FPV Balloon Pop Challenge

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Well well well, it's our 100th episode! Celebrate with us as we fly FPV and and see who is the better pilot at popping balloons! And hey, YOU might even win something! That's right, we are playing for a few lucky internet friends, and one of them could be you! Which member of the Flite Test crew will win the challenge, and send one lucky fan a special prize? Stop reading this description and enjoy the show!

see_article.png

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
They should make like a hundred of these episodes!

Attachments

• Nose shape.JPG
    Nose shape.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • plane with fins.JPG
    plane with fins.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

Bigshow4u

Def one of the coolest episodes. That and the flying brick but thats a dif thread! LOL They should do a streamer cutting challenge.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
My thumbs were shaking in this episode. I could barely control my plane. Wayne pointed out after we were done shooting that one of my servos came loose. Made me feel better, knowing I wasn't loosing my ability to fly. I know Bixler would have won anyhow. He's a tough competitor!

Bigshow4u

My thumbs were shaking in this episode. I could barely control my plane. Wayne pointed out after we were done shooting that one of my servos came loose. Made me feel better, knowing I wasn't loosing my ability to fly. I know Bixler would have won anyhow. He's a tough competitor!

LOL. Yea i have had times where I thought I forgot how to fly and then I check my plane over and find that something worked loose on the plane. I have been flying for a little over a month now and love taking my 3D Hawk out to the park. And since it is EPO, if i do mess up i can get right back in the air. 99% of the time i only crash because i forgot to start the timer on my radio to let me know how long i have till the battery dies. And of course I'm about 100 ft in the air! But thats the nature of the hobby, you WILL crash eventually!

Josh Bixler

Your too humble friend! I would have been schooled if that servo had not been loose. Maybe a rematch someday?

JB

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
If/when I do a balloon pop I'm thinking of some different ways of scoring points. Here's a suggestion:

1) Actually popping the balloon = 2
2) Only cutting the streamer = 1
3) Popping a rising balloon whose streamer was cut = 3
4) Repeat hand launches = -1

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
If/when I do a balloon pop I'm thinking of some different ways of scoring points. Here's a suggestion:

1) Actually popping the balloon = 2
2) Only cutting the streamer = 1
3) Popping a rising balloon whose streamer was cut = 3
4) Repeat hand launches = -1

I like these rules! Are you trying to take my job?

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I'll take that as a compliment.

I could never do what you do so well Chad. Besides, it wasn't too difficult to look for ways to make the other guys lose when I had something to gain. I just couldn't figure out a reasonable way to assign favorable points or a roof landing.

Bigshow4u

That's a great set of rules. It would be cool to see a Balloon Pop Challenge Pt.3! I would suggest mixing air and helium so the balloon doesn't fly off to fast.

You could also ad a streamer to the mix and get 2 bonus point's for cutting the opponents streamer, that way you battle each other as well as trying to pop more balloons than your opponent does. That would spice things up!

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
After seeing Dadde's balloon popping video, maybe having some specially filled balloons could add to the excitement.

Josh Bixler

I would love to revist this challenge with a new twist in the future. Maybe place the balloons in unkown and hard to reach areas. Between swing sets, under the crowns of trees, in a swamp, ect.

JB

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I was referencing a video on David's site where he was blowing up some H2 filled balloons with his tricopter. But you have those woods nearby. Maybe you could do tricopter FPV combat in the woods where precision flying isn't an option but a requirement. Or tricopter vs standard helo. I'm curious what you guys have in store for this winter.