fpv flying wing build log

earthsciteach

I decided to go ahead and start a build log for the fpv wing that I'm building. Maybe it'll keep me focused on this project. I need all the help in that department I can get!

Specs:
Material: 2" thick XPS sheathing insulation from Home Depot
Wingspan: 50"
Motor/prop: Don't know. All depends on all up weight at the end of the build
Requirements: stable platform for carrying fpv electronics, modular-breaking down into 3 pieces for transport, look cool, keep me entertained.

I'm playing around with the idea of making molds from the foam in order to lay up fiberglass and make multiple wings. I go back and forth between that and just sealing and laminating the foam. Or I may glass over the foam. I'm building a minimum of three, which isn't too many to carve from scratch each time.

First, here are the "scale" plans I'm working from:
photo-19.jpg

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Looks remarkably like an x8... But a little smaller.

If your wing doesn't work out, check out the x8 on bevrc.com. They used to have free EMS shipping on orders over $200. Not sure if that's still the case, but was an awesome deal!

teflyer

Full Circle
really excited about this! looks really cool from the sketch and what you already started with!
Just curious, what happened to the red tail hawk glider?

earthsciteach

First, I carved the center section and canopy from foam using a hobby saw. I then sanded with 100 grit sandpaper.
Sorry about the orientation. When I open them in other software, they are upright. Don't know why the attachment manager turns them.
photo-15.jpg photo-16.jpg

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yeah, I like the looks of the x8. It's hard for me to justify $200 for a foam kit, though.

200 bucks is a bit steep, but remember, you are also paying for someones engineering expertise and time, usually a bunch of hardware, but most importantly instructions (CG, motor/prop recommendations, etc.)

But hey, if you are earthsciteach just make your own ;)
Can't wait to see how it turns out.

earthsciteach

Tex-The Red-Tailed Hawk glider, while being a perpetual victim of my ADD, is but moments away from flight. I have the controls hooked up. Now, I just have to secure the battery, esc and rx. Its about 1/2 hour worth of work, but it'll take me untold hours to get back around to it!

Ninja-Buying planes is boring.

Lobster-My expense to date is about $15.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Don't you Aussies insulate? Lobster, you need to move to a more extreme climate!

Hahaha, if you were in Australia you'd have a big laugh at that... Yes, we insulate. The government even got into the game as an economic stimulus (my department, not my team thankfully)! They shelled out money to unscrupulous and unqualified types who set houses on fire and/or got electrocuted!

Insulation here is primarily batts (fibreglass) rather than foam for some reason, except for serious refrigeration insulation which is only available to tradesmen and is expensive. I've looked in our pathetic excuse for hardware stores, and the best I found was light density polystyrene like what is used to package whitegoods. To top it off, even that was really expensive.

I did an experiment with the foam commonly available here early in my flying career (last year), which was the laughable 'flying phallis' Predator/Reaper type thing.

earthsciteach

I've had a good bit a success with flying wings from foam board insulation. They are more brittle than wings made of EPS, but with laminating and reinforcement tape, they can still take quite a beating!

Just hot wired one wing. Turned out really nice! I'll post pics when I get the second cut. Have to mow the lawn, first. :p

earthsciteach

The easy part is done...

Both wings are cut and rough sanded. I'm still playing around with the idea of using the foam as forms for laying up fiberglass. I heard a rumor that Wal-Mart is selling woven carbon fiber cloth and epoxy for about $20. I haven't verified that, and quite frankly, I couldn't imagine carbon fiber anything could be that cheap. Maybe its black fiberglass cloth, or something of the sort.

Now on to the hard part. I need to carve out the fuselage bay section and cut out the canopy to mate. The canopy part is tricky because I need to make a perfectly straight cut around the circumference of the canopy base. May have to see what I can do with the router or buy a router attachment for my Dremel.

I am going to make winglets, more for looks than anything. Then, I have to find spars that will sleeve into one another so I can attach and remove the wings from the center section. I also have a lot of fine sanding to do to get the pieces to line up cleanly.

Does anyone have experience using sanding sealer on foam to get a nice surface?

photo-20.jpg

earthsciteach

Thanks, Andre. I'm happy with how its coming along so far. Kind of wish I made the wings slightly longer. They look a bit stubby for my liking, but I can take care of that with the winglets.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Looking good so far. Interested to see how this goes. I'm in the process of doing a scratch Wing design too . . however I have a feeling mine will be a very long build! Nice work!!

earthsciteach

Thurmond, those prices are much more in line with my experience. I bought a 52" woven 1/2" carbon fiber tube from a remnant sale two years ago for $52.00. It was worth every penny. But, I am not looking to spend that much on this wing. It just doesn't warrant it!