FPV CineWhoop Assistance Needed

Marzipan

can someone educate me about hobby grade multirotors, in particular CineWhoops and what all is involved in setting one up for FPV flight?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
can someone educate me about hobby grade multirotors, in particular CineWhoops and what all is involved in setting one up for FPV flight?
I will second FlyingMonkey's reference to Bardwell's stuff.

I suspect you haven't done any multirotor stuff at all yet, as a cinewhoops is just a specific build style ment for cinegraphic recording in as small and safe as a platform as will carry an action camera (not what I would recommend for a first multirotor, that would be a normal ~35g whoop and/or a simulator)

Marzipan

I will second FlyingMonkey's reference to Bardwell's stuff.

I suspect you haven't done any multirotor stuff at all yet, as a cinewhoops is just a specific build style ment for cinegraphic recording in as small and safe as a platform as will carry an action camera (not what I would recommend for a first multirotor, that would be a normal ~35g whoop and/or a simulator)

any simulators in particular you would recommend?

one of the reasons I say CineWhoop is that I like how they look, a lot, vs. all the other multi-rotors out there.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
any simulators in particular you would recommend?

one of the reasons I say CineWhoop is that I like how they look, a lot, vs. all the other multi-rotors out there.
CineWhoops are a trade off to carry an action camera in as small of a platform as possible (and to have prop guards) and probably not the best first option, but I suppose they could work as well.

FT recommends (and sells apparently) liftoff -> https://store.flitetest.com/liftoff-fpv-simulator/

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
If you want a gopro you will need something like the fpvcycle cinesplore. If you want to carry a ~40g camera then a betafpv 95x or 85x will serve you well. I am building a 95x soon and will post for you to see. Mostly made out of leftover parts.

Most of the older cinewhoops with the giant ducts and the 14xx or 15xx motors flew awful. Kababfpv (bob roogi guy who runs fpvcycle) has made motors and a frame to make a cinewhoop actually preform well.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Marzipan Bardwell is a great resource for all things drone. Just be aware he is paid by sponsors so EVERY product he will tell you is the best thing since sliced bread. Learn from his tech abilities but be wary about what products you see. Do your due diligence and research each thing and don't just hop on the Bardwell band wagon. And what ever you do DO NOT question anything he says even when he challenges you to do so or he will go all snap his fingers in a Z formation hissy fit on you.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
@Marzipan Bardwell is a great resource for all things drone. Just be aware he is paid by sponsors so EVERY product he will tell you is the best thing since sliced bread. Learn from his tech abilities but be wary about what products you see. Do your due diligence and research each thing and don't just hop on the Bardwell band wagon. And what ever you do DO NOT question anything he says even when he challenges you to do so or he will go all snap his fingers in a Z formation hissy fit on you.
I have noticed that without any real evidence. Just a gut feeling. Guys gotta make a living tho…

He does have good info tho
also drone camps rc: seems like a nice enough guy, but I have never seen a thumbs down review. I dunno if he’s sponsored, I kinda feel like as long as it flys he likes it. Idk if it is for a sponsor or that is just how he feels. Anyhow…

Marzipan

I have yet to watch any videos, but man are most of the BetaFPV light! alas, they also have lousy run times. are there any sub-250g models that have flight times of 10 minutes, not the 3 most of them report? a lot of the better models from BetaFPV are in the DJI Mini 2 price range after exchange and those come with 20 - 30 minutes of flight time. :)

Marzipan

CineWhoops are a trade off to carry an action camera in as small of a platform as possible (and to have prop guards) and probably not the best first option, but I suppose they could work as well.

FT recommends (and sells apparently) liftoff -> https://store.flitetest.com/liftoff-fpv-simulator/

we do and it's $3 lower in price than everywhere else I've seen so far. it made me immediately think of Ascent. I wonder if anyone could make a mod for it that would simulate 'copters!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have yet to watch any videos, but man are most of the BetaFPV light! alas, they also have lousy run times. are there any sub-250g models that have flight times of 10 minutes, not the 3 most of them report? a lot of the better models from BetaFPV are in the DJI Mini 2 price range after exchange and those come with 20 - 30 minutes of flight time. :)

My 3 inch build will run any where from 3 to over 10 minutes depending how you fly. Probably more if I swapped out the props and down graded to 3s instead of 4s. The DJI crap has better flight times because they carry much larger batteries then the comparable free style / race quads we use. They also use a lot lower kv motors to turn high pitch 2 blade props for efficiency not for speed. They are also optimized for super low rates which don't allow for maneuvers that take more power to do like flips and rolls.

Cinewhoops are designed to carry a camera AND protect the surroundings for getting close up on things. The ducts that protect from contact with the props are very inefficient and take away power as well. If you want extended flight time you are going to sacrifice the power to carry a camera switch to two blade props and match motors to low amp use so you can switch to using 18650 batteries instead of lipos.

Its the nature of the beast. You CAN design to do a specific task and be good at it. You CAN NOT however design to do ALL tasks. You CAN tune rates on EVERY quad built to make it fly docile like a tiny whoop or aggressive like a race quad no matter what the size and power. Its a matter of balancing and trading power and efficiency to get what you desire out of them.

Here is my 3 inch doing free style stuff in pretty significant winds for its size and weight. I think with the 4s 850 battery and the CP antenna and mount it was 253g with a dipole and no mount it was 248 and change. It also has a full size vtx and fpv camera not micro stuff.

and here it is with dropped rates for cruising. Keep in mind also it was in ground effect so open air cruising will have even better flight time.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I am building a 95x soon and will post for you to see. Mostly made out of leftover parts.
Cool! I recently turned my Mobula 6 into a 95mm quad!!
26D50309-1F4B-4B9B-AD4C-85AA722F3BB7.jpeg
E6102081-F873-4511-9DC3-0A026C2A6DF3.jpeg