Fox-6 Scratchbuild

ThatsALotOfPlanes

School's been keeping me busy, but I've been putting a little work in each day. I've got both the H-stab and V-stab ready for hinges, wings arr basically ready to join, and fuselage sides have the first few crossbraces drying. The rudder still needs some work and there's reinforcements, attachments, and trays to put on the fuselage

20210226_163035.jpg
All the pieces so far laid out ^

Unfortunately, the tops of the fuselage sides are curved slightly where the wing sill sit, which will cause headaches when I get to making the wing cradle. On the topic of the wing, I'm thinking of putting sheeting on the leading edge as a little more strength and to give the covering a little more to adhere to. I might put strips of sheeting on the ribs as well for the same reasons. The ribs are 1/8 and 3/32 wide, which seems like too little for the covering to adhere to. I've never worked with film covering, so what do yall think?

ThatsALotOfPlanes

It's been a little while since I put an update up. I ran into some issues with the fuselage that put me off of the project temporarily, but I'm back at it now!
I finished off the main structure of the fuselage tonight, now the main goals are to create a nosecone from packaging foam, and put in the electronics and ballast trays.
Before I keep working on the fuselage though, I need to make headway in the control surface department. I decided to make my own hinges for the elevator and rudder, more out of curiosity than necessity. For the elevator I made four fabric hinges by taking some simple cotton fabric and using Elmer's glue to wrap each of the pieces around the top of the hingeline. The glue soaked into the fabric, making each one really strong, yet flexible. For the rudder, I cut slots and inserted pieces of binder dividers, which are flexible but relatively thick plastic. After some adjusting, the five hinges were secured with superglue.

Top of one of the elevator hinges:
20210407_222948.jpg

Bottom of one of the elevator hinges:
20210407_222957.jpg

One of the rudder hinges:
20210407_223011.jpg

With the control surfaces put together, I was able to assemble the fuselage and tail feathers for the first time! I made some 3/16" standoffs for the H-stab, much like a DLG's H-stab.

In all her tubby glory:
20210407_222636.jpg 20210407_222652.jpg

Last edited: