fpv antenna.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The emax hawk 5 from that choice...betaflight have recently stated that even f3 boards will not be getting any new releases very soon.
The emax hawk 5 has had decent reviews too.

Last edited:

Trains1213_YT

The emax hawk 5 from that choice...betaflight have recently stayed that even f3 boards will not be getting any new releases very soon.
The emax hawk 5 has had decent reviews too.
do you know if the T16 would bind to the emax hawk 5 without me having to buy a different receiver.

FDS

Elite member
The Emax Baby Hawk is excellent for starting FPV, small, cheap, brushless and will bind with any FRsky TX. The only hard part is extra batteries, there are some deals on Bangood for those.
Avoid all the older Naze32 and F1 and F3 flight controllers, as noted they are dead in tech terms.
The FT store is not the best place to get into quads IMO. Go watch some Painless 360, Drone Mesh and others on YouTube, then build a short list of what you want in a quad.
They are not hard to build, I wouldn’t touch an outdated cheap ready built 5 inch quad, it’s much better and cheaper to build your own.
Racing, even at a local level, is a pricey past time. How much flying time do you have on quads?
That way you won’t waste money on old tech or dead ends and will get a better experience all round.

Trains1213_YT

The Emax Baby Hawk is excellent for starting FPV, small, cheap, brushless and will bind with any FRsky TX. The only hard part is extra batteries, there are some deals on Bangood for those.
Avoid all the older Naze32 and F1 and F3 flight controllers, as noted they are dead in tech terms.
The FT store is not the best place to get into quads IMO. Go watch some Painless 360, Drone Mesh and others on YouTube, then build a short list of what you want in a quad.
They are not hard to build, I wouldn’t touch an outdated cheap ready built 5 inch quad, it’s much better and cheaper to build your own.
Racing, even at a local level, is a pricey past time. How much flying time do you have on quads?
That way you won’t waste money on old tech or dead ends and will get a better experience all round.
If I said that I have been flying drones for about 3.5 years and for my first fpv racer do you think the emax hawk 5 would be good?

FDS

Elite member
I would build your first racer. Go with a well established F7 AIO FC, some good separate 6s capable 30A ESC’s that can handle better motors, then a fairly basic VTX and camera. This would give you flexibility to upgrade the power train and get deeper into tuning through the FC whilst retaining a simple set up that you should be able to get running smoothly.
That way you won’t be at the bleeding edge but you will have room for that first set up to grow.
If you are able to, go see what other people at your local races are using. Good pilots who support new racers should share the hardware they use or had when they started. Likewise there are many good build suggestions on YouTube for first race builds.
IMO cheaper pre built quads make too many compromises and lack flexibility, I looked long and hard at the options before building my first 5 inch quad, I am about 3/4 done. If I could have bought everything at once it would have cost about $180 all in, as it is I have spread out the cost by getting a set amounts worth of parts per month.
There are plenty of more experienced and highly knowledgeable builders and pilots on this site. Read, research then post your build and ask for help.
Research and knowledge are free to acquire.

FDS

Elite member
And if I learnt anything from my years as a mechanic it’s that the more you race things the more you break them and thus need to repair them!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you are experienced pilot then building is your next best progression.

These may help you get over the nerves of building. Others like Painless360 and Joshua Bardwell are also good aids.

Be wary of "pro pilot" builds as many have really bad habits and very oldschool techniques with electronics work.

Parts choices are personal as everyone has different skills and budgets. The build process is pretty much the same and gets easier with practice specially the solder work.

Trains1213_YT

If you are experienced pilot then building is your next best progression.

These may help you get over the nerves of building. Others like Painless360 and Joshua Bardwell are also good aids.

Be wary of "pro pilot" builds as many have really bad habits and very oldschool techniques with electronics work.

Parts choices are personal as everyone has different skills and budgets. The build process is pretty much the same and gets easier with practice specially the solder work.

[/QUOTE
Im only 10 and I have never soldered anything before and my dad doesent want me to build one because its "to advanced."

Trains1213_YT

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I haven't used either of those, but I can say that the IRC one will have a bit higher gain and a bit narrower beam. Either should work well.