FPV Goggle issue

zakks69

I've been buzzing a tinyhawk around for a while and haven't had much issue until the signal cut to static mid-flight! To keep it simple, I had the cooling fan disconnected during the minute-long flight but i'm not convinced that's the reason. I also slightly jostled one of the antenna loose but was able to tighten it and resume 30 seconds of flying. Hoping it's just maybe a resistor issue... Any ideas appreciated!

FDS

Elite member
Do you have video when it’s on the bench?
Start with the obvious, check the antennae on the quad and the power leads to the camera.
Goggles won’t care if one antenna is loose, they will still receive. What other gear do you have? It helps to test stuff if you have duplicates or other camera set ups you can check with.

zakks69

Well, after a few static start-ups and re-starts, it slowly faded from the EMAX logo screen into shaky static. I've since changed my theory from a signal issue to, perhaps, power?? I re-connected the cooling fan but the board, sadly, remains unresponsive. I have a basic Hubsan radio/monitor combo that I was able to link to the quad, thanks to Betaflight.

FDS

Elite member
What goggles are you using?
Have you looked at the physical connections in the Quad?

zakks69

It's the RTF bundle. Only physical hardware issue I faced, drone side, came from swapping out the standard camera for a caddix. The first few signal tests/batt cycles ran without the warning buzzer but I suppose the moisture from my handling it may be to blame... A handful of packs later and the beeper recovered.

FDS

Elite member
Enough to destroy the transmitter then. Video transmitters don’t like no antenna. Not seen one with two antennae, get some pictures?

zakks69

The goggles are for sure fried. Decided I'll just save up for something better. Any suggestions on securing the antenna threading? Or is this perhaps a case of user error?

FDS

Elite member
Receivers don’t usually die because they have no antennae on, it’s transmitters that do that.
The VTX in the quad is the transmitter, goggles are the receiver.
Have you tested your goggles with another transmitter?