FPV goggle advice

nate46

Hello all, I have been away from RC for the last 9 years. I was around bad when FT first started but went on an educational journey that is now completed (within a month). I want not only to continue to fly, but I want to add FPV. I purchased an inexpensive set of Box goggles to try it out, and I am having issues. I am having problems focusing and feel like my eyes are cross-eyed. Is this normal for a box goggle with a single screen? Should I get a better result with more expensive goggles with separate right and left screens?

Thanks in advance for any input!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I don't have any issues with my box goggles like that. it should have an adjustable focus lenses in it, perhaps it needs to be adjusted. To me it just feels like looking at a screen at an indeterminate distance from my eyes.

Do you wear glasses? or anything.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Box goggles should have a fresnel lens in them, they all do to my knowledge. Placed 1 focal length from the screen this collimates the light so when you're looking at the screen your eyes are in a far focus state as opposed to holding a regular screen right up to your face and straining to focus close. The questions are what kind of goggles are they and do you wear glasses?

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
What make and model goggles are they? Do they have any adjustability? I have a set of transformers that you can adjust things like the focal depth, and eye separation.

nate46

The goggles are ARRIS VR-009 Goggles. I have played with them and if I close one eye (either) the video is focused. If I pull the goggles from my head 3 inches the video is focused. I do not see any adjustments on the unit. I do wear glasses occasionally, only when looking at anything at a distance. Thanks for the responses!

nate46

I only need glasses for distance. I do not use glasses for reading. I am not wearing glasses now, but if I am in a classroom and sit in the back I need glasses to see the video screens...

nate46

I should re-state the problem. It isn't really a focus problem as in fuzzy. It is like I see double superimposed over each other. Like seeing cross-eyed.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Maybe the lens was installed incorrectly. Unfortunately models like yours are lesser known, and that not only means the knowledge base is smaller, but the quality control or support system is a little less established.

AleRRon

There are so many goggles out there and everyone develops preferences, but you don’t know what they’re like until you try them. If yours don’t work well for you, see if they do for someone else and either sell them or give them away. Then find other FPV flyers and try theirs to see what you like. Or youlll have to take a chance based on reviews and recommendations. I’ve had cheap Eachine box goggles that had a decent image, but they wouldnt turn on most of the time. Then FXT Vipers that worked well except I could not focus on with or without my glasses, even though they were touted as great for glasses wearers. I think if you just wear glasses for distance, they would be fine, but I am older and wear progressive lenses. Then I just bought Eachine EV300 goggles and I LOVE them. They fit my face great and have a clear and bright image, and best of all they have individual adjustments for vision correction and inter pupillary distance. I can adjust them perfectly for my eyes. Fat shark makes similar but more expensive ones. Fat shark makes quality gear by the way. There’s many good brands. Skyzone and others. They all fit and work differently.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The only thing to do is to find out how to adjust the IPD focus on the lenses onto the clear glass by adjusting the internal "projectors" at the temple. Im not sure if that is adjustable or if its locked into a general eye spacing and may require a skilled hack to do.

With similar types of Goggles / Augmented Reality glasses its an eye dominance thing. Attack helicopter pilots have these issues when learning to fly with the monocle. They have to train to see out side with one eye and the FPV with the other. Those are NOT like traditional FPV goggles. So that is also an option if the projectors are hard mounted and you do not want to take them apart to do an alignment hack thru trial and error.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
The only thing to do is to find out how to adjust the IPD focus on the lenses onto the clear glass by adjusting the internal "projectors" at the temple. Im not sure if that is adjustable or if its locked into a general eye spacing and may require a skilled hack to do.

With similar types of Goggles / Augmented Reality glasses its an eye dominance thing. Attack helicopter pilots have these issues when learning to fly with the monocle. They have to train to see out side with one eye and the FPV with the other. Those are NOT like traditional FPV goggles. So that is also an option if the projectors are hard mounted and you do not want to take them apart to do an alignment hack thru trial and error.

He is talking about box goggles, which would have a single screen and lens, no IPD adjustment. You may have noted that I just wanted to clarify for everyone else.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
He is talking about box goggles, which would have a single screen and lens, no IPD adjustment. You may have noted that I just wanted to clarify for everyone else.

@CustomRCMods I replied to a post that was in here last night about the moverio glasses. It had added spam in it so I reported that and I guess it was removed. Next time I will "reply" and not just answer hehe