Foamy Spruce Gosling

Foamy Spruce Gosling 1.0

Please log in to download

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
FoamyDM submitted a new resource:

Foamy Spruce Gosling - Build your own Spruce Goose - Micro scale 1:75

This Football field wing-span plane had held the world record as the larges plane
the Movie the Aviator documented the life of its creator Howard Hughes... the H-4 Hercules mockling called the Spruce Goose, a name it will be forever known by:
View attachment 156371
View attachment 156369

I have built this craft and know that it will fly.. so I submit this to all who are brave/foolish (there is a fine line) enough to build it "micro" 1:75 scale.
at this scale 3" propeller micro quad...

Read more about this resource...

Apis

Why do you say, "Good luck to all who attempt this." in the description for this build?

FoamyDM

I say that because this plane is an undertaking in wiring alone, let along the 8 motors, and escs. The construction of the plane is relatively simple and I wish only good luck to those who attempt it, I would love to see more people attempting it.

Also cost: this plane is at bare bones a $120 investment ($80 motors - $32 esc, +2 power dist boards, and at least 1 big battery (I assume everyone has 1), if not 2. It's worth it, just saying...

Last edited:

The Fopster

Master member
Could maybe fly with four working motors and four dummy motors to cut the cost? Enough power, do you think?

Apis

Brushed motors can be run on the same esc. Maybe the key here is too use 8 brushed quad motors.

Either all 8 on one esc, or 4 and 4 on seperate esc to allow for differental thrust.

FoamyDM

Brushed motors can be run on the same esc. Maybe the key here is too use 8 brushed quad motors.

Either all 8 on one esc, or 4 and 4 on seperate esc to allow for differental thrust.
That is a solution and I have a project that will use 20 motors, and that is exactly how I will be tackling it. I hope to have it ready by Sunday. I would love to maiden it.

Apis

That is a solution and I have a project that will use 20 motors, and that is exactly how I will be tackling it. I hope to have it ready by Sunday. I would love to maiden it.

Glad to be of help. :)

Any chance the spruce gosling plans come in a form factor compatible with a laser cutter?

FoamyDM

Any chance the spruce gosling plans come in a form factor compatible with a laser cutter?
They are done up like standard FliteTest Plans. PDF for easy printing an portability. black 100% cut, red 50%, blue 10%, green a reference. hatches for Beveling, foam removal, and paper removal. Am I missing something?

Apis

I read this backwards. you mean .dxf? possibly on a PM.

Ok, so I am a newbie to building flitetest planes, so I was hoping to get these plans cut by a laser cutter in MakerFoam to avoid cutting the bulk of the pieces myself. I have access to a public library with a large laser cutter . Alternately, if you have access to one, Id be game to buy a "kit" off of you as well.

You make so many amazing designs I actually kinda suprised that you dont sell precut kits as well.

FoamyDM

First off, thank you. I'm flattered. If they all flew half as good as they turned out, I might consider selling them as kits .

I don't have a laser cutter myself. I'm not entirely aware of what you need to get a good cut file. Closed polylines? Although a needle cutter is in a box.:unsure: I have worked in CAD softwares in some manner most of my adult life. So drawing up plans is a non-issue for me.

Regarding kits... I might someday, but right now I don't have the time and patience to dedicate to it. It is a great deal of social media, and customer service.

My time is at a premium right now. I am a single dad of 2 grades schoolers, a cubmaster, the scout district STEM guy, I just started the Aviation RC Noob podcast. And I design and build like a fool. Plus I run 2 DND campaigns, and play in another. Disc golf when the weather works out... So busy.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
can it work for someone who doesn't really know how to fly planes? also, could it work off of 8 whoop motors? brushed. I want to build it at flitefest, but it might be too expensive to get 8 pph motors.

FoamyDM

can it work for someone who doesn't really know how to fly planes? also, could it work off of 8 whoop motors? brushed. I want to build it at flitefest, but it might be too expensive to get 8 pph motors.
It could work on 2S DC motors. It might even be easier. or you just use two and the rest are dummy motors. Free spinning

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
It could work on 2S DC motors. It might even be easier. or you just use two and the rest are dummy motors. Free spinning
so it could run on just 2 gremlin motors? also, as I mentioned before, is it stable and easy to fly? I love your designs and am looking for a stable one that looks cool and can be flown by a begginner to fly at FF also do you know if they sell those 2s dc motors at FF? I am planning to build this there, and I am leaving early on sunday. do you know if I will be able ot make hte motor mounts at FF, cause I cant bring wood or a dremel.
I also just came up with another idea? could I make this with a power pack a twin? and enlarge the first motor mount? it iwll be a little unscale.
anyways, which one of your designs, if not this one would you reccommend?

Last edited:

FoamyDM

There is 270g of thrust per motor the AUW is around 850g (I thought. with 2.12kg of thrust on 3s.)
two motors gives enough for a ~1:1 thrust ratio.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
your getting 270g thrust out of a gremlin motor without overheating it? please do tell how your pulling that off. (or is this some crossing thoughts between questions and what your actually doing).

FoamyDM

no its the 1408 3" quad motor identified in the thread here. on 3s 12A is near the limit, as 4S is 15A.