FPV Dogfight with Head-tracker in a Spitfire... a Journey to get there

FPVAirCombat

But not without reviewing the fundamentals first! Practicing Spitfire Scale FPV landings. I can handle the touch and goes alright. But when the tail settles and V-stab loses effectiveness. Not having seat-of-the-pants/inertial feel nor visual cues to correct for side loading results in wingtip scrapes. That's my excuse anyways;)

FPVAirCombat

Dogfighting isn’t the same without the gunsight. It’s hard to keep it on target for a couple of seconds.
95754529-0384-4791-B22F-0D16B87BF381.jpeg
19CA0D8C-0C57-4C67-8511-2DC37A431D0D.jpeg

FPVAirCombat

A50302A7-1684-43BD-A781-B93AF3C21884.jpeg
5ED8598D-15C9-40F2-B9CF-9EAF7A835A77.jpeg
AC343116-108F-4240-93CA-493C4AB52BFB.jpeg

Followed the landing Tomcat too closely and lost track of my altitude - last screen shot is 2 seconds from my prop striking ground. Luckily, I pull out in time to save the Spitfire, but all three blades lost about 1/2” from the tip. Landed Spitfire safely, whew...

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
Will there be any video of the Spit vs Tomcat? From the photos, it looks like it is some great footage! BTW, have any of your flying mates got FPV yet for their planes?

FPVAirCombat

Will there be any video of the Spit vs Tomcat? From the photos, it looks like it is some great footage! BTW, have any of your flying mates got FPV yet for their planes?

Yes on the Spit vs Tomcat video. Will finish editing by weekend. The Tomcat pilot is currently flying a FW L-39 with DJI Digital FPV. Camera not in cockpit though but above it for unobstructed view. I tried dog fighting the L-39 but it’s too small and too nimble for me to follow — resolution of my FPV system not good enough.

It seems I am being pushed into the jet age. Ultimate FPV dogfight goal would be F-14 formation and F-14 vs F-14. But I need to select my FPV jet trainer first...

Jackson T

Elite member
F-14 vs F-14's would be awesome! Only problem with jets is you can't cut streamers with EDF's, so it would be harder to know when you got a kill.

FPVAirCombat

There will be a FPV laser tag product coming to market soon (see FPV Combat on FB). One can setup flashing LED, or shaky controls on bandit to indicate hit. Or we can do the honor system like Air Combat USA (have a friend that works as instructor pilot there) - he pulls smoke on bandit if the client keeps the reticle (reflector sight) on bandit for more then 2 seconds.

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
There will be a FPV laser tag product coming to market soon (see FPV Combat on FB). One can setup flashing LED, or shaky controls on bandit to indicate hit. Or we can do the honor system like Air Combat USA (have a friend that works as instructor pilot there) - he pulls smoke on bandit if the client keeps the reticle (reflector sight) on bandit for more then 2 seconds.
That would be really cool! FT did a video on a prototype lasertag system someone made, here's the vid if you haven't seen it.

mach1 rc

Master member
That's so cool 😱

FPVAirCombat

I saw the FT laser tag video a couple years ago. In fact, that was my original inspiration to start FPV flying and work on a reflector gunsight. I thought how cool it would be to do a calibration test of the laser/inferred gun on a ground target with the sight on the bullseye — just like how real fighters calibrate their guns. An aiming device was what’s missing in the FT video. Too bad there’s no follow up on that laser tag video and I can not find more info about Tritium Studios/ Tanner who developed the system.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yeah, I miss the rest of the FT crew too. I loved the vlogs they used to do, because you got to see pretty much everyone just doing the day to day stuff.
I know, I loved the vlogs too. Too bad you have to pay for them now... I do kinda get it now though. I‘d like to support them in that way so I might do it, not sure yet.

FPVAirCombat

Better late then never. The Spit vs Tomcat video is finally up. The fun was over in minutes but took forever to edit - the part I dread...

Jackson T

Elite member
Thanks! Hope you are in a safe area. Thoughts and prayers for you guys in Aussie land. Take care!
Thanks for the prayers. Some of our friends have had to evacuate or have had the fires burn their farmland, but thankfully everyone is ok, and there aren't any fires out my way at the moment.

FPVAirCombat

Well, I have finally done it! Popped the cherry on flying head-tracking FPV on a EDF jet. And with DJI FPV to boot. Not my plane and was a steep learning curve. First flight was LOS to get to know the FW L-39. Second flight was FPV trial by fire. Third flight went directly to FPV chasing the F-14 also belonging to the same friend. Don’t know what Alex was smoking trusting me with two planes. There were indeed some close calls. My fingers were shaking, nonstop...