make any adjustments I need (sometimes even free of charge) to print all the large format plans. It isn't particularly cheap, but it's not prohibitively expensive either; and is definitely worth not having to deal with such problems by myself.

Peeradol

Unfortunately I can't help you with that. I'm using a printing shop where the well-trained and helpful crew are willing to make any adjustments I need (sometimes even free of charge) to print all the large format plans. It isn't particularly cheap, but it's not prohibitively expensive either; and is definitely worth not having to deal with such problems by myself.
Thank you for advise. I will go to printshop and build it soon.

Bayboos

Last weekend I had a chance to continue 4s performance testing.The two main conclusions are:
1. vertical take-off is possible (although somewhat handful) and vertical climbs are literally unlimited. And pretty quick.
2. using full power in any kind of descent/dive leads to immediate loss of control - the plane starts to pitch down and does not respond to any control input (both ailerons and elevator). The only way to recover is to cut off throttle and hope the plane will slow down enough before it hits the ground.

There are two possible causes: the tape hinges on the ailerons are not stiff enough, or the entire wing is (or both). The first one can be easily corrected by replacing the hinges; the other one may be more challenging or even not possible without rebuilding the plane. To be clear: neither of those is a design fault; but rather a failure of the selected materials and technology. This is the first plane I built that is capable of flying that fast, and I still have to learn how to build such planes good enough to have them fly correctly in any flight conditions. Without making them heavy as bricks. I will gladly report the progress.