FPV Antennas

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Flite Test - FPV Antennas - FLITE TIP

This episode we have a return appearance by David Windestall, also known as Dadde on the internet forums. David joins the Joshes to help explain a confusing topic, antennas, specifically the ones used for FPV. David goes into great detail about the pluses and minuses of a few different designs of antennas. They also speak about some designs you can build yourself. If you've flown FPV, or are interested in giving it a try, you won't want to miss this episode! Oh, be sure to subscribe, every time you watch an episode that you aren't subscribed to, Chad refuses to let Josh Scott fly.
-Fred Provost

David Windestal
http//:RCexplorer.se

The Bixler Plane
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16542

see_article.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Tristan Smith

could you guys pleas show a step by step tutorial on how to make the antennas for the 900MH system and show in depth what
gear you use i know you have dun an episode on this before but i am having trouble. thanks

Christian

A general tutorial for DIY antennas would be pretty nice. perhaps you can cover the major frequencys and show us some tips for making our own antenna.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
A general tutorial for DIY antennas would be pretty nice. perhaps you can cover the major frequencys and show us some tips for making our own antenna.

There's a lot of detail, and the ideas for what's "best" keep changing. I think part of the intention for David's own section here on the forum, is so that he can create thread tutorials on these very subjects.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
There's a lot of detail, and the ideas for what's "best" keep changing. I think part of the intention for David's own section here on the forum, is so that he can create thread tutorials on these very subjects.

Make his thread a sticky so that everyone can see his development, how-to and tutorials

Christian

What do you need the antenna for?

Fishing :)

I just bought my first FPV Kit and it just got 10mW and so I need to push the maximum out of this system and the easiest way is to put on new antennas.

I got another question. What is the main difference between the antennas of different frequencies? I think an 2,4ghz antenna differs to an 5,8ghz antenna.

ananas1301

The frequency has to do with all that wavelength etc. kinda stuff.

But for every normal RC pilot the most important thing to know about radios is that the higher the frequency is, the less distance you will have (of course only of the mW number stays the same!)

2,4Ghz is quite high and therefore isn´t often used for really good FPV. Many people use 900Mhz or even around 400Mhz.
These are significantly lower frequencies and therefore can reach further distances with the same power output.

If you want to understand the frequency stuff a little more than read this.
The higher the frequency is, the more often the wave will reach its max point within a certain distance.
Example:
900Mhz: I don´t know real numbers for this so I´ll just use random ones.
10 waves per fixed distance (lets say 1m)

Then we have 2,4 Ghz which 2400Mhz and you can already see that you will have 2,6666666... more of those waves.
That means now we suddenly have
~27 waves on 1 meter. Having more waves on a same distance means you will need more energy for the higher frequency to reach the same distance as with the lower frequency!

Got it? If not just ask and I´ll give another example or so

Christian

Yes I got it thank you very much, pretty easy and good explaination.

I hate Germany and all its laws. Everythink that is fun is forbidden.
With my 2,4ghz system I can just reach up to 400m range. It will defintily be fun for the first days and weeks but I know that I want more ... but ohh we got a law :)

ananas1301

Yes I got it thank you very much, pretty easy and good explaination.

I hate Germany and all its laws. Everythink that is fun is forbidden.
With my 2,4ghz system I can just reach up to 400m range. It will defintily be fun for the first days and weeks but I know that I want more ... but ohh we got a law :)

I know right!
That is actually ridiculous! 10mW is nothing in comparison to what HK sells.

1500mW is what we need!

Do you know they are restricted?
I can imagine them being a bit strong in terms radiation and that they could be harmful. Am I right there?

Christian

I think 1,2 is aircraft communication or somethin like that. 900mhz is GSM (mobilephone). 1,3 is amateurradio you can use it with a license. And I think 1,5ghz is also used for radio.

Christian

Yes but you will get problems with GSM. In europe they are using 880,0–915,0 Mhz. In US the frequencies are under 900mhz.
And if its 1500mW your problem will be even bigger.

FTA_FTW

The higher the frequency is, the more often the wave will reach its max point within a certain distance.
Example:
900Mhz: I don´t know real numbers for this so I´ll just use random ones.
10 waves per fixed distance (lets say 1m)

Then we have 2,4 Ghz which 2400Mhz and you can already see that you will have 2,6666666... more of those waves.
That means now we suddenly have
~27 waves on 1 meter. Having more waves on a same distance means you will need more energy for the higher frequency to reach the same distance as with the lower frequency!

Got it? If not just ask and I´ll give another example or so

Perfect! This makes total sense to me.

Too bad I purchased a 5.8ghz system this summer :( But it works for me, I've gone about 1km with the stock dipole antennas.