Forge 3d Noob

simrey33

Hi guys just received my Forge, super excited to get started. I might be jumping ahead here because I haven't read all the manual. I did notice a Cura settings section, it directs you to download the Cura Settings exe file. I'm on a Mac does anyone know if there is a DMG or have any info on what settings can be entered manually?

Thank you!
S

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
simrey,
Though I can't help you with this particular issue I suspect there are others that can and will. I am eager to get a 3D printer and will when the time i$ more right.

By the way, I moved your post to the 3D printing section of the forum. Your post really fits both areas so don't think anythng of it. I just put it where it seemed more appropriate.

I would like, however to say hi and ask if would be so kind as to introduce yourself. We have a very friendly forum here, even moreso when members connect.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

Last edited:

thompsbp

Hi guys just received my Forge, super excited to get started. I might be jumping ahead here because I haven't read all the manual. I did notice a Cura settings section, it directs you to download the Cura Settings exe file. I'm on a Mac does anyone know if there is a DMG or have any info on what settings can be entered manually?

Thank you!
S

I use Slic3r and configured it myself.

Join the #reprap irc channel on freenode if you need help. ppl there love to help and have helped me a ton.

simrey33

Same issue... I tried to wing it with the off the box printer specs I got a nice pile of pla :) I noticed my gcode had generated a 15mm tip hight. thompsbp suggested we try #reprap irc channel on freenode. Good luck, I'll post here if I get it worked out.

simrey33

Found a youtube video that might help us

Okay so I've found the forge is a Wanhao Duplicator i3 rebrand (good reviews) I found this guys video explaining the settings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDXo2GBmbtU

Thank you woodywong76

*Note, I am on a mac as well. All of the settings he is describing are on the right side the screen Print Setup > Custom. Right off the bat I noticed the print diameter was wrong 1.75 is the forge. I think it was 2.3... I'm hoping thats what caused the big mess my first run.

I'll post my tests.

simrey33

Alright I think I've found a setting to get started with. For Cura on the Mac this is what I used:
Printer set up > Custom:
Layer Height: .1mm
Wall Thickness: .8mm
Top Bottom Thickness: .8mm
Infill Density 20%
Printing Temp: 195
Build Plate temp: 60
Diameter 1.75mm
Flow: 100
Enable Retraction: checked
Print speed: 40mm/s
Travel Speed: 120mm/s *Might slow this down a bit...
Enable Print Cooling: checked
Build Plate Adhesion Type: Brim *Have no idea what this is :)
Brim Width 8.0mm
Dual Extrusion: no option
Print Sequence: All at Once

Machine Settings:
X: 200mm
Y: 200mm
Z: 180mm

Plate Shape: Rectangular
Machine Center is Zero: Unchecked
Heated Bed: Checked
gCode Flavor: RepRap
*rest: 0
Nozzle size: .4mm

And I printed the quickest file I could make in blender exported as stl:
ring.jpg

Hope this helps us Mac guys get started.
Thank you

Attachments

• machine-settings.jpg
    machine-settings.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0

simrey33

Quick update: "Build Plate Adhesion Type", is the outer rim the printer will run to prevent warping. I'm pretty sure the sample prints included with the Forge are: Raft.

Usafa93

Thanks for the info. I tried a few more things tonight that again ended in failure so I really appreciate the post. I'll try the setup again tomorrow and see what happens.

Usafa93

Print today went much better. Still not there. After a successful test print of a small item, I tried to print the engine block for the pietenpol. I got about 2/3 of the way through before the printer went wonky. It was as though the x&y axis shifted and it was trying to print 20mm in the air on a different part of the tray. Sounds like a Gcode misfire in the slicer to me. Not sure whether I should redo the Gcode and try again or not. Any thoughts as to what might cause it?

thompsbp

Print today went much better. Still not there. After a successful test print of a small item, I tried to print the engine block for the pietenpol. I got about 2/3 of the way through before the printer went wonky. It was as though the x&y axis shifted and it was trying to print 20mm in the air on a different part of the tray. Sounds like a Gcode misfire in the slicer to me. Not sure whether I should redo the Gcode and try again or not. Any thoughts as to what might cause it?

The one time I had a layer shift like that was when my belt tensioner broke mid print and the x axis got really sloppy. Layer shifting is always a mechanical issue (as in the nozzle did not move the commanded steps). Check that your belts are tight and that there is no binding on any axis. Another common cause is skipped steps on a motor. Steps can be skipped if the stepper driver is overheating and thermal shutdowns occur or if the drive gear is rubbing on the motor case, or if there is any bind in the system.

Worst comes to worst watch the print and see if/when it happens and take video to post for others to look at.

Here is a thread on Thingiverse of people discussing layer shift issues on the same type of printer... https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/i3/topic:10521