FPV - Basic gear setup for a Pane.

mungral

Hi

there's soooo much information out there on fvp and gear set up. it all gets rather confusing.

Being new to the hobby I was wondering if someone could post a photo of their electronic set-up
laid out nicely on a table, with labels.

video Transmitter / receiver parts I get but what about all the extra plugs / wiring required and how does it all
tie into your camera and your planes transmitter?

does anyone supply a basic first timer kit the has EVERTHING I need?

or maybe the Flite Test boys all ready have video on how to.
some may call me a bit slow,, but I don't want options. I just want one set up to start with.
i'll play with different set-ups once I get the basics down..

hope all of the above makes sense.

Winglet

Hi Mungral

I understand exactly what you are saying. It is difficult to figure out all the pieces and parts. I just recently finally made my very first FPV flight. I was confused for a long time. Here is exactly what I did and it turned out pretty good!

Hobby King offers a complete FPV setup. It includes a transmitter, receiver all cables and goggles.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__53706__Quanum_DIY_FPV_Goggle_Set_with_Monitor_KIT_.html

I purchased this package just so I could learn how everything basically worked. It is cheap and I didn't expect much more than to gain some knowledge. That worked out pretty good. I actually made my very first FPV flights using this setup. I converted the goggles into a tripod mounted monitor and placed the receiver and battery along side. The goggles do not accomidate the battery and receiver very well. With this I was able to get airborne (with a spotter) and then take a peak into the goggles that were supported by the tripod. The video quality isn't very good but it did what I needed it to do. I eventually ordered the Quanum V2 goggle kit from HK and found them to be much more user friendly. I was able to use the transmitter and receiver from the version one. The exception being the need for a different receiver antenna because the Version 1 model had a 90 degree bend in the coupling that made it stick out sideways from the goggles instead of vertical. (be careful ordering antennas to get the correct male or female connection) I also had to swap some cables around because they arn't just like version one but somehow I made it work. I wish Hobby King would make a ready to fly set using the V2 Goggles. That would be perfect. Maybe they do and I just haven't found it?

The end result is a pretty decent setup for a first time FPVer like myself. Everything is on a FT Explorer which is a great platform to work from. I prefer to use the 3 channel wing.

I am sure there are better setups out there but as a newbe to FPV I couldn't figure them out. Now I can.

Best of luck to ya!

Attachments

• FPV1.JPG
    FPV1.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 3

Lorenzo

This is a perfect coincidence as I am planning to build this exact setup over the next few weeks. This will also be my first FPV system. I'll definitely be checking in to see how everything goes - best of luck.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
FPV noobie here too!

I just dove into FPV with that same exact setup too! I haven't received the V2 googles yet, but last night I received and hooked up the rx/tx to the TV for a test run. Going to connect it up to a RC car for the first FPV runs.

JIET3363[1].jpg
The bottom right is a shot of my 50" TV. The battery selection was based on convenience as I have one battery with a JST. I swapped out the rx connection with an XT60. I will need to make up an adapter for the tx/camera battery to connect to the vehicle (car/plane) battery. The voltage range of 6-30 volts on this setup is nice for flexible power options.

I also tried out the RuncamHD, and it works but the color output was a bad yellow orange tint.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
BI,

You might want to remove or replace the rubber duckie on your FR632 -- in bench tests it causes no harm, but that linear polarized antenna will reduce the reflection immunity and reverse-polarization immunity your CP antenna gives you. VTX's you ABSOLUTELY MUST have an antenna attached when powered, but it does no damage on VRX's (they simply won't work until at least one is installed).

On a diversity VRX setup, it's best to pick the right antennas for what you're listening to and use only those . . . or leave the extra ports open so they don't add the signals you don't want.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
BI,

You might want to remove or replace the rubber duckie on your FR632 -- in bench tests it causes no harm, but that linear polarized antenna will reduce the reflection immunity and reverse-polarization immunity your CP antenna gives you. VTX's you ABSOLUTELY MUST have an antenna attached when powered, but it does no damage on VRX's (they simply won't work until at least one is installed).

On a diversity VRX setup, it's best to pick the right antennas for what you're listening to and use only those . . . or leave the extra ports open so they don't add the signals you don't want.

Good info Dan, Thanks!

I was very careful to make sure that the tx had an antenna before powering. I have been lurking around FPV threads for awhile picking up bits of info and that bit seemed to be the most important.

I was contemplating getting a patch style antenna to replace the whip on the rx. That shouldn't cause a problem, right?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
As long as it's a circularly polarized patch (both CP and linear patch antennas exist) and the matching polarity (left or right) that's a good combo. One for Omni while flying nearby, one for directional as you get a little deeper into the woods.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Testing out while walking around the house.
image.jpeg

Car test setup.
image.jpeg

Was going to try out on the mini guinea first for my daughter to take a ride. But then this happened.
image.jpeg

At least those prop adapters just become available. Just have to wait for the Chinese New Year to be over. Will put it on something else to test, perhaps Tiny Trainer or Durafly Das Ugly Stick.