Following instructions (first post)

Hoomi

Master member
I'm thinking about trying to cut out a faux gear door cover to glue to the side of the strut as well, which would really improve the look. I bought 1/8" steel rod from Home Depot, bent it to match the upper part of the landing gear struts from the SBK, and the shock-absorbing struts clamp down using a pair of allen set screws. The wheels on these are a bit smaller diameter than I had on it before, which probably helped offset the weight difference.

I still need to do some touch-up painting on the underside of the wing, from where the original landing gear broke off in the crash, but she should be airworthy in the mean time.

I'd ordered this set from Banggood, to see if they would fit on the new EDF Rebel, but I don't think the retracts would work with the different shape of the shock-absorbing struts. Since the Mustang doesn't have the retract concern, though, I thought she might benefit from a bit of springiness in her gear instead.

Hoomi

Master member
I need to play with the Mustang some more. Last time I flew her, she still seemed unstable. I managed to get her back onto the ground safely, but cut the flight short. I'm wondering if it needs a bit more nose weight or something.

On the flip side, I tried a different camera mount for the Stinger. I rather like this view better than the belly-view I've been using.

Captain Jay

Elite member
I need to play with the Mustang some more. Last time I flew her, she still seemed unstable. I managed to get her back onto the ground safely, but cut the flight short. I'm wondering if it needs a bit more nose weight or something.

On the flip side, I tried a different camera mount for the Stinger. I rather like this view better than the belly-view I've been using.

Great flight man!!! I think you're landing way to fast though... Do you have flaps? That plane should float in a bit more gentle like... Just seemed a bit fast... I like the video and song choice too

Hoomi

Master member
No flaps on the Stinger. At that speed, she's descending with the nose up, and I've found she settles in nicely that way, with little to no bounce. On approach, I'm throttled way back, and by touch-down, I'm at little to no throttle, to help minimize sucking grit through the fan. I used to taxi the Stinger on the ground, but after about 10 flights, I had some noticeable dings in the fan. I'll still get some from the take-off roll, but I figure there's no point in adding to that by running the motor on the ground, when she's easy enough to carry.

Captain Jay

Elite member
No flaps on the Stinger. At that speed, she's descending with the nose up, and I've found she settles in nicely that way, with little to no bounce. On approach, I'm throttled way back, and by touch-down, I'm at little to no throttle, to help minimize sucking grit through the fan. I used to taxi the Stinger on the ground, but after about 10 flights, I had some noticeable dings in the fan. I'll still get some from the take-off roll, but I figure there's no point in adding to that by running the motor on the ground, when she's easy enough to carry.
I see... Yup, gotta do what ya gotta do to keep her looking good and back in one piece...

Hoomi

Master member
If I'm counting correctly, the Stinger reached flight # 30 today. The Simple Scout is up to 27 for this year alone, so with her flights last year, she should be somewhere around 50 now. The Tiny Trainer hit flight # 20 this morning.

Hoomi

Master member
I've added FPV gear to my hangar. This video compares the performance of the goggles using the stock antennas that come with them, versus an aftermarket pair with a mushroom omnidirectional and a flat directional.

Hoomi

Master member
A while back, my wife's boss was working on some cool adjustable height chair-desks. One of the desktops he'd cut, had some minor chips on the top, along the cut edge, which made it unsuitable for his final product. He put the blemished piece out for the trash, and I decided it was much too nice a piece of wood to send to the landfill. I grabbed it, thinking I'd figure out a good use for it.

I decided to install three short, adjustable legs on it, to use as a helipad for RC helicopters and drones. With the adjustable legs, I can level the top surface so the gyros can initialize properly, and it'll keep the craft up out of the dirt.

I still need to do a bit more sanding along the cut edge, and then I'll likely give it a coat or two of polyurethane finish to seal and protect the wood.
Helipad1.jpg

Helipad2.jpg

Helipad3.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
Latest project is I'm working on scratch-building a Flite Test Alpha. After printing out the tiled plans, piecing them together, cutting out the various pieces, laying them out on the foamboard, and cutting out the foamboard, I can understand why the FT crew uses the laser cutter. I have several hours of work so far in this build, and I'm only now about ready to actually start assembling the plane.

I thought about ordering the SBK, particularly since it helps support the STEM programs, but I wanted to see how I'd do working from a set of the plans.

Hoomi

Master member
I took a drive out to the AMPS Swap Meet yesterday. I almost scored an eFlite Cherokee, that would have allowed me to get my crashed Cherokee back into the air, but someone snagged it before I did. What I did come home with is an old Unique Models T6 Texan II. It needs a little work, but for what I paid, I think it will work out nice. This photo is from the internet of the same model plane, but not of the one I picked up.
T6 Texan II.jpg

boogieloo

A while back, my wife's boss was working on some cool adjustable height chair-desks. One of the desktops he'd cut, had some minor chips on the top, along the cut edge, which made it unsuitable for his final product. He put the blemished piece out for the trash, and I decided it was much too nice a piece of wood to send to the landfill. I grabbed it, thinking I'd figure out a good use for it.

I decided to install three short, adjustable legs on it, to use as a helipad for RC helicopters and drones. With the adjustable legs, I can level the top surface so the gyros can initialize properly, and it'll keep the craft up out of the dirt.

I still need to do a bit more sanding along the cut edge, and then I'll likely give it a coat or two of polyurethane finish to seal and protect the wood.
View attachment 195915
View attachment 195916
View attachment 195917
Thank you. This looks like the design I saw on the internet. He assembled it home made. But used pvc pipes. Same box cover. And he assembled the electronics part with it. Does this quadcopter go pretty high? And do you know a lot about electronics? He was from India or some other country, but look like an India guy.

Hoomi

Master member
I have decided it would sound ever so much more impressive, to start referring to my 3S batteries as, "Trilithium Polymer..."

And throttle positions as "Warp Factor..."

boogieloo

Boy, I do like the title of this post. Only the first time, the FlySky didn't come with instructions. I had to look it up myself. The car and the airplane are the same. Now I know.

boogieloo

Spitfire? They come in different patterns. And did you pay for this kit or did you have it drafted up like some of them do here? I saw some of them made out plans of their own, and they print and cut one out for themselves using the autocad. It cost less. I don't know how much is the autocad use, but it's may be cheaper.

Hoomi

Master member
Alpha build finished. All I should need to do now, is set the rates and expo, and send her up for her maiden. I did the push rods a little different than Josh did in the build video.
20211113_113127_resized.jpg

20211113_113152_resized.jpg

20211113_113205_resized.jpg

20211113_113239_resized.jpg