Foamboard SU-47 Pusher/Twin 50mm EDF

Matagami Designs

Master member
20210804_174945.jpg
Flew the SU-47 today for about 15 seconds. It was a bit of a wild ride but got it on the ground in one piece and will be able to try again once I re-evaluate the CG as well as tighten up the canards. I believe the hot glue enables the joint to flex a bit so I'm thinking about printing the canards in PETG and using CA to make it a more rigid joint to the CF axle. Along with this change I will try to shift the CG forward .25 - .5" either with nose weight or a slightly larger battery.
20210804_180722_1.gif

Matagami Designs

Master member
Printed Canards at different stages. The 1st was unusable due to a mistake in the hole size being too small to accept the CF axle. Removed some of the skin to see the details inside. Pretty amazing what CAD and 3d printing can accomplish. Wrapping in the black paper for the aesthetics. 3M77 FTW.
20210807_130723.jpg

Matagami Designs

Master member
1st full flight of the SU-47 is in the books. Still a bit pitch sensitive and has a few interesting flight tendencies. Need to charge a few more batteries and get some flight time to figure if I need more nose weight or if it's just sensitive due to being a forward swept wing. Also i might need to adjust the incidence on the canard I think it may need some positive incidence since I had to trim alot of up elevator in flight. Also want to put printed hinges on the elevators as one is already starting to show signs of delamination.

L Edge

Master member
1st full flight of the SU-47 is in the books. Still a bit pitch sensitive and has a few interesting flight tendencies. Need to charge a few more batteries and get some flight time to figure if I need more nose weight or if it's just sensitive due to being a forward swept wing. Also i might need to adjust the incidence on the canard I think it may need some positive incidence since I had to trim alot of up elevator in flight. Also want to put printed hinges on the elevators as one is already starting to show signs of delamination.

Another area you should check is the motor/prop. If the prop pin mounting is not 90 degrees, it will cause a slight pitch down moment and change as the rpm's change.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Did some detail work yesterday and gave it some 3d printed hinges on the elevators since one was starting to delaminate. Got some more flight time today. Took a few flights to get trimmed in properly but its flying pretty nicely now. Only issue now is I wish it had more power. Dosent climb vertically like I want it to but not worth the effort to repower it so will have to do for now.
20210815_153625.jpg

20210815_152351.jpg

Matagami Designs

Master member
So I upgraded the power systems of the sukhoi over the weekend to the flite test 2207 1700 kv motor as well as their 35 amp esc and ran two 4s flights this afternoon. With the extra speed I had to totally readjust the trim to keep from ballooning and now have reduced flight time maybe 3 and a half minutes, but 4s on the Sukhoi is a blast. Only other issue I had was landing in a crosswind with the sun right in my eyes but managed to get it back on the ground without any damage. Anyone out there make one of these yet? One thing that I really enjoyed was the sound. Normal prop slot park jets can be so noisy. I dont have that issue with this setup, instead I get to hear it cutting through the air. 😁 Got to get some new flight video to show before I inevitably wreck it. 🤣

20210927_174125.jpg