FoamyDM Plan Index

XDmToter

My Sorcerer conversion is about 2.2 M and would require 4 Sheets of ModelPlaneFoam (24"x48") AND 3 Sheets of DTFB.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I updated the Plan list
It now includes all the Prandlt Projects, and the FDM Magician, including plan Links.
As well as the Sky Javelin (DTFB Sky Terror)

FoamyDM

Hello FoamyDM. I'm especially interested in seeing your Magician. I started a similar conversion years ago, but never got so far as to actually print and build it.

View attachment 218835 View attachment 218834 View attachment 218833 View attachment 218831

View attachment 218832
your Model Looks great!
Here's my what I learn from the build and maidens. - The Tail booms are weak laterally, and I could have more dihedral (while present in the main body, it didn't translate to the outer sections well.

I am curios to see how you worked out the structure for the center section. and for me, tail booms. I did not have the rudder authority I needed. So the next attempt will have Ailerons (activated with switch.) so I can start out 3 channel, then move to 4. if I need roll authority I'm not getting. If I had them I could've saved the plane and enjoyed many hours of Gliding with this model.

I put carbon on the booms eventually, but I don't think they are long enough and this model needs a solid method to stop the booms from wiggling left and right.

I have Build-ruary to finish, but once complete, I will be tackling some of these *almost* great flying models.

Short list
- FDM Magician
- FDM Sam 7
- FDM spruce Gosling
- FDM Devils' Dozen Big Bat

(Not in any particular order)

Last edited:

XDmToter

your Model Looks great!
Here's my what I learn from the build and maidens. - The Tail booms are weak, and
I am curios to see how you worked out the structure for the center section. and for me, tail booms. I did not have the rudder authority I needed. So the next attempt will have Ailerons (activated with switch.) so I can start out 3 channel, then move to 4. if I need roll authority I'm not getting. If I had them I could've saved the plane and enjoyed many hours of Gliding with this model.

I put carbon on the booms eventually, but I don't think they are long enough and this model needs a solid method to stop the booms from wiggling left and right.

I have Build-ruary to finish, but once complete, I will be tackling some of these *almost* great flying models.

Hello FoamyDM. Thank you for the reply and additional information.

All the issues you listed are part of the reason I never got around to actually building this design. ;)

I'm new to the "Flite Test" way of building. I initially started building the RCPowers planes, then I moved on to building various designs I found on RCGroups, and finally started designing my own. Then I found Flite Test, so the build techniques for DTFB with the Paper still on are a bit foreign to me.

That being said; I usually build with ModelPlaneFoam which has a nominal thickness of around 5.5 - 6 MM, and the tail booms are three sheets laminated together. I was thinking of using two 1x6mm Carbon Strips in the center layer of each of the tail booms and 3mm Carbon Tubes in the Vertical and Horizontal stabs.

I was planning on either cutting a 1/16" piece of Ply, or 3D Printing a wing stiffener for the inverted gull wing area of the center wing section.

I didn't see where you had your servos mounted. My plan was to mount the servos on the wing inline with the tail booms, and just use a long pushrod for the Rudder and use a 90 degree bellcrank to go up to the elevator. I've had bad experiences with the flexible pushrods that the original balsa plans call for.

It's difficult to tell, but in your videos I didn't notice much dihedral on the main wing. You will get better roll coupling on rudder input with more dihedral. The original plans for the Sorcerer call for 4.25" of dihedral at each wingtip.

Hopefully some day soon I will get the motivation to finally build this one.

20220214-222955.png 20220214-223055.png

FoamyDM

Hello FoamyDM. Thank you for the reply and additional information.

All the issues you listed are part of the reason I never got around to actually building this design. ;)

I'm new to the "Flite Test" way of building. I initially started building the RCPowers planes, then I moved on to building various designs I found on RCGroups, and finally started designing my own. Then I found Flite Test, so the build techniques for DTFB with the Paper still on are a bit foreign to me.

That being said; I usually build with ModelPlaneFoam which has a nominal thickness of around 5.5 - 6 MM, and the tail booms are three sheets laminated together. I was thinking of using two 1x6mm Carbon Strips in the center layer of each of the tail booms and 3mm Carbon Tubes in the Vertical and Horizontal stabs.

I was planning on either cutting a 1/16" piece of Ply, or 3D Printing a wing stiffener for the inverted gull wing area of the center wing section.

I didn't see where you had your servos mounted. My plan was to mount the servos on the wing inline with the tail booms, and just use a long pushrod for the Rudder and use a 90 degree bellcrank to go up to the elevator. I've had bad experiences with the flexible pushrods that the original balsa plans call for.

It's difficult to tell, but in your videos I didn't notice much dihedral on the main wing. You will get better roll coupling on rudder input with more dihedral. The original plans for the Sorcerer call for 4.25" of dihedral at each wingtip.

Hopefully some day soon I will get the motivation to finally build this one.

View attachment 218990 View attachment 218992
right... The main center spar has the dihedral, which didn't follow to the slide in wing as much as I expected (it seems). Having the extra angle would have help level it out.
Glad this helped.