Folding props

nilsen

Howzit guys,

I am building a larger aerial hex to carry NEX / DSLR sized cameras but the larger the frame, the more challengning to transport. I'm going to get the umbrella style folding frame so either:
  1. I take the props off when transporting
  2. get folding props
I was wondering if anyone has used folding props and if there are significant performance losses or if they suffer from structrual weakness because of the pivot hole.

Thanks!

Cheers

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I have a Graupner CF Folding Prop on my Radian. It's built like a tank. I don't think it would work on an arm mounted motor unless it was high enough above the arm to provide clearance when folded. I also have some doubts about what their efficiency is compare to a non-folding prop. The are fine (perfect) for a glider like the Radian, but for a multirotor - I dunno.

Best regards,
PCH

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I would think right off that trying to balance so many folding props would be a bit of a nightmare... and having to dynamically balance props you add and remove to motors is a bit of a pain. I would try to keep the props as solidly mounted as possible on a multirotor, but that's just me. I spent so much time balancing the props, motors individually, then dynamically balancing them, I would not want to face that again. Actually makes me fly way more conservatively so I don't have to repeat that process too many times!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I could be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time), but I think there are folding props available specifically for large multirotors. Traditional folding props like the Graupners are unacceptable for this purpose as they fold along the wrong axis and thereby require you to start the motors with the model held inverted.

Edit: Tigermotor, DJI, and Tarot all make folding multicopter props. They are a bit pricey...you've been warned.

Last edited:

nilsen

I have seen the folding props, they seem to stop at 15 inch but I was wondering whether, because of the holder in the middle they are less efficient, maybe it's negliable.
They now make folding props for smallish multi's with 10 inch props etc. I think it'll catch on even more a portability becomes an issue.
I agree with you Makattack as balancing is a pain, I guess if I go for the umbrella style folding hex I'll just have to remove the props each time I transport it. Pity.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
I could be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time), but I think there are folding props available specifically for large multirotors. Traditional folding props like the Graupners are unacceptable for this purpose as they fold along the wrong axis and thereby require you to start the motors with the model held inverted.
Yes, multirotor folding props are different than fixed wing folding props.

maxresdefault.jpg