fpv, gopro

Fenomnis

What are the disadvantages of flying fpv with the gopro and filming at the same time?
Should I use 2 cams, one for fpv and one for filming?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Benefit of two cams is two different angles. What you want to see in footage isn't always what you *need* to see while flying. If you mount the gopro on the LE, it'll look like you're flying free, superman style -- nice, but not always handy for piloting. you can then mount the FPV cam farther back on a pan/tilt. This will allow you to pan around with a head tracker or dial for better orientation or spotting.

Putting the main cam on it's own pan/tilt can work, but you almost need a cameraman running that rig while you pilot.

Think tank crew -- driver can point the tank in any direction, but the gunner can shift the turret independently to keep aim. one man (a camera for this analogy) can't do both well -- or at all in battle -- because they're different tasks.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It'll be just fine.

A second, smaller cam is a nice thing to have for the FPV link -- especially if it can head-track. Orentation will be a little harder, since you have to turn the plane to look left/right, but many pilots get by just fine without it. Think of it as a nice future upgrade!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
There's been reports of the GoPro 3 having issues of losing video in flight when being used as the primary flight camera.

The disadvantage of that, is that if you're out of LOS flight range, you don't have a good idea where the plane is in reference to you, or it's too low, when you lose that video signal, you won't be able to control your plane.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sure, but the video link itself is where the rubber meets the road , so to speak...Transmitted video is only going to be so clear, making sure the link is solid is where the real trick is.

Fenomnis

hm
All this technical FPV things are verry complicated for me :D
I think the best way to learn how it works best for me is to try it out.
I just have to wait for the goggles. :)
But i am learning many good and useful infos here :)
THX guys

iCrash

I'm still learning quite a bit about FPV, however isn't there a device called a Diversity Controller?
If I remember right, it takes one video input and splits it without degredation so you can record with one output and send the second output to your video (goggles or monitor.)

RoyBro

Mentor
I'm still learning quite a bit about FPV, however isn't there a device called a Diversity Controller?
If I remember right, it takes one video input and splits it without degredation so you can record with one output and send the second output to your video (goggles or monitor.)

A diversity controller has nothing to do with splitting video. It allows the plane to switch to a second antenna. For example, if you have two directional antennas pointing in different directions, the plane will use the antenna with the stronger signal.
What you are thinking of is simply called a video splitter. I use a four port video splitter on my ground station. It takes its input from the video receiver and outputs to the goggles, LCD monitor, and DVR.

iCrash

RoyBro, thanks for clarifying! I learned something too. I plan to purchase a great FPV setup in 2014. This helps me understand stuff and get further educated on the subject.