FPV Dogfight with Head-tracker in a Spitfire... a Journey to get there

Jackson T

Elite member
@FPVAirCombat I'm thinking of scratch building a Pilatus PC-21 to join in the scale FPV fun with. It will probably have a 65cm wingspan powered by the Flite Test F Pack. I won't put any pan/tilt mechanisms in it, but I will do my best to make the cockpit look scale. Hopefully I can copy (or at least try to) some of your cool flights!

FPVAirCombat

@FPVAirCombat I'm thinking of scratch building a Pilatus PC-21 to join in the scale FPV fun with. It will probably have a 65cm wingspan powered by the Flite Test F Pack. I won't put any pan/tilt mechanisms in it, but I will do my best to make the cockpit look scale. Hopefully I can copy (or at least try to) some of your cool flights!

65cm wingspan maybe a little too small for good FPV experience - plane may feel too jerky - unless you also use very good stabilization receive like AS3X. I almost feel the size of my PC-21 (1100mm span) is about at the smallest limit for decent/realistic FPV experience.

Last edited:

FPVAirCombat

Oops. Pride took a dent. Have not had a crash caused by pilot error in a while. I got cocky and wanted show off a nose high wheelie landing for the peanut gallery. Plane lifted off again after main wheels touched down. I yanked back on the elevator too much...

Jackson T

Elite member
65cm wingspan maybe a little too small for good FPV experience - plane may feel too jerky - unless you also use very good stabilization receive like AS3X. I almost feel the size of my PC-21 (1100mm span) is about at the smallest limit for decent/realistic FPV experience.
It might not a be a super smooth and scale experience, but for the cost of the model (I already have the materials), it should be a bit of fun. I'm not trying to get anything as good as your setup, just doing what I can with what I've got!

I thought of maybe tying a long streamer to the back and "chasing my tail" to practice getting onto the tail of a dogfighting opponent (when I get one :)). What do you think?

mach1 rc

Master member
Oops. Pride took a dent. Have not had a crash caused by pilot error in a while. I got cocky and wanted show off a nose high wheelie landing for the peanut gallery. Plane lifted off again after main wheels touched down. I yanked back on the elevator too much...

At least it looked like it was in one piece.

FPVAirCombat

It might not a be a super smooth and scale experience, but for the cost of the model (I already have the materials), it should be a bit of fun. I'm not trying to get anything as good as your setup, just doing what I can with what I've got!

I thought of maybe tying a long streamer to the back and "chasing my tail" to practice getting onto the tail of a dogfighting opponent (when I get one :)). What do you think?

Interesting idea about chasing a long streamer. Excuse me for laughing out loud. The picture of a dog chasing its tail does pop up in my head - very comical. This may work but would get boring quickly.

If you have a RC simulator , allow me to make a suggestion to practice formation, mock dog fight in the absence of of a flying partner.

1. Record a flight first doing basic maneuver, eg. circle, race track.
2. Replay said flight and try to fly alongside the recorded image.
3. Tack on additional more advanced maneuvers and repeat.

Treat the image like a real plane and develop habits to avoid colliding into it. It’s very challenging to keep pace and stay close. You will become proficient flying close formation in very little time without risk of colliding and expensive repairs.

Have fun!

Jackson T

Elite member
Interesting idea about chasing a long streamer. Excuse me for laughing out loud. The picture of a dog chasing its tail does pop up in my head - very comical. This may work but would get boring quickly.

If you have a RC simulator , allow me to make a suggestion to practice formation, mock dog fight in the absence of of a flying partner.

1. Record a flight first doing basic maneuver, eg. circle, race track.
2. Replay said flight and try to fly alongside the recorded image.
3. Tack on additional more advanced maneuvers and repeat.

Treat the image like a real plane and develop habits to avoid colliding into it. It’s very challenging to keep pace and stay close. You will become proficient flying close formation in very little time without risk of colliding and expensive repairs.

Have fun!
True, it would probably get boring pretty quick. Didn't think of that. That's a good idea with the simulator, but unfortunately I don't have one :(. I am getting an FT Arrow back in the air with FPV, so hopefully I'll have some good fun with that practicing my FPV skills.

Hondo76251

Legendary member

I agree, 65 cm is on the small end. That's about the size of my Hawkeye converted RC-FPV chuck glider. The trick is the weight. My Hawkeye has to fly pretty fast to stay in the air and it doesn't have any reinforcements to the glider frame, no pan or tilt, and a tiny AIO fpv camera. A blast to fly, dont get me wrong, but even with As3x it's a handful.

FPVAirCombat

Here's some flight footage of it...

I find that my banggood "lidl" knockoff is a much better platform at 33" (84cm)

That’s some thrill flying with your chuck glider and lidl knock off - taking risks shooting gaps that I never could. I like the twin prop setup so you don’t have the Venetian blind prop strobing in view. Also love the fun your kids are having trying to shoot you down. They develop good instincts lead shooting fast moving target. Looks like you will have your own Topgun squadron in a few more years:).

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I've spent hours blasting through the trees with those gliders. Its actually pretty impressive how durable that foam is if you keep the overall weight to a minimum.

Of course, when you shoot gaps you dont always make it...

I put together a little fail compilation for kicks and giggles...

FPVAirCombat

Getting back in the Saddle in the Spitfire - dogfighting a Tomcat:

3EDEC0D8-AE52-4BA3-9942-AE94081F9EBF.jpeg

Last edited: