Following instructions (first post)

Hoomi

Master member
I'd love to take credit for the leading edge slats, but they're part of the original Flite Test design, and are included in the speed-build kit. One of the great things is that they're easily removable, allowing the pilot to decide whether to fly with or without them.

The slats are discussed in the "Quick Tips" video for the Storch, including how to build and install them.

Figure9

Elite member
I'd love to take credit for the leading edge slats, but they're part of the original Flite Test design, and are included in the speed-build kit. One of the great things is that they're easily removable, allowing the pilot to decide whether to fly with or without them.

The slats are discussed in the "Quick Tips" video for the Storch, including how to build and install them.

I saw this Storch Slat video a while back while frivolously wasting hours of my day watching FT resource stuff, thankfully, the rest of my day I spend constructively building foam board aircraft projects. It would be cool to figure out a way to provide ‘retractable’ slats & fowler flaps for an otherwise fast flyer. I use a DX6e so far in my builds & my building skillset is currently limited to rectangles, simple wings & hinged flight controls. Time for me to do some research to see what others have concockted.

Figure9

Elite member
I saw this Storch Slat video a while back while frivolously wasting hours of my day watching FT resource stuff, thankfully, the rest of my day I spend constructively building foam board aircraft projects. It would be cool to figure out a way to provide ‘retractable’ slats & fowler flaps for an otherwise fast flyer. I use a DX6e so far in my builds & my building skillset is currently limited to rectangles, simple wings & hinged flight controls. Time for me to do some research to see what others have concockted.

FT posted this giant size version. It’s all abut the fowler hinge guides. Use the same servo with a dual servo arm to get the reverse direction for retractable slats. I’m thinking it’s a good idea to build this project as a test on a board not intended to be used as a wing, like the guy did in the video.

Ryder

Welcome! I have a similar back story. Just built the FT Duster. I like the simple scout, but ordered the Storch to go with my DXe.
Should have ordered the Simple Scout first. The Duster flies fast and twitchy, the Storch had all kinds of teething issues, but the Simple Scout flies like a dream! Went to Flite Fest and nearly everyone there recommended the Simple Scout. My son and I regularly go “Scouting” with his mini Scout and my full size one.

Attachments

• 273BC1ED-CBE2-4723-B16C-EA3FB20F3226.jpeg
    273BC1ED-CBE2-4723-B16C-EA3FB20F3226.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 28A8A1C6-41D3-475D-A9CD-53EBF9642F85.jpeg
    28A8A1C6-41D3-475D-A9CD-53EBF9642F85.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

Captain Jay

Elite member
My son is 5.5 years old. I have surprises waiting for him. Lots of 1/24 size slot car track and cars, music of any kind he wants to do and RC stuff. I can't wait to do father son flying and stuff. I also want him to stay 5.5 hahaha

K3V0

Elite member
Your storch is looking great! It’s cool to follow your build process. I have to add that I like your struts and the tail wheel specifically! (They add a lot to the look, nice job!)I really like how it has a scale take off. And when it’s balanced well, it cruises around fantastic. I built my second one during @FoamyDM’s Build-uary challenge and I’m trying out slats for the first time too.
7F35E45B-D8B7-4515-A573-053BD4D70FF4.jpeg
It’s nice the LG survived from the last one and I was able to fix it a bit and move it right away over. It was actually the plane I built after the mini scout. They’re really different planes of course but a great combo to bring to the field. I hope it is lots of fun for you!

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
I should be able to get the FT Mustang painted this weekend, and then apply the decals once the paint is fully dry. I'm liking how it's turning out.

Then, I think I'm going to build the Bushwacker for a "Quarantine Build". The big question will be, do I add a biohazard sticker to the plane somewhere? Or a Corona Beer sticker?

Figure9

Elite member
I should be able to get the FT Mustang painted this weekend, and then apply the decals once the paint is fully dry. I'm liking how it's turning out.

Then, I think I'm going to build the Bushwacker for a "Quarantine Build". The big question will be, do I add a biohazard sticker to the plane somewhere? Or a Corona Beer sticker?

Bio-Hazard sticker !!! Muahahaha...Snort...Hahahahaha...

Hoomi

Master member
I should check with the better half, and see if she can find some kind of bio-hazard sticker she can make on her Cricut machine. :)

By the way, there's a topic for the Quarantine 2020 build over in the members' challenges section. I'll go grab the link for it here in a minute.