FPV Camera Question

ndietz88

Iv been out of RC for years, and am now drastically behind the curve. Within the last year Iv become very interested in FliteTest and everything they do. These guys are awesome and can honestly say without a doubt that they got me back into RC.

My question (with a short back story), I am trying to get into FPV, i have a 250mm quad i built and looking for either a full package (turn key) system or one that i can build around something say a go pro or Mobius Action Cam. I am leaning towards the Mobius. My question is, ive seen many people using the mobius as their fpv cam and in similar situations as just a video recorder.

Does anyone know if you can use the mobius as both the fpv camera and video recorder? One camera for two jobs. Reduce the amount of attachments to the frame? Just wondering, I looked around and if anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,

Nick

joshuabardwell

Mentor
You can use the Mobius as both FPV and HD cam, but it's not a good idea. The dynamic range of the HD cameras is much worse than that of the board cameras, so you are much more likely to get a situation where you can't see well enough to fly. For example: bright sky and dark trees--the camera adjusts exposure for the sky and the trees go dark. Latency can also be an issue with some HD cams, but on others, it's fine.

This video demonstrates the phenomenon:

joshuabardwell

Mentor
... and this screen grab is a great example of what I'm talking about. Board cam on the left, Mobius on the right. Imagine you are flying. Which of these would you like to see?

cam.png