• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Forum Rules Revision.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
For a long time we've been blessed with a community of people who didn't need a list of rules as a guide for how to behave on this forum.

But with growth comes growing pains.

Recently we had a situation where a group of adults decided the best way to teach a kid a lesson was to spend days bullying him.

Unfortunately no one decided that this needed reporting for nearly a week.

All participants in that thread that had not pointed out that it was wrong to bully a kid received some sort of ban. A couple ended up banned permanently.

Most of the people who received moderator actions did so graciously and they'll be welcomed back to the forum and we'll consider the lesson learned.

Unfortunately the two who were the most aggressive in their bullying thought they had done nothing wrong. One even admitted things got out of hand, but then blamed the moderator staff for not stepping in sooner. His words were...

Given the fact that I have never received any type of indication I was acting inappropriately, and that the thread I assume to be the issue was allowed to continue unabated for the better part of a week without any intervention, that the postings were acceptable.
Guys, if you need us to write a rule that tells you, as an adult, that you shouldn't bully children, leave right now.
Just go, we don't want you here. If you need someone to tell you that bullying anyone is not appropriate, then no amount of rules will change that.

I will admit that because we do have such an amazing group of people that rarely need any form of supervision, we mostly rely on people reporting issues. We haven't had to recruit a staff of people with the job of trying to read through every post looking for infractions.

Another excuse from the offenders was that the rules are not specific enough.

If you need written rules to tell you that bullying a child is wrong, then no amount of rules will cure you of that.

But I hear you and we will be making some adjustments. I will work with the other moderators for ways to improve the rules of the forum.

Here's a few examples of what I have in mind.

There will be a zero tolerance level for bullying of minors. We are a family friendly forum and we are encouraging young people to get into the hobby. Any behavior that is not in line with that, will receiver moderator action.

If you're hitting the like button on a post that is abusive, you will receive the same moderation as the person who made the post.

There are no "warnings". If you have done something that demands moderator action, the temporary ban IS THE WARNING.

If you create a fake account to circumvent the temporary ban, it will become a permanent ban.

What I will NOT be doing is making rules that leave open loopholes for people to walk right up to the line and spit over, then claim that the moderator's actions were unfair because they didn't actually step over the line.

Honestly folks.

If you're here because of the Flite Test Youtube channel, then how can someone act the way that these guys did, and still find the family friendly and welcoming atmosphere that the Flite Test crew creates appealing?

There's plenty of sites on social media for rude and hateful personalities to shine.

As long as I am managing this forum, this will not be one of those places.

Flite Test has created something amazing. The community that has grown around that is even more amazing. I credit the users of this forum for the lack of moderation that is needed.

All the rules and punishments in the world could not have created the helpful and welcoming culture that this forum provides. The community has done that. Their actions, their behavior, their choices. I will not punish the good people of this community by providing allowances to people who can't respect that.

I welcome your input on this. We already have a great place here, and any changes I make will only be intended to improve upon that.

Last edited:

KN4IUU

Elite member
For a long time we've been blessed with a community of people who didn't need a list of rules as a guide for how to behave on this forum.

But with growth comes growing pains.

Recently we had a situation where a group of adults decided the best way to teach a kid a lesson was to spend days bullying him.

Unfortunately no one decided that this needed reporting for nearly a week.

All participants in that thread that had not pointed out that it was wrong to bully a kid received some sort of ban. A couple ended up banned permanently.

Most of the people who received moderator actions did so graciously and they'll be welcomed back to the forum and we'll consider the lesson learned.

Unfortunately the two who were the most aggressive in their bullying thought they had done nothing wrong. One even admitted things got out of hand, but then blamed the moderator staff for not stepping in sooner. His words were...

Guys, if you need us to write a rule that tells you, as an adult, that you shouldn't bully children, leave right now.
Just go, we don't want you here. If you need someone to tell you that bullying anyone is not appropriate, then no amount of rules will change that.

I will admit that because we do have such an amazing group of people that rarely need any form of supervision, we mostly rely on people reporting issues. We haven't had to recruit a staff of people with the job of trying to read through every post looking for infractions.

Another excuse from the offenders was that the rules are not specific enough.

If you need written rules to tell you that bullying a child is wrong, then no amount of rules will cure you of that.

But I hear you and we will be making some adjustments. I will work with the other moderators for ways to improve the rules of the forum.

Here's a few examples of what I have in mind.

There will be a zero tolerance level for bullying of minors. We are a family friendly forum and we are encouraging young people to get into the hobby. Any behavior that is not in line with that, will receiver moderator action.

If you're hitting the like button on a post that is abusive, you will receive the same moderation as the person who made the post.

There are no "warnings". If you have done something that demands moderator action, the temporary ban IS THE WARNING.

If you create a fake account to circumvent the temporary ban, it will become a permanent ban.

What I will NOT be doing is making rules that leave open loopholes for people to walk right up to the line and spit over, then claim that the moderator's actions were unfair because they didn't actually step over the line.

Honestly folks.

If you're here because of the Flite Test Youtube channel, then how can someone act the way that these guys did, and still find the family friendly and welcoming atmosphere that the Flite Test crew creates appealing?

There's plenty of sites on social media for rude and hateful personalities to shine.

As long as I am managing this forum, this will not be one of those places.

Flite Test has created something amazing. The community that has grown around that is even more amazing. I credit the users of this forum for the lack of moderation that is needed.

All the rules and punishments in the world could not have created the helpful and welcoming culture that this forum provides. The community has done that. Their actions, their behavior, their choices. I will not punish the good people of this community by providing allowances to people who can't respect that.

I welcome your input on this. We already have a great place here, and any changes I make will only be intended to improve upon that.
Sad to say we needed this, thanks for doing it.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I made some posts on that thread that were certantly harsher than intended, especially given those involved. I think the Flite Test crew does a good job representing this hobby and I've always tried to ride for the brand. I do what I can to promote and support them. I certainly dont want this forum to become a place where people dont feel welcome.

That said, I think staying with generalized forum guidelines is a better approach. While I criticize places like twitter for using vauge rules and selectively enforcing them, i dont feel that has, or ever would be a problem here. Using a long list of specific rules will, as you said, only invite people to dance on the edge and will certainly require more vigorous enforcement wich i think would be a terribly unfortunate waste of FT's resources. Its also been my experience that forum's that have heavy handed moderators tend to loose the "comunity" feeling very quickly and I would hate to see that here.

For what its worth, and I've said this many times, I think this is a good comunity. There are very few like it online. The inncident was handled in a timely manner and I dont personally feel like large rule or structure changes are needed to preserve what we already have here.

Lets focus on what we do best:
Build, fly, crash, repeat!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Because Their just SHINY
1651522452143.png

-BANNED
:LOL:

I'm so sorry this post thread exists. And from the community, to the minor who was made to feel unwelcome - Sorry to have heard it happened. Thank you @FlyingMonkey for reminding folks that passive view is a part of the problem.

Have fun flying and building folks.

Shameless plug -> (www.aviationrcnoob.com)

I’ve got a bunch of hobbies, and visit all sorts of online places to learn about them. All those communities have a significant negative minority who like to belittle others and basically behave like a bunch of jackasses. This is the only place where I’ve never seen that happen. Kudos to everyone here for making it that way, and to those who moderate and manage it and ensure it stays that way. In the current crazy world it’s nice to have somewhere that can so frequently remind you that most people are basically decent. Even those who fly on a mode 1.