FPV Dogfight with Head-tracker in a Spitfire... a Journey to get there

Jackson T

Elite member
Well, I have finally done it! Popped the cherry on flying head-tracking FPV on a EDF jet. And with DJI FPV to boot. Not my plane and was a steep learning curve. First flight was LOS to get to know the FW L-39. Second flight was FPV trial by fire. Third flight went directly to FPV chasing the F-14 also belonging to the same friend. Don’t know what Alex was smoking trusting me with two planes. There were indeed some close calls. My fingers were shaking, nonstop...

Nice! That was a very near miss at 2:00, your thumbs must have been shaking after that!

FPVAirCombat

I am a pinch flyer, so the shakes are somewhat mitigated. Good thing the plane does not seem to be effected. Here is the flight that I drilled on landings before the chase flight.

Jackson T

Elite member
My PC 21 is coming along... I can't wait till I'm tearing across the sky in a mock-up cockpit like Maverick from Top Gun :cool:.
1585523925274.png

1585524015355.png

FPVAirCombat

Have not posted in this thread for months. But my FPV training continues, recently with a wingman practicing formations in T-33’s — post-World War II era jet. A good segue graduating from Spitfire. I will revisit the Spitfire from time to time when I encounter other warbirds at our field.

Here’s a video of us practicing formation loops, rolls and landings with chase view.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Practicing aerobatics with the purpose of putting together a demo routine together for a live audience and focusing on being as precise as possible with each maneuver, was happy with how this flight turn out. Enjoy!

Any suggestions on what maneuvers you want to see in a jet aerobatics demo?

We need to develop a smoke machine light enough and strong enough to pump smoke out to the wing pods on those so you can turn them on and off at will.

what kind of viable flight times do you get?

Id say tandem take off, climb out to down wind leg, at mid point both pull up, hit smoke at start of climb. At apex one loops back the other split s into the bottom half of a loop, cross head on at bottom of loop while knife edging canopy to canopy as you cross as close as possible the pilot on the down wind leg comes around for a low inverted pass over the air strip while the other tracks away and comes around low to fly thru the gate after the two plane meet after air strip pass. One hits the gate going under it the other passes over top maybe inverted at the same time. Then both complete the pattern and come around to final with a tandem landing in formation.

FPVAirCombat

Psyborg,
I get about 4 minutes of flight time comfortably. A pair of smoke machine might be too heavy. Smoke bombs might work.
Your suggested maneuver would look great with smoke. We will give it a try.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@FPVAirCombat I dont think 2 machines would be needed. Just some tubing run thru the wing out to the pods or even out of the wing at the servo horn exit.

I would think a simple low power setup like the tiny Halloween smoke machines would be perfect. Just have to convert it so the heat and pump are DC not house voltages. Ill give this a think and see what comes up in my sleep. Thats usually when the best answers come. Then I am up for three days working things out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
@FPVAirCombat
I would think a simple low power setup like the tiny Halloween smoke machines would be perfect. Just have to convert it so the heat and pump are DC not house voltages. Ill give this a think and see what comes up in my sleep. Thats usually when the best answers come. Then I am up for three days working things out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheap smoke.......the holy grail. You'll be a hero if you solve that problem.

FPVAirCombat

The T-33 is fast and nimble, fit for fast paced aerobatics. My Cobra Jet, On the other hand is a lumbering heavy weight by comparison. It’s also underpowered by today’s standards, takes time to build up speed/momentum to carry through maneuvers. Forces learning good jet flying techniques. It does handle wind very well.
If using golf as analogy, Cobra would be a driver; And T-33 would’ve a 7 iron...