FPV Goggles and cameras

0__0

Hi, I just have one very simple question: Can I use any FPV Goggles with any FPV Camera ?

FDS

Elite member
Yes, any 5.8 camera and VTX will work with any 5.8 goggles. Cameras don’t transmit on their own unless they have a VTX attached, so check that before you buy.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
VTX = video transmitter. The VTX is the part on the copter or plane that sends video signal to the receiver in your goggles.

0__0

Thank you very much ! Now I have another question. What is the best (and relatively cheap) FPV setup, including camera + VTX + headset please ? I mean everything I need to start with.

FDS

Elite member
There’s a lot of potential bests. Exactly what do you want to fly, where do you want to fly it and how far are you going from yourself?

0__0

I am currently building a 2m wingspan balsa motorized glider and I have a FSIA6 transmitter + receiver so I don't think i'll be able to take it very far from me.

FDS

Elite member
How much (approx) are you looking to spend on the FPV set up? Do you want onboard HD recording?
You will want a fairly powerful VTX to get the most out of gliding. How much space is there in the fuselage and is there somewhere you can mount the VTX where it will get good airflow?
Do you wear glasses?

0__0

I think I could spend around 150$ for the whole setup. HD recording doesn't really matter because I have a gopro I could mount on the glider. I don't think i'll have space issues because the fuselage is quite long (around 1m). And no I do not wear glasses.

FDS

Elite member
There’s a big weight saving in running a combined fpv camera and HD recording camera vs using a go pro. If you are even thinking about taking footage with it and have room for a 20 x 20 double stack in there then you should think about that vs just a camera. It’s worth a bit more spend to save the weight.
If you don’t have anything against box goggles I have used the Eachine EV800 non diversity ones with a decent omni antenna for loads of things, mine have worked out to 500m with a 200mw transmitter and they convert into a monitor screen for LOS flying or showing friends the view from the camera. They are about $50 new and have a bigger screen than nearly all the comparable sets of goggles under $100

0__0

These glasses look really good to me but do you you have any recommendations about Fpv cameras and VTX please ?

Bricks

Master member
I like the Foxeer Preditor Mini the biggest reason is how well it handles light to dark aka straight into the Sun and turning away, very bright background can still see well of what landscape is there. fPV transmitters I have not found a ton of difference myself, others may say something else. Make sure it has a easy way to change channels and it is easy to operate and get to it NEVER NEVER turn on power with OUT the antenna connected or you will be buying another one...

Reactions: FDS

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I use the Runcam microswift2 cameras in my quads. Its one of the few cameras that lets you fully control light handling and not force just using presets. Most cameras on the market STILL come with a default setting for stationary indoor use on artificial lighting.

The VTX I use are this type. There are several versions just rebranded that are exactly the same so shop around for best prices. Video is ROCK solid and most of the time I rip my quads around on 200mw with short dipole antennas. If you really want the best performance throw and AXII stubby antenna on it and youll be super stable for longer ranges.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCVWL89/?tag=lstir-20

Reactions: FDS

0__0

Excuse I am confused, can I use any fpv camera with any VTX (i've chosen Foxeer predator mini and rcharlance vx30 for example) or will I get compatibility issues ?

FDS

Elite member
Any camera will work with any VTX. I like both to run from the same filtered power supply, either battery voltage via LC filter or 5v via the BEC, if you want to do that be sure the voltage of both is compatible. Look for a VTX with a 5v output and a camera that uses 5v if you want to do that, check the VTX takes 5v in if you want to run it off the BEC.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Most new cameras and vtx run off 2s to 6s supply. So it boils down to power management on your system and longevity of the regulators themselves. I like the new regulators on FC as they do 10v supplies which is a happy medium between the 5v and 12v. You are not underpowered on 5v but your not sitting there cooking on 12v when not moving thru air.

FDS

Elite member
This is a fixed wing install without a FC.
Its been good to see the improvement in VTX power options tho, I agree 10v is good.

0__0

Is there any VTX that doesn't need soldering , that can be powered by BEC output, and that has 5v output ?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The vtx usually use a harness that comes with them. So no soldering on the actual vtx. If you mean plug and play you would have to look around and source a premade harness that would just plug into what ever connector your bec has. Other then that no you have to solder or crimp the ends to match your power supply. Most vtx these days can run on 2 to 6s power and have their own filtered supplies built in for cameras.

0__0

So I can just buy Eachine EV800 goggles, Foxeer Predator mini, holybro Atlatl HV V2, or do I need anything else for a complete Fpv setup ?