Help! FPV Drone Receiver Question

OliverS

Hi, I am new to fpv drones and I decided that after what I thought was plenty of research, I would build my own drone from scratch. It appears I did not do enough research because I am running into issues with the connection between my FC and my receiver. I bought an FS-I6 transmitter and the Flysky FS-X14S (https://www.flysky-cn.com/x14s-canshu) receiver which is supposedly compatible. What I may not have adequately checked compatibility with my FC (Lumenier ALPHA AIO Flight Controller F4, http://www.multirotorguide.com/news...troller-f4-fc-with-osd-and-30a-blheli_32-esc/). I wired and soldered the boards so that the sbus pin on the receiver is connected to the SID pin on the FC, in addition to ground to ground pin and vcc to 5v pin. When I powered on the drone and followed the binding instructions for the receiver and transmitter, the receiver did not have a green flashing light which the owner's manual said indicated that it is in binding mode. I am also unsure if I could have caused this problem with my beta flight configuration settings. I am unsure of what motor/esc protocol I should be using given that my receiver doesn't support PWM. I also don't know which receiver protocol I should be using. There are a lot of unknowns and I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have. Thank you so much.

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
You have to press and hold the bind button on the receiver before you connect the battery to the drone.

In system setting you should be able to change receiver output to Sbus. I can't tell you what buttons to hit because I have an i6x.

OliverS

I think that I have everything physically correct (I could totally be wrong, please tell me if you think I am), but I am pretty lost on how to set up the connection between the receiver and the transmitter, and all of the little steps in betaflight to get there. I am not sure what uart is, and I don't really know what to look up because I have so many questions and very limited knowledge. What do I need to do to go from everything being soldered together, to flight? Thank you.

OliverS

HELP!! I just did a test arming of my motors and I powered up one of them to the supposed 75% throttle, and a literal flame shot out of the bottom of that motor. It seemed to have been contained and nothing else caught on fire (I immediately stopped the motor and unplugged everything). What do I do?! I am honestly scared to plug it in again and I have no idea what kind of damage that could have done to the rest of the drone.

Bricks

Master member
The protocol is on the link to the receiver Wireless protocol: AFHDS 2A . As I don`t have that radio or system I think XSrcing is right have to hold the bind button down while plugging in the battery to the quad. Here is a link that may help you figure out how to set up the rest of your quad, it is a complete series.

OliverS

Given this circuit diagram, how do I know where the uarts are and which ones they each are?
Racerstar_TattooF4S_30A_BLHELI_32_connections.jpg

Bricks

Master member
This looks more like the power distribution board with built in ESC`s not the flight controller where the UARTS are. Unless this is for like a Tiny Whoop where you may not see UARTS. You did not give us a name or any other information about this board.

Last edited:

OliverS

But how do I configure a receiver in beta flight for this board? Don't I need a uart designated for the receiver? Did I wire this correctly as I described earlier on in this string of posts? Is "sbus ppm" in the diagram supposed to be where my receiver is wired in?

mastermalpass

Elite member
I'm out of my depth here, the only proper quad I have is a Diatone GT-M530 - came prebuilt only needing a receiver and battery - but I too had problems getting it to bind. The problem; though my Spektrum receiver was a good fit for the quad, it was not compatible with the Spektrum DX6i. The receiver does telemetry, the DX6i does not. The solution was to buy a different receiver, this time checking it's compatible with my specific transmitter rather than just seeing the brand. lol

That motor fire must have been a shock. Is there any metal stuck to it, causing it to short out? Brushless motors are full of magnets after all.

OliverS

I'm out of my depth here, the only proper quad I have is a Diatone GT-M530 - came prebuilt only needing a receiver and battery - but I too had problems getting it to bind. The problem; though my Spektrum receiver was a good fit for the quad, it was not compatible with the Spektrum DX6i. The receiver does telemetry, the DX6i does not. The solution was to buy a different receiver, this time checking it's compatible with my specific transmitter rather than just seeing the brand. lol

That motor fire must have been a shock. Is there any metal stuck to it, causing it to short out? Brushless motors are full of magnets after all.
After some responses on another post, it was concluded that the motor fire was most likely due to the mounting screws being way too close to the motor coils. That and/or it was an issue within beta flight and the min and max power of the motor (I think that's how that works but I am kinda learning as I go... clearly).

OliverS

After some responses on another post, it was concluded that the motor fire was most likely due to the mounting screws being way too close to the motor coils. That and/or it was an issue within beta flight and the min and max power of the motor (I think that's how that works but I am kinda learning as I go... clearly).
This being said I am still completely lost on the receiver setup.

OliverS

Beta Flight says that I have uart1, uart3, and uart6, is it bad to guess which one is connected to the receiver, how do I check? How do I know which receiver mode I need? How do I know what ESC/motor protocol I need?

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
Change UART 3 to serial in betaflight.

I am not speaking from experience. Repeating stuff I have heard on YouTube.