Help! FPV for a noob

whackflyer

Master member
Hey guys, been thinking about getting into fixed wing fpv, and was just wondering if people can help me out with some questions.

First off, I’d like to use fat shark recon v2 goggles. I’m not really looking to record footage, I just want the fpv experience. I’d like to be able to have 1/2 mile range or a little less. Is this too far for 5.8ghz? So for that, do I need a fairly high MW VTX? On the camera side, what’s best and easiest to set up? I’d like to be able to power it from the flight battery, balance plug or main I don’t care. Also, on antennas, what’s cheapest or best for the money, with decent range as stated above.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I highly recommend you watch the video series How to be successful in FPV by Ibcraze.
A 200mw 5.8gh video system can easily go 1/2 mile. I have gone about 2 miles. Many factors effect the range.
Antennas are everything. Not the cost but the placement and style are very important.
I recommend recording your video on the ground. At some point you will have a failure and lose your plane, the video will be invaluable to find your plane.

whackflyer

Master member
I highly recommend you watch the video series How to be successful in FPV by Ibcraze.
A 200mw 5.8gh video system can easily go 1/2 mile. I have gone about 2 miles. Many factors effect the range.
Antennas are everything. Not the cost but the placement and style are very important.
I recommend recording your video on the ground. At some point you will have a failure and lose your plane, the video will be invaluable to find your plane.

Hmm... what do you mean by recording my video on the ground? Sorry if I'm a bit dense.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hmm... what do you mean by recording my video on the ground? Sorry if I'm a bit dense.
Look for goggles or a screen that records the video as you watch it. When (not if) your plane goes down you will be able to play the video back and hopefully get a better idea where to go looking. You will be amazed how easily it is to get lost and can’t find your way home.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Here is another great idea, adding a simple and cheap on screen display. It will point the way home & tell you how far.

whackflyer

Master member
Look for goggles or a screen that records the video as you watch it. When (not if) your plane goes down you will be able to play the video back and hopefully get a better idea where to go looking. You will be amazed how easily it is to get lost and can’t find your way home.

The Recon V2 has DVR, not? It does use an SD
card. If I decide to bite the bullet and purchase some fpv stuff, which of the swappable ft planes is best for it?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
The Recon V2 has DVR, not? It does use an SD
card. If I decide to bite the bullet and purchase some fpv stuff, which of the swappable ft planes is best for it?
Mini arrow, explorer, dart, spear, versa wing, sparrow and my absolute favorite, the super bee will all work great. Btw for the camera I use a wolfwhoop 200mw aio camera with the clover antenna, got it for 17 bucks off amazon, so far I’ve had no issues with it.

whackflyer

Master member
Mini arrow, explorer, dart, spear, versa wing, sparrow and my absolute favorite, the super bee will all work great. Btw for the camera I use a wolfwhoop 200mw aio camera with the clover antenna, got it for 17 bucks off amazon, so far I’ve had no issues with it.
Thanks @Paracodespoder, can you get me a link if it’s not too much trouble?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Here you go, (that is what I have), you could get this one with adjustable MW power, it can do 25 50 or 200 MW's for only $2 more. Have fun fpv'ing, it's a lot of fun to fly through trees and gaps at high speeds. Oh, and I forgot, i have gone about a half-mile with that camers without any issues other than slightly fuzzier footage then normal. Also, I use spektrum fpv goggles (minus dvr) that i got for $95 at my local hobbytown and they work great for a cheap fpv goggle.

whackflyer

Master member
Here you go, (that is what I have), you could get this one with adjustable MW power, it can do 25 50 or 200 MW's for only $2 more. Have fun fpv'ing, it's a lot of fun to fly through trees and gaps at high speeds. Oh, and I forgot, i have gone about a half-mile with that camers without any issues other than slightly fuzzier footage then normal. Also, I use spektrum fpv goggles (minus dvr) that i got for $95 at my local hobbytown and they work great for a cheap fpv goggle.
Great thanks!

whackflyer

Master member
So it says in the description on that one that input voltage is 3.2-5v correct? So I would have to have a separate battery?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Gonna play grumpy grampa here and toss out some things to ponder when you do stuff like this specially for new guys.

Choices you need to make..

Fpv requires a HAM licence.

New and existing rc flight regulations require line of sight. Long range flights break that rule.

As stated above at some point you will crash. Depending on where you crash could be legally and financially bad for you. Not to mention if you hurt someone or damage property it will be yet another black eye for the rest of us in the hobby.

Do you wanna be THAT guy?

Last but not least long range and cheap crap gear is a really bad idea. There is better quality stuff out there that is economical and thus less risky.

Proven fpv gear I use with good mid to high quality are an eachine atx03 variable power vtx usually less then 15 dollars. A runcam swift micro2 camera. Mainly for the camera controls that allow you to get it out of factory indoor static mode and tailor it for outdoor use. It also does not force you into improper factory presets that dont help with changing conditions for outdoor use.

These are all choices we must make for ourselves. Just remember when things go wrong it effects the rest of us.

Right now 90% of bad press is from irresponsible dji product users. Lest not get foamboard flight get that same stigmata.

Reactions: FDS

whackflyer

Master member
Gonna play grumpy grampa here and toss out some things to ponder when you do stuff like this specially for new guys.

Choices you need to make..

Fpv requires a HAM licence.

New and existing rc flight regulations require line of sight. Long range flights break that rule.

As stated above at some point you will crash. Depending on where you crash could be legally and financially bad for you. Not to mention if you hurt someone or damage property it will be yet another black eye for the rest of us in the hobby.

Do you wanna be THAT guy?

Last but not least long range and cheap crap gear is a really bad idea. There is better quality stuff out there that is economical and thus less risky.

Proven fpv gear I use with good mid to high quality are an eachine atx03 variable power vtx usually less then 15 dollars. A runcam swift micro2 camera. Mainly for the camera controls that allow you to get it out of factory indoor static mode and tailor it for outdoor use. It also does not force you into improper factory presets that dont help with changing conditions for outdoor use.

These are all choices we must make for ourselves. Just remember when things go wrong it effects the rest of us.

Right now 90% of bad press is from irresponsible dji product users. Lest not get foamboard flight get that same stigmata.
Thanks for the tips @PsyBorg, on the property damage part, we live 13 miles from the closest town, and it’s all farmground around us. Most of what I’m flying over is what my grandma owns and my dad rents from her, so we wouldn’t have any problems there. What does it take to get a HAM license?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hamstudy.org has free resources to help you learn what is needed to get the minimum technician class licence for legal fpv.

I like the flash cards they have. They also tend to keep up with all the questions from all the tests given.

Then just check when and where the next test near you will be administered. Usually runs about 15 dollars for the person administering the test and if you pass you are good for 10 years.

You will know on the spot and can take the next higher level test right then for nothing with no penalty if you do not pass.

Two thoughts on that particular vtx.. first its from banggood and I trust their gear about as much as if the crackhead down the street made it as far to much of their stuff is cheaply made reverse engineered knock offs.

Second its older tech with higher power and very succeptible to over heating and failure if not properly cooled.

Probably ok for open bodied quads flying around with 4 props moving air. Not so much burried in the fuse of a plane so be aware any vtx you use has that same potential issue as well.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I use the atx03 on my gremlin and can fly the entire field on stock dipole antennas.

For my 5 inch quads I use the pandorc vtx and they are rock soild and clear.

For antennas i used the aomways on my quads and goggles with a dipole on the diversity side.

On my new build I am trying an axii stubby cause I kill at least half a dozen antennas on my quads catching the longer shafts on the gates.

Prices are comparable or better then what you posted and I know for a fact what these parts do.

Never got on the fatshark bus because everyone else does because the cost vs quality is not comparable to more economical but quality parts I found thru trial and error.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FQ96QY/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ML33M5P/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9QM409/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GG7JDX/?tag=lstir-20

Last edited:

whackflyer

Master member
Ok thanks, but on that list i supplied earlier, will everything work and is it good? Just making sure:) Also, does anyone have any experience with the ibcrazy blue beam clover leafs?

Last edited: