Following instructions (first post)

Hoomi

Master member
I'll reduce the file size on subsequent photos. I hadn't noticed it being an issue, but we usually have a decent network connection.

The landing gear wire that comes with the SBK is a pain anyway. It's obviously NOT the same wire they use in the build video, because the wire in the video bends so much easier than the wire that came with the kit. I had to clamp the wire in a vise, and bend with a set of pretty beefy pliers, to shape it, and even then, making minor adjustments to the angles, particularly if I needed to twist it a bit, was difficult. Any subsequent planes I build, I think I'll visit Industrial Metal Supply, and see what metal rods they have that would work well.

At this point, what I have left for the landing gear is to do the lower bend on the two struts that stretch to the top of the plane, and then attach them. I'm looking at putting a tail wheel on instead of the skid, but I haven't made the final decision yet.

I need to go someplace and pick up some of the rubber tubing to put on the BBQ skewer for the power pod. The closest thing I have on hand is heat-shrink, and I don't think that will be resilient enough.

Hoomi

Master member
These photos should load a LOT quicker. Landing gear installed, and I'm trying a tail-wheel instead of the skid. This tail wheel free-pivots, so it should act like a caster when the plane is rolling, meaning my ground steering with it is still going to be dependent on the rudder. I'll do a few taxi-tests with it before I try to fly, and see how it works. I figure if it doesn't work out, I can always remove it and put a skid on. Next up will be wing struts and a posterboard façade over the long landing gear struts, to give them the prototype airfoil shape.
Share1.jpg

Share2.jpg

Share3.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
These photos should load a LOT quicker. Landing gear installed, and I'm trying a tail-wheel instead of the skid. This tail wheel free-pivots, so it should act like a caster when the plane is rolling, meaning my ground steering with it is still going to be dependent on the rudder. I'll do a few taxi-tests with it before I try to fly, and see how it works. I figure if it doesn't work out, I can always remove it and put a skid on. Next up will be wing struts and a posterboard façade over the long landing gear struts, to give them the prototype airfoil shape.
View attachment 142983

View attachment 142984

View attachment 142985
Amazing work! And yes the pictures load much faster thank you!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
View attachment 142983

View attachment 142984

View attachment 142985
Looking good! I like your tail wheel. Simple and effective. Did you find the landing gear difficult to make? I've been mildly stressing the bending and shaping of all that wire on my Storch build.

Hoomi

Master member
Yeah, the landing gear wire included in the SBK is pretty darned stiff. It's definitely not the same wire he's using in the build video, because trying to twist it for final adjustment is a real pain. He's making those twists by hand, and even with tools, the wire in the SBK doesn't twist that easy. I did many of the initial bends using a bench vise and pliers. I tried using a pair of 7" high-leverage end nippers to cut the excess beyond the wheel retention collar, and those barely dented the metal. I'm going to need to use the cut-off wheel in the Dremel to trim that excess.

mayan

Legendary member
Yeah, the landing gear wire included in the SBK is pretty darned stiff. It's definitely not the same wire he's using in the build video, because trying to twist it for final adjustment is a real pain. He's making those twists by hand, and even with tools, the wire in the SBK doesn't twist that easy. I did many of the initial bends using a bench vise and pliers. I tried using a pair of 7" high-leverage end nippers to cut the excess beyond the wheel retention collar, and those barely dented the metal. I'm going to need to use the cut-off wheel in the Dremel to trim that excess.
I think they are using 2.4mm wire which is defentaly a pain in the butt to cut.

Hoomi

Master member
More work done on the Storch tonight. The wing struts are installed, with home-made hinges on the wings, and rare-earth magnets to hold them to the fuselage when the plane is assembled. Added poster board fairings around the main landing gear strut, and while they're not showing in these photos, got the first part of the leading-edge slats done. Once I finish with the slats, I should be ready to start painting.

Storchshare5.jpg

Storchshare6.jpg

Storchshare7.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
@Hoomi - loving the plane - I did not realise you were so new the FT family - I am liking these pictures today - do you think the struts on the magnets are giving you extra torsional strength on the wing! :D

I gotta ask about the background with the decent-sized posts - basement?

I also started reducing my images to 1000px (200-300k)

Hoomi

Master member
I think all the struts are going to do is look nice. I doubt they'll add anything to the structural integrity of the wing.

The "Dungeon" is the workspace for the tiny company my wife and son work for, "Fire Mecca." (They make props such as fire staffs, fire poi, palm torches, fire-eating torches, etc. for fire performance artists). The work space is currently in the basement of an old mill or warehouse building that is being used by Xerocraft, which is one of those "hacker spaces," offering workspace for artists and craftspeople.

While I'm not officially an employee of Fire Mecca, I often help out my wife by carrying packages out for shipping and such, and have the boss's permission to use some of their excess workbench space for working on my planes.

Hoomi

Master member
Still around. In the middle of painting the Storch a high-visibility yellow, with a plan to add black highlights and Air Hooterville stickers. While I liked the idea of painting it to match the Storch at the PASM, I think that desert camo scheme would tend to disappear too easily in the sky (which is what it was intended to do).

I've been away from flying (and posting) for a few weeks. On the 31st, we took off for a week in Cozumel for our 40th Anniversary, and didn't get a chance to fly the weekend before. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to put something in the air this weekend.

Next up will be starting construction on either the FT Bushwacker or FT Mustang, the SBKs of which I received as holiday presents this year.

mayan

Legendary member
Still around. In the middle of painting the Storch a high-visibility yellow, with a plan to add black highlights and Air Hooterville stickers. While I liked the idea of painting it to match the Storch at the PASM, I think that desert camo scheme would tend to disappear too easily in the sky (which is what it was intended to do).

I've been away from flying (and posting) for a few weeks. On the 31st, we took off for a week in Cozumel for our 40th Anniversary, and didn't get a chance to fly the weekend before. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to put something in the air this weekend.

Next up will be starting construction on either the FT Bushwacker or FT Mustang, the SBKs of which I received as holiday presents this year.
Nice to have you back :).

Hoomi

Master member
Which to build first? Mustang? Or Bushwacker?

I need to dig up some of my posterboard, and trace out all the parts for both before I being construction, though. Saw that suggestion on the build video for one of those two, and had a face-slap moment wondering, "Why didn't I think of that before building either the Scout or the Storch?"

Hoomi

Master member
Decision made. The Mustang gets built first, and will be decorated for Capt. Roscoe Brown's plane, "Bunnie," from the 332nd Fighter Group in WWII. The Tuskegee Airmen's "Redtail" paint scheme will help make for a more visible plane in the sky, and these pilots are more than worthy of being memorialized in many ways, including our modeling. Decals in 1/11th (calculating from the wingspan of the FT Mustang and the real P-51D, it comes out to about 1/11.1) are on order already from Callie Custom Graphics.
Bunnie.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
Decision made. The Mustang gets built first, and will be decorated for Capt. Roscoe Brown's plane, "Bunnie," from the 332nd Fighter Group in WWII. The Tuskegee Airmen's "Redtail" paint scheme will help make for a more visible plane in the sky, and these pilots are more than worthy of being memorialized in many ways, including our modeling. Decals in 1/11th (calculating from the wingspan of the FT Mustang and the real P-51D, it comes out to about 1/11.1) are on order already from Callie Custom Graphics.
View attachment 158486
Good luck you should follow the thread called Big Bang mustang by @The Hangar its a group build for Stangs of all sizes :).

Hoomi

Master member
Painting done on the Storch. I still need to affix the window decals, some pin-striping, and the Air Hooterville Flying Pig emblem. I think this scheme will be real easy to keep in sight in the air. The yellow and red were applied with the airbrush my wife gifted me for my birthday back in November, and the black is regular old Rustoleum spray paint from Home Despot.

I think I'll remove the leading-edge slats before the maiden, and get a feel for how it flies as a regular high-wing monoplane first.

Storch1.jpg

Storch2.jpg

Storch3.jpg

Figure9

Elite member
Painting done on the Storch. I still need to affix the window decals, some pin-striping, and the Air Hooterville Flying Pig emblem. I think this scheme will be real easy to keep in sight in the air. The yellow and red were applied with the airbrush my wife gifted me for my birthday back in November, and the black is regular old Rustoleum spray paint from Home Despot.

I think I'll remove the leading-edge slats before the maiden, and get a feel for how it flies as a regular high-wing monoplane first.

View attachment 160626

View attachment 160627

View attachment 160628

Sweet build! I’m fascinated by the addition of slats & I’ve been daydreaming of some way to make fowler flaps on a foam board wing.