fpv flying wing build log

earthsciteach

After a few days of atrophy, I'm making progress on the flying wing, once again. I had a very critical cut to make and I couldn't quite convince myself of the best way to go about it. I had to make a "shoulder" cut on the canopy where it will recess into and sit flush on the center section. After pondering on it and experimenting with my Dremel, I decided to simply hot glue an exacto knife onto a nice strip of oak and do it by hand. It came out beautifully!

The attached pics are not of that, but of the hollowing out of the center section to accommodate electronics. The two strips remaining will accommodate the wing spars. Next, I'll hollow out the canopy, itself. photo-21.jpg photo-22.jpg

SteveOBHave

Nice work! What kind of wing stiffening are you thinking of using? CF rods/tubes or are you going to glass the outside?

earthsciteach

I am still very much up in the air about that. :rolleyes: One requirement of this wing is that it must be modular for easy transport, so internal spars will be used, regardless of what I do to the outside. I think I've convinced myself that fiberglass cloth and epoxy will be heavier than I would like. So, I'm considering a thinner, lighter fabric and polyurethane as an alternative. Or, I may use sanding sealer to get a nice, smooth surface, paint, then iron on laminate to reinforce the outside like my Assassin wing. Any input will be much appreciated!

SteveOBHave

I think strength wise glass and epoxy will be significantly stronger. I'll be able to comment more once I get my wing out of it's bag but you shouldn't need more than a couple of layers of glass and as long as you do your damnedest to get as much of the excess epoxy off, the added weight shouldn't be too bad. The downside to polyurethane is that it takes a long time to set. I have read about water bases acrylic being used with pretty good success... I would be careful with the poly on foam also as it may eat away at the finished core which would really tear your undies.

http://www.tompierce.net/rcplanes/glasstest/index.htm

http://www.tompierce.net/SBD/html/paint/glasswing.htm

Regarding the sanding sealer, again I'm not sure that you wouldn't be adding a similar amount of weight once you apply the iron on as you would with glass for much less strength.

earthsciteach

The scale of the plane in the link would better lend itself to glassing. I'm worried that the small size of my wing will result in too much weight.

So, you have a wing bagged and curing now?

earthsciteach

Me, too. I've seen Burt speak a couple of times and was at his shop when the Voyager was being built.

Did your dad build the plane? If so, you have quite the leg up on glassing techniques!

SteveOBHave

Yeah - The Long Eze he's built, the Vari Eze not. There is certainly a lot of experience to be tapped into with both sculpting foam and glassing but you also have to scale down the methods and quantities as weight becomes far more important. Like I've said in my build log, it's all pretty experimental and I have to see how it goes.

earthsciteach

Yep. The small scale is tough. It definitely is not a simple case of using homebuilt techniques on an RC plane. If you come up with something good, please let me know!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Well est it would appear from your comments that we have yet another commonality, Burt Rutan craft envy. ;)

Thurmond

earthsciteach

Mid section and canopy cored out

Its not pretty, but the mid section and canopy are cored out allowing plenty of space for the guts. The canopy fits very securely into the mid section. I'll add rare earth magnets as a finishing touch to hold it in place. From here, I'm going to use light weight spackling to fill in the dings and dents. Then its time to make a decision on how I am surfacing everything!

photo-23.JPG

earthsciteach

Finally made a decision on how to surface this thing. I'm going to glass it. I just ordered 20 yards of 0.56 oz/sq yard fiberglass cloth. Next is to convince myself of which epoxy resin ($$$) to buy or see if I can find where to purchase Styrosafe polyester resin. Haven't gotten a warm, fuzzy from the sites I've seen selling that stuff. Its much cheaper that epoxy resin.