Fpv goggle upgrade

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Hey Guys,

So I have been flying for about a year with my ev800d goggles for about a year now. I have been wondering whether or not to upgrade and I have a few questions:

Is it really a big difference going to the slim/fatshark style goggles from box style?
Are they more immersive? When I fly I have a lot of fast carves with some freestyle thrown in. I really like to feel like I am in the quad.
Are there any other reasons to go to slim/fatshark over box?

And then the criteria I have for the goggles:

I don't really care about OLED, I'm sure it is nice but I can't miss what I never had
I don't need a crazy good receiver like rapidfire, just something with diversity because I am not flying in high multipath environments
I would like a larger fov because I really like immersive feeling
Hdmi would be nice because I might eventually get sharkbyte if it improves enough (eyeing new runcam hdzero)
Ok resolution
I already have a menacerc pico patch and periscope antennas
Needs to be mid range price
Used is ok
I would like good customer support
I would like to be able to buy from rdq, getfpv, or amazon so I can get help instead of battling for a refund if something goes wrong.

The fatshark attitude v6 seem to cover this pretty well.

Thanks for any input. I just don't want to drop a wad of cash on something I might not like so much that I could spend on a surfboard or something. I probably won't buy anything for a few months (black Friday sales?) so I might have questions if some new product in this criteria drops.

Mr_Stripes

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I have the exact same set of googles and have been pondering the same thing here for a few months, here are some of my thoughts/data points.

one thing that has been sitting with me is that the FOV on the ev800d is going to be more then many of the binocular style googles. My very unscientific measurement of the FOV on my ev800d goes something like this:

5in from screen
2.5in tall -> 27deg
4.25in wide -> 42deg
4.93in diagonal -> 45deg
but that is ignoring the lens which makes the apparent size of the screen bigger, which means the 'visible' FOV is going to be higher then those numbers, but it is hard to measure the apparent size of that screen, so I don't have hard numbers on it.

the fatshark attitude v6's FOV (field of view) is 39 degrees diagonal, so your definitely loosing out some there (I which I could test fly with a pair myself to see how bad the 'loss' is in practice).

The receiver module matters more then just for multi-path rejection (that is very much related to the quality of your antenna based on the amount of axial ratio the antennas have), it also matters related to what your sensitivity is (higher sensitivity means you get signal from farther away, with lower VTX power, or through more 'stuff' in the way).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Skyzone 02C's.

Skyzones have rock solid receivers and have never needed external modules. If you want to do REAL long range flying people use a ground station for that to get the antennas up higher away from your water filled melon that sits on top of your shoulders.

The leds are more resolution then the older Fat Sharks you are loking at and they are far cheaper and have more features built in. (power switch anyone?) anyway point made there... they have an Ok dvr but all dvr's pretty much suck no matter what you use.

EDIT :Oh yeah it does have HDMI and I have watched movies straight off a blu ray player AND computer as well as played several video games. Its not like virtual reality so wearing something on your head to do something you can do better on a big screen tv is kinda moot. But you can if you want to.

Couple them with a decent camera PROPERLY set up and you can get better over all video then the HD options that are out there that look AWESOME at 50 ft but get progressively crappier the further away you go as they have to down grade the video just to hold a signal. the BEST thing about analog and the Skyzones is when they lose video its slow and you still have control to turn around or change direction to reacquire a better signal to get back to your self. DJI locks up and fail safes.. requiring a total reboot to get back on line with the quad but you STILL have to do a walk of shame to find your stuff as you cant even use the signal chase method.

When in the goggles here on 25mw video was rock solid and crystal clear. as you see the DVR not so much but still better then most out there.

EDIT 2" notice I am also sitting under an all metal roof with steel framing. and 25 mw is doing just fine.

Last edited:

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
one thing that has been sitting with me is that the FOV on the ev800d is going to be more then many of the binocular style googles.
Yup. But I have also read that some people feel that the binocular style are more immersive.
The receiver module matters more then just for multi-path rejection (that is very much related to the quality of your antenna based on the amount of axial ratio the antennas have), it also matters related to what your sensitivity is (higher sensitivity means you get signal from farther away, with lower VTX power, or through more 'stuff' in the way).
I have high quality antennas. Pretty high gain.Here is what I have: MenaceRC Goggle Pack 5.8GHz Receiver Antenna 2 Pack - RHCP (racedayquads.com)
4.93in diagonal -> 45deg
Same as HDO2, skyo4x and orqa
Skyzone 02C's.
They don't even sell those anymore, just the new 02o which have weird 16:10 OLED 30d degree fov and are almost as expensive as the attitude v6
The leds are more resolution then the older Fat Sharks you are loking at and they are far cheaper and have more features built in. (power switch anyone?) anyway point made there...
These were released a couple of months ago and have 1280x960 resolution FatShark Attitude V6 FPV Goggles w/ Diversity Receiver for Sale - RaceDayQuads
DJI locks up and fail safes.. requiring a total reboot to get back on line with the quad but you STILL have to do a walk of shame to find your stuff as you cant even use the signal chase method.
I'm not even thinking about dji and air unit weighs more than some of my quads. Too pricey.

JasonK

Yup. But I have also read that some people feel that the binocular style are more immersive.
Note, my measurements are ignoring the lense which makes the image bigger (so the observed FOV on the box goggles is higher then my calculated values). Myself, the box goggles are 'heavy' on my head.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
If you want immersive, one word: digital. No comparison. I have 15 digital quads, and 7 analog. I have not flown an analog with my HDOs in 18 months.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
If you want immersive, one word: digital. No comparison. I have 15 digital quads, and 7 analog. I have not flown an analog with my HDOs in 18 months.
Im flying stuff like whoops and kababs babytooth. The weight isn't justifiable for this size.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

I have high quality antennas. Pretty high gain.Here is what I have: MenaceRC Goggle Pack 5.8GHz Receiver Antenna 2 Pack - RHCP (racedayquads.com)

They don't even sell those anymore, just the new 02o which have weird 16:10 OLED 30d degree fov and are almost as expensive as the attitude v6

These were released a couple of months ago and have 1280x960 resolution FatShark Attitude V6 FPV Goggles w/ Diversity Receiver for Sale - RaceDayQuads

I'm not even thinking about dji and air unit weighs more than some of my quads. Too pricey.

Well that should tell you how good they are if they don't need to make replacements for them.. ANY of the Skyzones are good at the mid range level and out perform some of the best higher quality goggles with no need to add on ten other pieces before you even turn them on. Just sayin. You seem scope locked on Fat sharks so I'm going to bow out and let you do your thing.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Well that should tell you how good they are if they don't need to make replacements for them.. ANY of the Skyzones are good at the mid range level and out perform some of the best higher quality goggles with no need to add on ten other pieces before you even turn them on. Just sayin. You seem scope locked on Fat sharks so I'm going to bow out and let you do your thing.
Dude the only goggles sky zone makes now are the sky04l ($400) which are a direct competitor to the attitude v6 and the sky02o which is only $20 cheaper than the attitude v6. The main difference between the 04l and the attitude v6 is the receiver. Basically for 50$ more you get a really good receiver. The one that the attitudes come with has diversity and is more than adequate. The sky 03o has OLED screens (which I don’t care about) a weird 16:10 aspect ratio, and a small fov. And then there is the problem of customer service. Fat shark: good
Eachine: nonexistent
Sky zone: ok

And customer service is something I care a lot about.

Well maybe sky zone will release something that is perfect for me in the future.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
As I said you seem scope locked on Fat Sharks. No need to convince me your happy. I love what I have and have no plans to change until they die or the grubment totally kills off the hobby.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
As I said you seem scope locked on Fat Sharks. No need to convince me your happy. I love what I have and have no plans to change until they die or the grubment totally kills off the hobby.
I would love some sky04x goggles. Unfortunately the goggles skyzone is currently offering either dont have the right feature set for me, or are out of my price range. I think I will stay with my box goggles until either there is a new goggle released that perfectly suits my needs or I find a nice set of used goggles (or until mine decide to die). I saw a pair of skyzone sky03o goggles for sale but they were too expensive. No one seems to be selling the sky 02c/x either. And the cobra s/x box goggle looks pretty good as well. I think that I need to actually try a pair of fatshark style goggles before I buy anything. And Covid is probably gonna put that on hold.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Hey @JasonK I actually ended up getting a pair of used attitude v6s for 200$. I really like them big improvement over ev800d. If you can get a pair used then I would go for it. I actually like the 39* fov better than the massive 84*fov. I can actually see everything at once.

Sorry PsyBorg for bringing up an old thread. And i would go for the sky04l if I was buying new, nobody seems to want to sell skyzones for some reason...

JasonK

Hey @JasonK I actually ended up getting a pair of used attitude v6s for 200$. I really like them big improvement over ev800d. If you can get a pair used then I would go for it. I actually like the 39* fov better than the massive 84*fov. I can actually see everything at once.

Sorry PsyBorg for bringing up an old thread. And i would go for the sky04l if I was buying new, nobody seems to want to sell skyzones for some reason...
I have had a pair of sky04l for a while now