FPV Camera / Transmitter

Mode 1

Hey all.

I'm looking for some suggestions for FPV camera and transmitter (for planes) With Goggles for my son and I ordered I need to address the rest of the parts and pieces I need. Any suggestions (looking for a good value) are greatly appreciated.

skymaster

Elite member
hello mode 1. are you an experienced flyer. if you now how to fly already. i just saw this little one might get it myself. i think it is cheap for the price and the picture seems good. i do buy thing from banggood. but check out the flite test store they have some good ones . here is the link to the new one that hawkeye came out with. take's a while if you order it cause it comes from china. https://www.banggood.com/Hawkeye-Fi...AIO-p-1337718.html?bid=51584&cur_warehouse=CN

Mode 1

Skymaster.. Yes. I am an experienced flyer and just dipping my feet into Fpv. Thanks for the reply.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking for some suggestions for FPV
I highly recommend you watch all 8 of IBcrazy’s videos How to be successful in FPV
The exact equipment is far less important than understanding how it works. Life will be much easier if your equipment all works at the voltage as your flight pack. Then you can just tap a balance lead. Also need to check the laws in your country.

Mode 1

Skymaster.. Yes. I am an experienced flyer and just dipping my feet into Fpv. Thanks for the reply.
I highly recommend you watch all 8 of IBcrazy’s videos How to be successful in FPV
The exact equipment is far less important than understanding how it works. Life will be much easier if your equipment all works at the voltage as your flight pack. Then you can just tap a balance lead. Also need to check the laws in your country.

MERV. thanks for the reply. I've been watching those videos and they are very helpful indeed.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I've been watching those videos and they are very helpful indeed.
I've had good luck with the cheap equipment. There are lots of camera reviews out there, just look at sample videos & pick the one you like. Depending on how you fly and weather conditions, latency can be an issue. If you flying through the tree branches or it's a gusty wind, latency will mess you up. If you are 2-300 feet high and its calm, latency is not an issue. I'd recommend something on the ground that records. In my part of the world, it's easy to get lost in an ocean of corn. It's easy to get lost and not know the way home. Curry Kitten has a great GPS/OSD to find your way home and lost model finder for when you can't.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Before you order anything, hang tight. I came into this hobby on a budget with toy-grade quads and I had cheap, but really good FPV. I tried some stronger bats, and tri-blade props and lost the quad in the woods. Long story.

Hang tight and let me dig through my email. I'll let you know what I ended up with and I can tell you that for the price, it was surprisingly good.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I bought this for a camera from FT. Super small, super cheap.I got the batts from overseas for like 4 bucks:

https://store.flitetest.com/spektrum-rc-ultra-micro-fpv-camera-vtx-spmva1100/p384897

When it was getting dark outside, with that little cheap camera, it was like daytime in the goggles. I was really amazed at how well it worked.

this for goggles from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DBXVZKB/?tag=lstir-20

Believe it or not, they pretty well rock. They're amazing. Built in DVR and the picture is awesome. I added a Blacksheep directional antenna and another omnidirectional because the goggles are duel diversity.

I modded my quad above my skill level and it flew up over my head and behind me. Seemingly instantly. Given more skill, that would have been a pretty good mod. It was a rocket on steroids with a shot of nitrous.

I panicked, got the controls confused as it was WAY the heck up and behind me. Then I dropped it in a forest. There's lots of story after that as well. But I watched the whole thing in FPV the entire time. That quad and that camera are unfortunately still MIA.

It's a great combination of camera and viewer, and it won't cost you $800. The whole combination was maybe $200. It's still not cheap, but you are basically buying small HD TVs or a dumbed down tablet as a viewing platform.

Hope it helps. (Oh, Lord, I sounded like Hai-Lee with that last sentence. God help me.) I'll say: The Journey Continues!

Last edited:

Mode 1

@buzzbomb - Thanks for the info! After mind-numbing research, I actually ended up buying 2 pair of the EV800d goggles for $99 each w/ free shipping. There's no doubt the Vipers are highly rated but I couldn't justify the cost difference and the Ev's are actually well rated too. I also like the fact that the screen on the EV800's can be removed and used as a monitor.

That being said, I'm beyond confused as to what I need to buy for the plane and how to power it. Camera, VTX.. does FPV gear need it's own battery? More research ahead!