Fokker DR1

PyroMan

Assuming you used spray-paint, what kind/color did you use?

Does painting it increase the weight a significant amount?

earthsciteach

It may, but you can offset the weight with a more powerful motor. I'm building a biplane from $ store foam. It will fly on a 2712-12 motor and 2200 mah, 7.4V lipo. Airframe cost - $1. Airframe reinforcements - free (courtesy of Starbuck's coffee stirrers). Motor and electronics - $35-40. Hard to beat that!

earthsciteach

Oh, and spray paint MUST be foam safe. Testors is the easiest way to go, but more expensive.

I haven't painted the plane. I want to get it into the air before I commit the time to make it look pretty.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
The DT-750 that they recommend has plenty of power- enough that painting the foam wouldn't hurt it's flight characteristics-

Teach- What? no pictures?

earthsciteach

Scratch built Bipe pics

Here ya are, Ninja. The top wing is just set in place in the pics - not attached, yet. Tail surfaces aren't attached, either. It is loosely based on the SE-5A.

Attachments

• Bipe1.jpg
    Bipe1.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Bipe2.jpg
    Bipe2.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Bipe3.jpg
    Bipe3.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 27

PyroMan

Well since I'm leaving the paper on the foam can I not use just cheap spray paint from Walmart especially if I do light coats?

earthsciteach

You may be able to get away with that if you are very careful and only dust it lightly. Try it on a couple of scraps and see how it goes!

The paper does tend to peel up at the edges of the foam pieces, though. You may end up adding a lot of tape at the edges to keep it from doing so as time goes on.

Zach Scott

Okay I have printed these plans out and have started cutting and lining things up but they don't seem to match up perfectly. Any pointers guys. Mickeysrc plans have much easyier to use plans. Any help would be awesome.

Have never really Done a scratch build but it doesn't make since that some of the pages line up perfectly and others don't.

earthsciteach

Not really possible to diagnose your problem without a lot of pics. Check your templates to make sure you didn't miss or add in cuts.

con244

Yes the dr1. I guess I did something wrong just trying to figure out what
Zach did you print the A4 or Letter sized plans? Was your printer set to print the correct size?. I think if you print letter sized on A4 sized paper you may have problems getting everything to line up properly. I printed the A4 plans on A4 paper and it all matched perfectly. Something I noticed that was different from Scott B's scratchbuild video is that all the bottom pieces have been cut as one, as have the wings. A great idea for extra strength and less messing about with joining bits. I just wish we could get thew $ store foam over here in Aus. Having a devil of a time finding a supplier here in Adelaide.
Cheers
Con

Zach Scott

I think i figured it out. i was just cutting to the wrong lines. I am a newb to this so was just over thinking it.

93dded17.jpg

So this is what it should look like.
70d45ffd.jpg

Zach Scott

I was overlapping but found it easier to line up closer to that line and anything outside of it is just duplicate to help you line it up. I may be wrong but that is the way it looks to me.

Now that I have this all taped together looks like Josh B. did the center section one piece and the wings one piece. The planes are in halves so I am guess you just make duplicates of the wing so they will match or at least that is what I am gonna try to do.

Any advice would be good again this is my first scratch build that was not precut(leadfeather Pbf).

PyroMan

So I spray painted my dollar tree foam board and it worked great. I did a bunch of light coats so it wouldn't eat up the foam. I had no problems with melting the foam. I used Krylon Italian Olive spray paint.

I built the SE5a that Chris flew in the video. I still need to put a guy in the cockpit and buy some bigger wheels but I can't wait to maiden it, I think it's gonna be pretty cool.

photo (1).JPG
-Nicholas