Following instructions (first post)

Hoomi

Master member
Well, since it says, "New guy or girl! Post here," I'll post here.

I've been going by "Hoomi" on various forums for pushing 20 years now, after first using it in Ultima Online as a character name, derived from, "Who, me?"

I've been flying RC for about a year and a half now, starting with a Flyzone Calypso, followed by the Flyzone Sensei. I've since added a Dynam Waco, an eFlite Cherokee (crashed, awaiting repair), and a Freewing Stinger 64 (waiting to get the nerve up to maiden my first EDF).

The Flite Test videos have been regulars on my YouTube watching for a while, mostly because they always seem to be having a great time, and they don't just show the impressive successes.

I'm a member at, and fly with, Southern Arizona Gliders and Electrics (SAGE), in Marana, Arizona (just outside of Tucson).

I picked up my first FT speed-build kit, and hope to have the Simple Scout ready to fly soon.

Anyway, that's the introduction in a nutshell.

Hoomi

Master member
So far, I have the power pod and wing built, but didn't snap any photos in-process. Next time I get down to the dungeon to work on it, I'll take a few.

I plan on painting it the same yellow as the Waco, mostly because that's an easy color to see in flight.

In the meantime, here's the link to the maiden flight video of the Waco, which I had way too much fun customizing. I'm really happy with how the flying lines turned out.

Dynam Waco Maiden Flight

Mad_Mechanic

Welcome to the family!

I recently finished my first ft speed build kit (Explorer) but I've been eyeing the scout lately too.

Hope your build goes well! The build videos are a great resource and do a great job of walking you through the build process.

Hoomi

Master member
Just found a 'Y' connector in a box of miscellaneous parts I bought a few months back, so I have that covered, though I might look into doing the flaperon set-up. I've never tried a plane with flaperons, so the Scout might be a good one to play with that.

JennyC6

Elite member
Welcome aboard! The FT family's great and I can't wait to see your build!

I'm currently working on putting Cox motors on Mighty Minis! So much fun to build these things however you want and nobody ever nitpicks your choices. They'll point out mistakes, but they don't say you're doing it wrong unless it's a technical thing(Like how on my FT Spear I folded the wings inside out and someone pointed that out~). It's wonderful.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Just found a 'Y' connector in a box of miscellaneous parts I bought a few months back, so I have that covered, though I might look into doing the flaperon set-up. I've never tried a plane with flaperons, so the Scout might be a good one to play with that.

if at all possible i always setup my planes as flaperons, even if i never have any intention of even using flaps. i like that it allows you to have individual control of each aileron for trimming. this is handy when building your own planes, plus it eliminates the need for a separate y-plug.

laters,

me :cool:

Ryder

Well, since it says, "New guy or girl! Post here," I'll post here.

I've been going by "Hoomi" on various forums for pushing 20 years now, after first using it in Ultima Online as a character name, derived from, "Who, me?"

I've been flying RC for about a year and a half now, starting with a Flyzone Calypso, followed by the Flyzone Sensei. I've since added a Dynam Waco, an eFlite Cherokee (crashed, awaiting repair), and a Freewing Stinger 64 (waiting to get the nerve up to maiden my first EDF).

The Flite Test videos have been regulars on my YouTube watching for a while, mostly because they always seem to be having a great time, and they don't just show the impressive successes.

I'm a member at, and fly with, Southern Arizona Gliders and Electrics (SAGE), in Marana, Arizona (just outside of Tucson).

I picked up my first FT speed-build kit, and hope to have the Simple Scout ready to fly soon.

Anyway, that's the introduction in a nutshell.
Welcome! I have a similar back story. Just built the FT Duster. I like the simple scout, but ordered the Storch to go with my DXe.

Hoomi

Master member
I'd like to say there was a lot of thought and research behind my purchase of the Simple Scout, but the reality is, the Provo Hobbytown only had 2 or 3 FT Speedbuild kits in stock, and the Simple Scout looked like the best for a first-time builder (and flyer) of the FT kits.

I'm a big proponent of supporting local businesses whenever we can. Places like Flite Test and Motion RC offer nice selections and competitive pricing, but when you need something for a trip to the flying field tomorrow, internet order can't deliver that fast. Especially after talking with the guy at Hobbytown about our local Hobbytown closing recently, and the fact that, here in Tucson, we're down to a hobby section at one of our local Ace Hardware stores, I wanted to go ahead and buy something to, literally, put my money where my mouth is. Hobbytown was the last standalone, dedicated hobby shop in town, and I don't know if they closed due to lack of business, or if the owners just wanted to retire and couldn't find a buyer to take over the shop.

Hoomi

Master member
I'm probably about 75% done with the build on the Scout now. My better half had a quilting class at Joann Fabric last night, and since there was an unused table out of the way, I worked on the plane while she sewed.

I think I need to get a bunch of Flite Test business cards, as many times as people asked about the plane, and I told them about FT.

Hoomi

Master member
Some photos from the build so far.
Scoutbuild1.jpg
Scoutbuild2.jpg
Scoutbuild3.jpg
Scoutbuild4.jpg