Fokker Dr.1 Triplane Build Log

TriplaneGuy

Hi All - I thought I'd post a few photos of a Fokker triplane build I started.

I've always wanted to build a balsa Dr.1 that was large enough to have some scale but small enough to be electric powered. I finally decided on a kit from Dancing Wings Hobby. Here's a link: http://www.dwhobby.com/s18-154m-bal...ing-aircraft-wingspan-1540mm-p0625-p0625.html. This kit has about a 60" wingspan and I wasn't sure what to expect (the best part about their website is the description of the assembly difficulty as "Very Hard, Let's Mad Together"). Despite that ominous warning the quality and fit of the kit so far has been outstanding.

It sat in my garage for about a year (too many other projects) and I finally got started in July. This is only my second balsa kit so you'll need to forgive the mistakes. Here's a few pics:

IMG_2817_3.jpg

IMG_2873_1.jpg

Mounted engine box with a 600kv motor

IMG_2959_1.jpg

The wings are easily removable for transport with just one screw in each wing, which is a nice design.

IMG_2969_1.jpg

For the covering, I wanted to do something a little different from the traditional "Red Baron" red. I decided to go with a flat black with white trim / black decals.

IMG_2979_1.jpg

IMG_2984_1.jpg

IMG_2991_1.jpg

IMG_2992_1.jpg

Will post more photos as I make progress on the wings.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Great time to post this, as the little FT foamy has been seeing a surge in popularity here recently. I'm definitely a fan myself.

TriplaneGuy

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm definitely off the grid on the color selection but happy with it so far. I'll post more pics as I make progress covering the wings and adding more decals. Also planning to build some sort of cockpit instrument panel (right now it's just a big hole in the fuselage with servos in it).

Vimana89

Legendary member
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm definitely off the grid on the color selection but happy with it so far. I'll post more pics as I make progress covering the wings and adding more decals. Also planning to build some sort of cockpit instrument panel (right now it's just a big hole in the fuselage with servos in it).
I like the color scheme on yours. My little FT DR1 isn't scale at all; it's missing the cowl, and is mostly FT waterproof brown with some purple and silver vinyl here and there :LOL:.

Turbojoe

Elite member
A nice build and a welcome change from the typical red and white with iron cross covering scheme. Looking forward to completion and maiden flight.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've never been a WWI or WWII plane fan but the Fokker DR1 has always intrigued me. Not just one or two but THREE wings! Before I expire I think I'll have to build one....

Joe

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've never been a WWI or WWII plane fan but the Fokker DR1 has always intrigued me. Not just one or two but THREE wings! Before I expire I think I'll have to build one....

Joe
I always only had a passing interest in those categories as well, leaning more towards deltas, cold war jets, and weird low aspect stuff like saucer planes/Nutballs, etc., but I love my little FT DR1, and now I'm a big fan of multi-wing planes in general, so much so that I've built a four wing plane with V-tails and flat wings that's a bit like the DR1but more maneuverable/less stable. Do you plan to potentially build a FT DR1, a custom foam job, or something else like balsa?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor

Joe

WWI planes are interesting to me in part because of the huge variety of styles and colors. Somewhere in the future for me is a 1/3 scale Fokker D8. I've got the plans and an engine for it, just too many other projects in the way. :)

TriplaneGuy

Joe
I've generally been a fan of the WWII planes but decided to try building an old school biplane a couple years ago (a balsa Tiger Moth - the only other balsa plane I've built) and it turned out to be a really stable plane. You have to be almost dead stopped for it to stall. When I bought the Dr1 kit my theory was it would be even better (i.e. 3 wings must mean more lift and gentle flying, right?) but I understand now that's totally wrong. Apparently they have so much drag they can be tough to fly and a cross wind is a killer. Not sure how I'll work up the courage to maiden it when the time comes.....here's a photo of the Tiger Moth. Slightly smaller than the Dr1
Tiger Moth Finished.JPG