Folger Tech 2020 Prusa i3 Build Log

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
You are hilarious!! You should start a blog!:D

I actually have one...but haven't updated it in years: http://www.nevermindthesand.com/ Been thinking about giving it a facelift and starting to post on it about hobby stuff more frequently...but can't really justify the time to maintain it AND post on forums. So if it comes down to one or the other I tend to go with forums since I'd rather help others by reaching more people - while posting on my blog can bring me ad revenue...but reach fewer people. Of course if I really applied myself to publicizing it and using it it's reach could grow...but...then it feels like work and not a hobby and I loose interest :)

I got a free sample from quantum too. You should check out cubicity for free samples! I got seven 10m samples for $7!

I'll check them out! I've been looking at places like Filabits and GlobalFSDUSA to get some exotic stuff to try...but want to get it up and going with PLA/ABS first.

USPS tracking updated today despite the holiday....the printer is in town and my filament is in PHX...so still looking good for delivery tomorrow :D

Wife surprised me pretty good this morning too. Found a new lighted magnifier that's way better than my old one, a new airbrush, and a set of bluebeam antennas under the tree :D

markyoe

I actually have one...but haven't updated it in years: http://www.nevermindthesand.com/ Been thinking about giving it a facelift and starting to post on it about hobby stuff more frequently...but can't really justify the time to maintain it AND post on forums. So if it comes down to one or the other I tend to go with forums since I'd rather help others by reaching more people - while posting on my blog can bring me ad revenue...but reach fewer people. Of course if I really applied myself to publicizing it and using it it's reach could grow...but...then it feels like work and not a hobby and I loose interest :)

I'll check them out! I've been looking at places like Filabits and GlobalFSDUSA to get some exotic stuff to try...but want to get it up and going with PLA/ABS first.

USPS tracking updated today despite the holiday....the printer is in town and my filament is in PHX...so still looking good for delivery tomorrow :D

Wife surprised me pretty good this morning too. Found a new lighted magnifier that's way better than my old one, a new airbrush, and a set of bluebeam antennas under the tree :D

I got a thermochanging PLA (and one other that I forget) for GlobalFSDUSA. I haven't tried them out yet though.

What do you guys think about me installing M8 thread rods for now until the lead screws? I have a long M8 and it looks straight.

Merry Christmas btw!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
What do you guys think about me installing M8 thread rods for now until the lead screws? I have a long M8 and it looks straight.

I doubt it would make much of a difference. If it's a lot straighter then it might make a small difference. But it's the style of threads and nut on the lead screws that makes the big difference over normal threaded rod. Shouldn't hurt to try...but I wouldn't expect much in the way of improvement. Not that I have any hands on experience yet - just general knowledge about mechanics :D

Merry Christmas btw!

And to you and everyone else as well! My wife had to work today so I've been playing single parent with my 5 year old daughter who didn't sleep much last night. It's been a LONG day :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I'll probably be starting my own build thread if no one objects - let Markyoe keep this one for his experiences :D

That said USPS has had me going crazy all day. Packages showed out for delivery at 9:30AM. Our mail usually shows up by 1PM. 5PM and still no mail I was getting nervous. Though my wife had to work today and I had to watch our daughter so even if it had come at the usual time I wouldn't have been able to do anything with it. Finally at 7PM USPS showed up (They also brought me a signed FT poster, not sure how/why I go that..even odder I JUST yesterday cleared off a bunch of space on a wall here in the "den"!)

Was able to sneak in a quick initial inventory and all packages in the box were accounted for but I wasn't able to dig in on the full parts inventory until after my daughters 8PM bedtime. 1 hour later I just finished fully going through the Hardware bag and I'm happy to report not one thing missing. In fact they seem to be working to loose the rep for missing parts - either that or all the missing parts out there ended up in my kit. I had 2-6 spares of every screw, nut, washer, bolt, bracket, clamp and bearing in the hardware bag! Not one thing missing!

A user NutronFluxLabs in the#folgertech IRC channel on freenode also sent me this link to his errata for the Folger instructions: http://pastebin.com/dh4yZHhE

So about time to dig in!

Oh - and it sounds like NeutronFluxLabs may be coming over to our forums to visit. I forgot which IRC channel I was in and complained about the 45mph winds we're having today keeping me from flying in the folger channel. Got to talking with him and he wants to get into quads so I sent him this way ;)

Ok...time to go dig in on this build for real! Will probably start my own build thread soon - but may just post it on my blog (which I dusted off this morning and did some upgrades on) and link it from here instead. We don't really need 3 or 4 folger build threads....do we :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Oh yeah, I also got a 5.3kg stepper for the Y axis even though the package still says 4.8kg Not sure if they ran out or are upgrading the kit :D

Packaging on the kit isn't great..but it does appear to be sufficient as nothing appears to be damaged or missing.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I got my printer, or should I say parts, the other day. Package was in very good condition. There are a lot of bags with goodies inside. A quick inventory of the bags showed I had everything, but I could not be sure everything was there until I started building.

Building is fairly straight forward with the step by step instructions. There are however, numerous typos, blank spaces, and incorrect/unclear pictures strung throughout, but they are easy to dodge around. A quick revision by Folger would have helped a lot though. Already there are some mods that I want to make to the design to make it a little more robust or aesthetically pleasing. I though about making a new thread with the build log, but I figured much of the build would look exactly like markyoe has, plus my work space is in no way a photogenic condition. I think I'll make a thread when it is done and working as a place to post the mods I make and personal choices.

Some notes of what I've experienced so far:
-The printed parts are printed in a rough resolution (very noticeable lines). They fit just fine, with the exception of some holes I had to drill out, but I will definitely print some nicer/upgraded versions when I can. The limit switch holders especially look flimsy and could have been designed better.
-Sorting the hardware and having a ruler/caliper out to measure bolt sizes is a really good move.
-The instructions are poor at describing positions with relation to the frame. For example nowhere does it way where to secure the print bed rails and motor.

I'll probably think of more later. When I'm done building I will probably post some of the ways I differed from the instructions. No pictures yet though :/ Let me know how you are doing jhitesma and markyoe.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
A user NutronFluxLabs in the#folgertech IRC channel on freenode also sent me this link to his errata for the Folger instructions: http://pastebin.com/dh4yZHhE

Ah I wish I found that before I started building :D I will check it out tomorrow and get up to speed.

Oh yeah, I also got a 5.3kg stepper for the Y axis even though the package still says 4.8kg Not sure if they ran out or are upgrading the kit :D

I will have to check mine tomorrow and see if I have a 5.3kg as well. Maybe they just like you :p

P.S. can someone post a picture of the fully wired RAMPS board. The orientation of the motor wires is confusing. Also I need to find how to connect the LCD.

markyoe

I'll probably be starting my own build thread if no one objects - let Markyoe keep this one for his experiences :D

That said USPS has had me going crazy all day. Packages showed out for delivery at 9:30AM. Our mail usually shows up by 1PM. 5PM and still no mail I was getting nervous. Though my wife had to work today and I had to watch our daughter so even if it had come at the usual time I wouldn't have been able to do anything with it. Finally at 7PM USPS showed up (They also brought me a signed FT poster, not sure how/why I go that..even odder I JUST yesterday cleared off a bunch of space on a wall here in the "den"!)

Was able to sneak in a quick initial inventory and all packages in the box were accounted for but I wasn't able to dig in on the full parts inventory until after my daughters 8PM bedtime. 1 hour later I just finished fully going through the Hardware bag and I'm happy to report not one thing missing. In fact they seem to be working to loose the rep for missing parts - either that or all the missing parts out there ended up in my kit. I had 2-6 spares of every screw, nut, washer, bolt, bracket, clamp and bearing in the hardware bag! Not one thing missing!

So about time to dig in!

Oh - and it sounds like NeutronFluxLabs may be coming over to our forums to visit. I forgot which IRC channel I was in and complained about the 45mph winds we're having today keeping me from flying in the folger channel. Got to talking with him and he wants to get into quads so I sent him this way ;)

Ok...time to go dig in on this build for real! Will probably start my own build thread soon - but may just post it on my blog (which I dusted off this morning and did some upgrades on) and link it from here instead. We don't really need 3 or 4 folger build threads....do we :D

Yay! You guys got your printers!! The ft poster is the ft extra mystery gift. I got it too!

Yeah, the printed parts that come with it aren't very impressive. I read a bunch of those notes that you linked and I had discovered a lot of the same problems on my own. I wish I would have had that before. :D

I am still waiting for my leadscrews. I think they still haven't shipped because I ordered them right before Christmas.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
And here's where I'm stopping for the night. I could probably go on and finish the mechanical section tonight...but then I know I'd be too tired to do the electrical tomorrow. I'd rather stop now and get some good rest. Then tomorrow see how far I can get.

20151227_005422.jpg

I'm finding that even though I'm not missing any parts I am "missing parts" because the instructions call for things that aren't in the parts list.

Like the screws that mount the SK8's. The instructions call for M5x8mm bolts to attach the SK8's...but the only M5 bolts listed in the kit BOM are 10mm. So I assume they should be used there.

And the screws for attaching the heated bed it calls for...oh wait...I seem to have misread that somehow...ok, fixed turns out those screws weren't missing :D

Yeah...time to call it a night!

markyoe

Looking good! I think the couplers for the threaded rods are part of the z ribbing problem. If you think about it, you will realize that the two set screws just push the threaded rod to one "side" of the coupler, making it off center. Anyway......that was just me thinking.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Looking good! I think the couplers for the threaded rods are part of the z ribbing problem. If you think about it, you will realize that the two set screws just push the threaded rod to one "side" of the coupler, making it off center. Anyway......that was just me thinking.

Interesting thought. I might just order some lead screws now so they are here when I am ready. Today I am going to pick up some glass and hopefully can try a test print today.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I'm together but...

Extruder thermister isn't reading just like marky's wasn't Nothing when I check it with the meter, while the hotbed shows 104k If I swap them on the board it goes past the error and I can move things...but the x is reversed...I followed the modified instructions to move the endstop to the left and reverse things but must have missed a step somewhere.

Y and Z seem to be working. Z doesn't sound super happy...but not too worried about that just yet.

Marky, I forget. Did you remove the 3rd screw and T nut from the Z axis motor mounts and make sure the chromed rods were parallel with the vertical 2020's? That's one step in the modified instructions that says not doing will cause all kinds of z axis issues because that 3rd screw pulls the threaded and chromed rods out of square.

So need to get a new thermister and tweak the hotend and need figure out this X axis. Probably not going to get to print tonight due to the bad thermister :(

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Ok, figured out the thermister issue was a broken leg. Soldered it back together and put it in there. It's wonky but will do for now, ordered 3 replacements off Amazon that will be here wednesday.

Z is just slow...doesn't actually sound that bad X is kind of noisy, and it's motor is running a bit hot so I need to play with it some.

I got about halfway through Triffids calibration guide http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter's_Calibration_Guide (I reached the slicer settings) and decided to just go and do a test. Was going to just do a little test cube...but didn't have one ready to go. First file I saw on hand was a bracket for the LCD screen (which I don't have working yet)...yeah...I'll give that a go it looks kind of simple.

Wasted a bit of filament doing the extrusion steps calibration, not huge on this orange and have a whole roll of it so didn't mind wasting some:
2015-12-27 23.29.09.jpg

Wow, looks like the first layer is actually sticking, I didn't even use any gluestick or hair spray or painters tape....nothing.
2015-12-27 23.17.03.jpg

The holes for the screws printed!
2015-12-27 23.23.58.jpg

Wow! Did NOT expect this to actually work for a first test! Too cool!
2015-12-27 23.28.41.jpg

So I've still got issues. Going to have to talk to folger about getting a replacement fan and thermister (I ordered a replacement already but only because I didn't want to wait for them to ship one. And the X axis is still mirrored and noisy - need to give it a little TLC.

But wow am I impressed! Just barely 29 hours from when I opened the box of parts and thought "what have I got myself into this time" and I've got my first printed part sitting in front of me!

And the matching bracket for the otherside just printed too :D Yeah...I'm going to sleep well tonight!

wilsonb

You should lower the current on the x axis stepper driver. Strange Noise and motor heat are usually signs that it is too high.

Did you measure the thickness of your part to see if it is what it should be? I remember Mark having a problem with incorrect Z steps loaded on his controller, so his parts were short.

PLA sticks just fine to CLEAN glass. Since clean is the key there, I don't bother with it because anything on the glass will cause problems. I use blue tape on aluminum with my printrbot play, and glue stick on glass with my reprap with a heated bed. The glue stick on glass works just fine for PLA, ABS, nylon, and ninjaflex.

With all this 3D printing going on here, maybe one of us should start a thread centered on printing objects for RC. I haven't seen anything like that on this forum.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
You should lower the current on the x axis stepper driver. Strange Noise and motor heat are usually signs that it is too high.

Yeah, I need to check the current on all of the steppers still, I fully expect it's a bit too high.

Did you measure the thickness of your part to see if it is what it should be? I remember Mark having a problem with incorrect Z steps loaded on his controller, so his parts were short.

I did measure...but not sure what the dimensions were supposed to be :D It's almost a perfect 1/4" tall though so I'm assuming that's what it was designed as. Will take a closer look at the files this evening to be sure and start printing some better calibration bits once I get a different fan on there.

PLA sticks just fine to CLEAN glass. Since clean is the key there, I don't bother with it because anything on the glass will cause problems. I use blue tape on aluminum with my printrbot play, and glue stick on glass with my reprap with a heated bed. The glue stick on glass works just fine for PLA, ABS, nylon, and ninjaflex.

Well I did windex it :D I figured PLA would be fairly easy. Have a roll of ABS to try as well but want to get things dialed in better and get the extruder fan fixed before I try it though.

With all this 3D printing going on here, maybe one of us should start a thread centered on printing objects for RC. I haven't seen anything like that on this forum.

I've got a bit to go before I can tackle that :D But I have a few things in mind when the time is right ;)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor

Forgot to add that I'm using TheRippa's version of Marlin pre-configured for this printer:
https://github.com/therippa/Marlin

The z steps were pre-set to 4000 which seems correct for this 5mm threaded rod. (My lead screws shipped today!)

I did have to up the e-steps from his default 90 to 100 which has me pretty close on extrusion. When I have it do 100mm it actually does about 96mm. So I can still dial that in a bit better - but didn't want to spend time on it until I get the fan working.

3rd time was NOT the charm for me last night. The two LCD mounting brackets both printed well. The 2nd one didn't go quite as smooth as the first, a little bit of filament had extruded while the hot end was heating and it caught on the skirt leaving a bit of a blob. The piece itself still came out ok. My 3rd print though...I tried something I figured would fail and wasn't disappointed. My daughter loves penguins so I tried doing this scaled down 40% http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22981

Made it about 40% through before running into trouble:

I think without the fan the cold side of the extruder got too warm and my filament softened up getting jammed. The bottom sure came out nice though :D

Oh and here's the bulk of the build compressed down to a few minutes.

First four 4 hours:

Day two:

I stopped the timelapse when I reached a point I was ready to play with software/firmware. I ended up doing a bunch of cleanup on the wiring while waiting on downloads/flashes/builds and thinking about what to do, so that part didn't get included.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Mine is all assembled, but I got the same issue as Markyoe had. Except for me I am getting a MAXTEMP error with the bed thermistor instead of the extruder. I checked the resistances of both thermistors and they are within the correct range. I also tried wilsonb's swapping of the pins idea and it did not work (not sure I did it right though since markyoe had the extruder not the bed). I also tried swapping the extruder and bed thermistors and could read the temp of the bed thermistor when it took the place of the extruder thermistor. So I think that shows the thermistors are not broken, but reading for the bed is. My thermistors are plugged in exactly like they are in the build guide, right next to eachother, TP0 and TP1 extruder and bed respectively.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
That's a bummer Snarls, sounds like it's either the RAMPS or the arduino then. The soldering on the RAMPS boards is really crummy so I wouldn't be surprised if it's at fault. The arduino's look pretty decent, at least mine does.

I contacted them by e-mail today and they said they're sending a new hot end and fan, all I wanted was a thermister but I'll gladly take a whole hot end instead! I put on a fan from an old motherboard temporarially but it's not quite the right size and runs kind of rough. Better than nothing though until the replacement gets here.

Just checked the current setting on my stepper drivers, 0.42 is the suggested starting point on these and I was seeing over 0.6 on all of them, no wonder my steppers were running warm and noisy. Turned them all down and things should be better.

Cleaned out the clog from yesterday so almost ready to go for it again...except the hot end thermister broke again...so I've got to fire up the soldering iron and fix that again.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
A bummer it is indeed. I just sent Folger an email so I'll see if the respond tomorrow. I'll try some more experimenting to get it working, but if the board is indeed bad I will have to wait. The programming is not my strong suit so this part of 3D printing is a bit rough on me. I guess it could be a good time to get started on my new AP build with the parts sitting here.