Fokker DR1 Scratch Build

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

In this episode of Flite Test, Josh Bixler shows us step by step, how to build the Fokker DR1 Triplane! This plane goes together very quick, is cheap to build and also very efficient when in the air. Watch this episode to learn how to build your own.

Designed by "pmjass" from rcgoups.com

Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305596

FREE PLANS: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1652858

What we used:

Built with either dollar store foam board, 6mm depron, or foam trifold display board<br>
Motor:&nbsp;Hextronic dt-750<br>
Esc:&nbsp;Turnigy Plush 25 amp ESC<br>
Servos:&nbsp;HXT 9 gram servos (3)<br>
Prop:&nbsp;11 X 4.7 SF<br>
Battery:&nbsp;Turnigy 1300 mAh 3s<br>
We simplified construction to make this build simple and with as few materials as possible.<br>
Intermediate skill level

Last edited by a moderator:

John Campbell

Goo dBuil, and Good video. Missed seeing Josh Scott, Doing color, his input was really missed. Keep up the good work.

rogerjiangcf

There are two folders inside of "Fokker DR1". One of them is "Fokker DR1 A4" and the other one is "Fokker DR1 Letter" Which one is it?

FoamFlyer

Can any tell me were to find the SE5a used in the combat video? I have only found a full fuse version but would like to find somthing more like this one.

chops1sc

I just finished my Fokker DR1! Just waiting for the motor and props from HobbyKing. What do y'all think?
46630d4f.jpg

10cac4e4.jpg

roguebytes

This looks great. Did you remove the paper from the foam board? I am not sure whether it matters or not, but there is no mention about that in the video. Here in Australia I can only get foam board covered in paper.

chops1sc

Thanks guys! The motor came in today so I hope to have it in the air soon. I left the paper on and I believe he did in the video as well. it seems to add some rigidity to the model. I have used the Dollar Tree foam on a flat foamie P-51 before and it works great as long as the paper doesn't get wet. Mine got damp from belly landings on morning flights. I just tape it back after it dries and its fine. Hopefully this one wont be getting wet since it has landing gear!

wootler

Thanks guys! The motor came in today so I hope to have it in the air soon.

Hey Chops! Looks awesome!! What paint did you use??

I haven't made the cut-out in the fuselage for my DT750 motor, and my order from HK is held-up right now due to a couple of backordered items. Is the cut-out on the plans gonna be about right for the DT750 fit??

Looking forward to your flight update!!

chops1sc

Hey Chops! Looks awesome!! What paint did you use??

I haven't made the cut-out in the fuselage for my DT750 motor, and my order from HK is held-up right now due to a couple of backordered items. Is the cut-out on the plans gonna be about right for the DT750 fit??

Looking forward to your flight update!!

I used satin red Vlaspar spray paint from Lowe's. I did about 3 coats in all by the time I got all the white covered. The black is craft paint from Wal-Mart.

As for the motor, I ended up using the Turnigy Park480 890kv since they were out of stock on the DT750. It fit in the cut out pretty well. I did fill in the long piece that was cut out (i dont know what it was for).

I built up a mount using two pieces of foam sandwiched between two pieces of styrene.
14438f4e.jpg

I hope to try it out soon!

ricknoon

This plane is definitely lighter and more unstable than the Mikeys V3 plane I built. I'm still waiting for a calm day to see what this plane can do. I flew it in ~10mph wind three times and ended up repairing it three times.

I'm concerned it might be underpowered, I'm using an exceed optima 450 1050kv and a 10x4.7 prop.

chops1sc

I made a Se5a to go along with the Fokker!

d38a7836.jpg

7faadb77.jpg

It is a good bit smaller than the DR1 but I think it will fly well (hopefully lol!).

con244

Well I've finished my first scratchbuild using foam board. I had some problems with warping of the wings which I think I've sorted out using extra wing struts from the outer wing supports to the top wings. It all looks straight at the moment. I even had a little time to make a pilot for this plane. Hope he's not the nervous kind. I have learnt a lot building this model and while it's not as pretty as some of the others I've seen in this thread I think it should fly ok. Just need to find some time to maiden it.
Cheers
Con

Attachments

• Image0159.jpg
    Image0159.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Image0158.jpg
    Image0158.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Image0157.jpg
    Image0157.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 50