Following instructions (first post)

Hoomi

Master member
Motion RC is running a crash contest. I edited the video from my eFlite Cherokee crashed and posted it. It's only taken me almost a year and a half to edit and upload the record of my costly oops. I still haven't repaired her yet.

Hoomi

Master member
There are some pretty spectacular crash videos already posted in the contest, so I'm not holding my breath. It is fun to enter, though.

stew64

Hello, I am super new to the hobby amnd the forum. That being said i have enjoyed building several of the speed build kits (storch, cub, bushwhacker, and explorer).I am currently working on a scratch build of the sportster. to see how that comes out. Actually flew the bushwhacker today and it was great until the esc overheated and down she went. this is fun trying to figure out how to get them to fly. I do struggle to get the FT planes off the ground for take off but they hand launch very well.

JennyC6

Elite member
Hello, I am super new to the hobby amnd the forum. That being said i have enjoyed building several of the speed build kits (storch, cub, bushwhacker, and explorer).I am currently working on a scratch build of the sportster. to see how that comes out. Actually flew the bushwhacker today and it was great until the esc overheated and down she went. this is fun trying to figure out how to get them to fly. I do struggle to get the FT planes off the ground for take off but they hand launch very well.

Apply power slow and steady, get on the rudder and keep it aligned with the runway as it builds speed, use all the runway if you need to. The plane will lift off when it is ready to fly, all you're doing is giving it airspeed and keeping it aligned with the runway until it decides its ready to fly. Applying power too quickly/suddenly or trying to force it up off the ground are the two most common mistakes newbies make on take-off and it's very easy to do on electrics that weigh so little for how much thrust they have.

Hoomi

Master member
Adding just a bit to JennyC6's advice above, I've found with the Scout, Storch, and Mustang from Flite Test, that they will take off fine at around half-throttle or so. With the Scout, when I went full throttle, I would lift off quickly, but with serious "torque roll" to the left. Going half-throttle, she rolls forward, stays fairly easy to control, and lifts off nicely.

This was one of the latest flights with the Scout (*grumble* 7 weeks ago *grumble* quarantine...):
(Edit: the last flight was 7 weeks ago. This one was a few weeks earlier, but I didn't post a video from the latest)

Compare the take-off with the one from the maiden flight, where I went pretty much full-throttle. I managed to recover from the torque roll, but I find it a far more relaxing flight when I don't have to deal with it.

JennyC6

Elite member
Adding just a bit to JennyC6's advice above, I've found with the Scout, Storch, and Mustang from Flite Test, that they will take off fine at around half-throttle or so. With the Scout, when I went full throttle, I would lift off quickly, but with serious "torque roll" to the left. Going half-throttle, she rolls forward, stays fairly easy to control, and lifts off nicely.

This was one of the latest flights with the Scout (*grumble* 7 weeks ago *grumble* quarantine...):

Compare the take-off with the one from the maiden flight, where I went pretty much full-throttle. I managed to recover from the torque roll, but I find it a far more relaxing flight when I don't have to deal with it.
Even my comparatively heavy and underpowered balsa glow birds usually lift off fine around half power or so. I seldom jam my throttle wide open for takeoff. Can also see how, in your maiden takeoff, the plane veers hard left before it even leaves the ground, whereas in the later flight it tracks true.

It's something I've noticed a lot with pilots who start out, have always flown electric foamies. They get so used to the stupidly high thrust/weight ratios and instant response which lets them get away with that like in your Scout's maiden that they never question why it does that. You do that with an old, heavy balsa plane and it turns into toothpicks on the side of the runway, but modern electric foamies can just brute force themselves up and a lot of pilots get too comfortable with that.

As an aside, I'm twitchy to get my Simple Scout project underway, but I need to get down to my LHS to do anything with it. Gotta get some hardwood beams to use for mounting lugs as I'm gonna use an FS-26 Surpass in it instead of a B-pack. Wonder if I'm gonna have more or less torque roll problems...

Hoomi

Master member
In my Scout, I'm running an Axi 2212/20 Goldline motor that I got in a box of surplus parts from essentially an estate sale. I think it has enough power, that I could do a vertical take-off if I wanted. I think it's seriously overpowered, but as nice as it flies, I'm not going to complain. I have a bigger Goldline motor that came in the same box of stuff, that I keep thinking about building a 180% Scout for it to power.

Right now, though, I'm focusing on the Trimotor project.

JennyC6

Elite member
In my Scout, I'm running an Axi 2212/20 Goldline motor that I got in a box of surplus parts from essentially an estate sale. I think it has enough power, that I could do a vertical take-off if I wanted. I think it's seriously overpowered, but as nice as it flies, I'm not going to complain. I have a bigger Goldline motor that came in the same box of stuff, that I keep thinking about building a 180% Scout for it to power.

Right now, though, I'm focusing on the Trimotor project.
My FS26 is swinging a 9-6 TF wood at around 9800 static. Should be more than enough poke to go Space Shuttle Status on a simple scout as long as I don't build too heavy. Should also look quite snazzy on the nose. Debating if I wanna run a spinner or not. Spinner makes starting it easier, but itt'l look more 'correct' without one. Decisions decisions...

Hoomi

Master member
New plane arrived this week. I had some Motion RC gift cards to spend, and decided to pull the trigger on another EDF. Here's the new bird, a Freewing 70mm Rebel V2, posing with her smaller sister, the Freewing 64mm Stinger. No flying this weekend, but maybe I'll get her up for a maiden next weekend.

The Rebel has retracts and flaps, and flies on 4S power.

Rebel.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
New plane arrived this week. I had some Motion RC gift cards to spend, and decided to pull the trigger on another EDF. Here's the new bird, a Freewing 70mm Rebel V2, posing with her smaller sister, the Freewing 64mm Stinger. No flying this weekend, but maybe I'll get her up for a maiden next weekend.

The Rebel has retracts and flaps, and flies on 4S power.

View attachment 176742
That looks amazing!

Hoomi

Master member
I commented to my wife a while back, that I should start logging my RC flights, mostly for my own use. I'm sometimes curious as to how many times I've flown a particular plane, and jotting down what I flew that day would keep a record of that.

She made me a logbook cover, keeping with my Air Hooterville theme. Machine-embroidered vinyl, and holds a small notebook available from department stores for under a buck.

FlightLogbook.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I commented to my wife a while back, that I should start logging my RC flights, mostly for my own use. I'm sometimes curious as to how many times I've flown a particular plane, and jotting down what I flew that day would keep a record of that.

She made me a logbook cover, keeping with my Air Hooterville theme. Machine-embroidered vinyl, and holds a small notebook available from department stores for under a buck.

View attachment 177856
Looks awesome!

mayan

Legendary member

View attachment 177856
WOW that's beautiful :).

slowjo

Master member

View attachment 177856
Hog Wild:cool: my wife liked it, she was a pig farmers daughter