Forgot about failsafe...

I had a reshuffle of a few receivers into different models recently, to get the weight of some of my smaller models more suitable. During this I ended up putting my very first receiver a Spektrum AR7000 into a vintage electric fixed pitch heli' with a brushed motor setup. When I was setting up the servo throws on the bench I noticed that I was struggling to initiate the ESC, this seemed strange, but I put the sequence of beeps down to the voltage being too high from a freshly charged battery. After doing some more setting up on the bench I forgot the battery was still connected to the model and switched off the transmitter as the buzzing noise was annoying me...

...My very first receiver had been last used on my very first airframe, a Thunder Tiger 40 with an IC engine. As recommended by the club members the failsafe had been set at about 10% throttle (strange policy, I know but from experience it worked for them).

So, a brushed heli' with its blades on and pitch gauge attached starts rotating at 10% throttle when I wasn't expecting it :eek:. I got a nasty smack on the nose to remind me to:

A: Never switch off Tx without visually confirming Rx is unplugged

B: Always check the failsafe when setting up models (In fact I might go through the whole lot now just to make sure)

The failsafe is easy to miss as it doesn't show on any of the visual menus, but it's pretty easy to set just by rebinding the model at the desired throttle and the sticks in the best position. I'm not getting into what that is here, but I can't think of a good reason that anything but 0% throttle would be the best option for an electric.

Lesson learned!!!!!:eek: