FPV - Full setup for a noob?

xXolzXx

Heya FliteTest community!

I have been pondering for ages about getting FPV but never really tried it myself. So it led me to ask the wounderful community in-which is you for guidance!

Basically i have there about £200 - $300 to spend on a FULL setup, including FPV gear and a plane without tx/rx!

I have already a monitor to use for FPV and my flying location is very open so I was thinking more 5.8GHZ but that was just my initial reaction when reading into it!

So to go with the FPV gear a plane is needed as my stryker has near enough bit the dust and all my other planes are lightwieght gliders, I was thinking of something like the epp-fpv but that has quite a hefty price tag, but i would like something that doesnt have to be used just for FPV but that you can play silly's with such as a good tow plane? or something to carry a bomb drop system etc.

Oh and finally the range needs to ideally be over 100 acres so about a 1 1/5 miles minimum! there is not many trees or obstructions either!

Thanks a bunch everyone for reading this it is much appreciated!

Have a nice day!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
You're going to have a hard time getting what you want, for the price you're asking. At the very least, I would recommend the Fat Sharks Predator V2 package, which has your video glasses and receiver built in, a 250 mw video transmitter, and a camera. It's an excellent entry level package, that is truly plug and play.

To get close to the range you're looking for you'll have to spend a little more on antennas. The stock ones will not give you 1.5 miles of range.

You can try getting into FPV for less. You mentioned you have a monitor that will work. Flite Test has some episodes on that.

In fact, they really have done a great job of covering most aspects of FPV in the episodes that have been collected here...

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?4806-Gathering-of-Flite-Test-FPV-episodes

A growing list of vendors for FPV products can be found here.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?4872-FPV-Vendor-List-Flite-Test-sponsors-Highlighted!

xXolzXx

well maybe 1.5 miles is a bit unresonable but i wouldnt mind having decent range ... like maybe atleast 500m is that reasonable also thanks for your advice!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Aren't most full range control systems good for 1Km or so? You should be able to get at least that far with a 250mw Tx/Rx and cloverleafs, right? At least in a low noise/interference environment...