Check out this video for details on building your power pod:
http://youtu.be/aMeGqVGZcjA?t=2m11s

Fowl Flyer Swappable Build Plans Available here:

View attachment Fowl Flyer Swappable Plans - Details - 1of4.pdf
View attachment Fowl Flyer Swappable Plans - Fuse - 2of4.pdf
View attachment Fowl Flyer Swappable Plans - Misc Parts - 3of4.pdf
View attachment Fowl Flyer Swappable Plans - Wings - 4of4.pdf

TIP for printing the plans "Tiled":
To print "tiled" use Adobe Reader X and in the print dialog select "POSTER", select "Cut Marks" and make sure "Tile Scale" is 100%. Then overlap and tape as required (after trimming the top overlapping edge).

Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 1.jpg

A smaller version of the original Fowl Flyer, this foam board scratch build RC cargo airplane is design with a swappable powerpod! The 6th design currently available in the Flite Test Swappable series.

Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 20.jpg

This scratch build swappable is designed to carry cargo... a lot of cargo! Check out the review of this Swappable Foam Flyer here. This plane is also designed for FPV with a camera mount table and access door on the nose of the plane that opens!

Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 16.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 15.jpg

The folded fuselage design of this swappable will allow for a self-squaring assembly and introduces a new folding style called the 'B-style' fold. The traditional 'A-style' fold is designed to set the side walls on top of the bottom. Where the new 'B-style' fold simply folds up where the side wall is against the bottom. Watch the video, and check the plans to be sure which of the folds that you will need to make.

Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 41.jpg

This is an odd looking plane, but the cargo room and fun flying characteristics make it a really fun scratch build. The best part is that it can be made from just a few dollars of ADAMS foam board (Dollar Tree Foam Board).

Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 40.jpg

You will need a battery connection extension for this foamboard flyer.
We recommend checking out our Soldering Battery Connections Episode.

Also, here's a great option if you're planning to purchase a solder station:
Temperature Controlled Soldering Station
http://www.lazertoyz.com/Temperature-Controlled-Soldering-Station_p_221.html

Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 2.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 5.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 3.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 7.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 12.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 14.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 11.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 4.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 9.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 10.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 30.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 13.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 21.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 18.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 23.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 17.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 22.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 19.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build -38.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 24.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 32.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 28.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 25.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 26.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 29.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 27.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 34.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 33.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 35.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 39.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 38.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 37.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 36.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 45.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 47.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 46.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 42.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 43.jpg Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 44.jpg

Fowl Flyer Swappable Build Plans Available here:
View attachment Fowl Flyer Swappable Plans - Details - 1of4.pdf
View attachment Fowl Flyer Swappable Plans - Fuse - 2of4.pdf
View attachment Fowl Flyer Swappable Plans - Misc Parts - 3of4.pdf
View attachment Fowl Flyer Swappable Plans - Wings - 4of4.pdf

TIP for printing the plans "Tiled":
To print "tiled" use Adobe Reader X and in the print dialog select "POSTER", select "Cut Marks" and make sure "Tile Scale" is 100%. Then overlap and tape as required (after trimming the top overlapping edge).

(Thanks youtuber larrybarrick for this suggestion!)

Attachments

• Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 6.jpg
    Fowl Flyer Swappable Build - 6.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 80

House Of Noob

Can you expand a little bit on the power pod? I'm thinking you must have at least switched some motor leads to run it backwards. Any prop changes?

earthsciteach

House of Noob - you are correct about switching motor leads. Swap any two leads and the motor will spin in the opposite direction. An easy way to get the prop correct is to remember that the numbers on the prop always face forward.

Davec921

Great job as all ways. I love watching the builds.
Any chance that Josh S is going to be doing a build by himself soon.
All so Is there any way to have a sticky or separate Thread in the forums with the swappable links all in one place.
Thanks again an keep up the great work.
DAVE

Josh B. said he waterproofed it because it was going to be flying in many different environments. I think that FT should come up with a mod for floats so it is able to fly in colder climates with snow! The floats could be cut out so the wheel sits in there with a ziptie over the top of the wheel or something. I myself will be building this very soon so maybe i can work something up. Thanks FT this is another great swappable!!!!!:)

Last edited:

MrClean

NICE product placement right at 13 minutes for Adams. Love that foamboard.

Great big build guys.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Looks like it may land fine on the snow with no other mods except leaving off the landing gear.
I hope somebody tries it!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
ah- every plane in the Ninja house ends up looking like a combat plane.
I'd love to hit one of these in an 80mph pass.
My prediction. CARNAGE!

BTW- you need to toss together an F-22 and let one of your friends fly it around.
They are fun little planes to fly and hard to hit ;)

earthsciteach

Yeah, I need to do a lot. I'm bored with flying at the moment. No one to hit. No one to taunt. I'm sad and lonely...

But, I do have this 50" span, wooden PT-17 from Maxford USA on its way to my house! That should keep me entertained for a while.

Looks like it may land fine on the snow with no other mods except leaving off the landing gear.
I hope somebody tries it!

I will probably be making this before Christmas if I'm not to busy... I will let you know- I am going to use this as a candy drop plane for a party if I can get it ready. I think I will need to make a float mod since I will most likely be flying on about a foot of snow. (If we get snow this year! lol)

House of Noob - you are correct about switching motor leads. Swap any two leads and the motor will spin in the opposite direction. An easy way to get the prop correct is to remember that the numbers on the prop always face forward.

Yes, But won't we all have to buy new props for this plane since it is a pushing instead of pulling the plane through the air? All the others pull so I don't get it. Help!

earthsciteach

Nope. Your prop will work just the same, as long as you reverse motor rotation and mount the prop so the numbers on the prop face toward the front of the plane. I'll let you wrap your brain around that one. I don't know how to explain why in words. I'd need to draw pictures.

MrClean

Make the front of the prop face into the wind.

Make it spin counter clockwise while facing the wind.

19 words actually.

More detail?

Props are non symmetrical wings. They fly in one direction and they produce much more lift right side up.

19 words again.

Last edited:

hotwax

Waiting for dry wheather
104_0176.JPG

I used 10 x 20 mm balsa upright for the beams and made them 50 mm longer. This is more common in europe than 13 mm. The pod is from my Baby Blender.