FPV curiosity

Johntra

So I am looking into FPV. And I notice that there are two types of systems on the HK site (I know there are a lot more then just two) a 1500 mW and a 100 mW system. It looks like there are some laws in different countries that don't allow you to broadcast a strong signal on a given freq. And to my knowledge there are no such laws in the US. But my Question is there a huge difference in the systems? One is over a 100 bucks the other is just over 50. So is it worth getting the 1500 or just go the cheep route and get the 100?

Edit: Oh and I guess theres a 200mW and 1000mW, forgot about those.

100mW http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16460__900MHZ_100mW_Tx_Rx_1_3_inch_CCD_Camera_PAL_520TVL.html

1500mW http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16457__900MHZ_1500mW_Tx_Rx_1_3_inch_CCD_Camera_PAL_520TVL.html

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello John,

I just wanted to say hi since I used to live in Kailua. I actually lived on K-Bay (the base) but our mailing address was Kailua. What a beautiful place to live. And that would be a beautiful place to fly FPV. I've been up Stairway to Heaven and Diamond Head and some nice sights. Getting some shots of the windward side of the mountains after a rain would be really cool too. I hope you get a good setup to do what you want.

—Jim

Attachments

• Custom 95mm Brushless Micro Quadcopter v39.jpg
    Custom 95mm Brushless Micro Quadcopter v39.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 2

bbmagic

It is wise advice to keep the VTx at a reasonable power level (100 to 500 mw). It is like someone shouting. You might be able to hear a conversation with another person because of that persons voice pitch but it will always make it difficult. The same thing happens with your RC recv and trans trying to talk. The VTx is shouting and the only option that might work is separating the antennas. Antennas are the key to more range... It takes 4 times the output to double the range.

bbmagic

That is impossible to answer with any authority. It could be as high as a mile under great conditions and antennas or it could be less than 500 feet under the worst conditions. The local RF noise level, trees, buildings antenna quality and setup etc. Kind of like asking how far does a flashlight shine with 2 D batteries. Obstructions, fog etc all play major roles.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
John,

I was in the worlds finest Navy, I was with one of the P-3 squadrons over there. I used to live up in the newer housing up by the O-Club. My oldest son, (not the RC modeler) just finished up his 2nd tour in the Corps. He's ivo LeJeune.

If you've been there even a little while you must know about the Stairway to Heaven. My middle son and I did that hike up. WOW, what a view! I could think of a number of places to fly FPV out there that would offer a considerably different post than what will be seen from the mainland.

Also, you know where to go to see the turtles right? I know a place where there are usually 3 or 4 every time.

I am very much looking forward to your posts.

—Jim

Johntra

I was stationed in Cherry Point and Camp Lejeune for about 7 years total. Not a great area, but I did meet my wife in Emerald Isle.
Yeah I know about the stairway to heaven. Haven't done that one yet but i was thinking about it. My children aren't old enough to do it so i have to get baby sitters. I have seen some of the emerald sea turtles here in the bay several times.

UDRA

I have a question as well , what kind of frequency vtx should i buy, I have no experience in FPV yet and I do not want to buy two times. So 900mhz, 1.3ghz, 2.4ghz (can't have becouse my tx is 2.4ghz) and 5.8ghz also how powerful 100mw-1500mw. Wich is the best in: range, video quality, better between obstacles, upgradable or be optional in every way and what is downside of each one. This is wide question and very useful for everyone who want to get into FPV. [sorry for language i used google translate because I'm bad in english]

Johntra

so whats the furthest someone has pushed their FPV system? (Lets say a low power system like a 100 or 200w)

DREDNOX

Where's the Jager??
I took my HK 900 Mhz 200mW system out over a mile without a single glitch. Of course I had a patch antenna on the ground.