Following instructions (first post)

Ryder

I’m scared to fly the pun, but I had a short flight with the Storch. Since then, the Pietenpol has been my favorite.
I “flew” the PunJet. It did a barrel roll and then hit the ground hard, losing the prop and the motor mount.

Hoomi

Master member
P6221631.JPG
I still haven't maidened the Warthog. I want to get a little more experience on the Stinger EDF first. I have 3 successful flights on the Stinger now, so maybe a couple more, and I'll be ready to fly the 'Hawg. The Scout is still flying nicely, and I figured out this past Sunday that she's just fine taking off at half-throttle. She lifts off after a short roll, with far less tendency to try and bank left on the motor torque (reminding me once again that I have a bit more motor in her than she really needs).

My next project will be to build up the Simple Storch. I already have the Speed-build kit and power-pack, so it's just a matter of getting down to the dungeon for the workbench space. My plan is to paint her up to match the real Storch on display at the Pima Air and Space Museum, decorated for the Italian military under Mussolini. The biggest trick will be getting some views of the top of the aircraft, as it's suspended from the ceiling of one of the display hangars. I should be able to get the Fascist symbols for the wings from Callie Graphics, and I plan to add a few extra little details to make the plane a bit more true-to-scale.

P6221630.JPG

mayan

Legendary member
View attachment 137092 I still haven't maidened the Warthog. I want to get a little more experience on the Stinger EDF first. I have 3 successful flights on the Stinger now, so maybe a couple more, and I'll be ready to fly the 'Hawg. The Scout is still flying nicely, and I figured out this past Sunday that she's just fine taking off at half-throttle. She lifts off after a short roll, with far less tendency to try and bank left on the motor torque (reminding me once again that I have a bit more motor in her than she really needs).

My next project will be to build up the Simple Storch. I already have the Speed-build kit and power-pack, so it's just a matter of getting down to the dungeon for the workbench space. My plan is to paint her up to match the real Storch on display at the Pima Air and Space Museum, decorated for the Italian military under Mussolini. The biggest trick will be getting some views of the top of the aircraft, as it's suspended from the ceiling of one of the display hangars. I should be able to get the Fascist symbols for the wings from Callie Graphics, and I plan to add a few extra little details to make the plane a bit more true-to-scale.

View attachment 137091
Happy to hear about your good flights. One tip about the Storch though I realized she needed the c pack motor to deal with our winds. So if you fly in windy conditions beef her up a bit :).

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Hi Hoomi. Are those pics from Pima Air Museum? (Duh! Guess I should read the posts! Nevermind...) We should do a project together on the Storch. I usually fly at SAGE on Sat morning but I think I'll be out there tomorrow.

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
Hi Hoomi. Are those pics from Pima Air Museum? (Duh! Guess I should read the posts! Nevermind...) We should do a project together on the Storch. I usually fly at SAGE on Sat morning but I think I'll be out there tomorrow.
Alas, I'm typically stuck at work Monday through Fridays, with weekends sometimes as well. Looks like no OT this weekend, though, so I'm going to try and drag my carcass out of bed early enough on Saturday to go out and fly.

Hoomi

Master member
WIng for the Storch is in-work. I still need to pop the control arms off the servos, cut through for the ailerons, fold back, and do the bevel cut still, then reinforce the hinge point with the hot glue. I'll get some more done next time I get down to the FM Dungeon.
P8011693.JPG

P8011694.JPG

P8081703.JPG

Hoomi

Master member
Went down to the dungeon and worked some more on the Storch. The firewall had broke loose on the Scout, so took it down for some repair as well, and on a whim, slapped together a machine gun for it. Not sure yet if I actually want to attach the gun permanently, but figured I'd share the in-process photos and see what others think. Since I didn't paint the Scout in a military scheme, the guns might look out of place (and they're probably out of scale, too), but since these planes are more designed for fun than for historical accuracy, what the heck. If I do end up using the guns, I'll paint them first and then tack them on the turtledeck with some hot glue.

P9011731.JPG

P9011732.JPG

P9011729.JPG

P9011730.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Went down to the dungeon and worked some more on the Storch. The firewall had broke loose on the Scout, so took it down for some repair as well, and on a whim, slapped together a machine gun for it. Not sure yet if I actually want to attach the gun permanently, but figured I'd share the in-process photos and see what others think. Since I didn't paint the Scout in a military scheme, the guns might look out of place (and they're probably out of scale, too), but since these planes are more designed for fun than for historical accuracy, what the heck. If I do end up using the guns, I'll paint them first and then tack them on the turtledeck with some hot glue.

View attachment 141328

View attachment 141329

View attachment 141330

View attachment 141332
Go for it! The guns are cool. It's like a little AK-AK turret. You out to put some different ones on the wings as well and go for an air-pirate theme.

Hoomi

Master member
Hmmm... Air Pirate.... I might have to see if I can find some appropriate design files for my wife's Scan-n-Cut, and ask her to make me some decals for it.

Then I can glue gears on it and call it Steampunk! :D

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hmmm... Air Pirate.... I might have to see if I can find some appropriate design files for my wife's Scan-n-Cut, and ask her to make me some decals for it.

Then I can glue gears on it and call it Steampunk! :D
I LIKE it! :D

Hoomi

Master member
Are you putting together a skin set for the Storch?

Hoomi

Master member
A little more work done on the Storch tonight. Tail is assembled and installed on the fuselage, along with the tail servos. Wing is just sitting atop the fuselage here.
Storchbuild1.jpg

Storchbuild2.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
More done on the Storch. Tail controls connected and power pod installed.
P9051741.JPG

Awaiting landing gear.

P9051744.JPG

Since I don't have the hobby plywood circles they showed in the build video for reinforcing the power pod mounting, so I improvised using tongue depressers.

P9101746.JPG

P9101747.JPG

mayan

Legendary member
A few other tips that I can recommend for this plane is to also re-enforcing there BBQ holes on the fuselage as well you can use an old CC or gift card to make them. Hard landing won’t help those holes stay small :). Also add a bit of plastic tubing over the outer part of the BBQ skewers like they recommend on the FT Spitfire to help avoid them falling off during flight. Last one like I recommended @buzzbomb on another thread measure the landing gear wire twice I got it wrong and it was a pain in the butt. They’d just break lose on every landing, and I just had to push them back in. Another option is to use something like what Arcfrye recommend, @Arcfyre can you post that link again?