FPV GPS Guided Kraken Build. Wiring help for RXSR-FC Omnibus F4 Fireworks V2.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Can you explain this a bit. I've never heard of this either. Seems like a good idea.
Yep, follow the link above from @makattack. A smoke stopper is a 12V light bulb in series with your battery, if you have a short it will limit the current and hopefully stop the smoke from coming out of your project.

If the bulb lights up, you’ve got a problem.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I'm using a DIY power supply based on these

It costs a little more, but I find it so much easier to power projects up without a battery.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I'm using a DIY power supply based on these

It costs a little more, but I find it so much easier to power projects up without a battery.

I have an almost identical unit, I find it invaluable for many projects in and out of the hobby.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I decided to build a new flying wing (most likely a FT Spear) to put a Matek F411Wing controller into. As part of testing the initial components before permanently wiring them up together, and seeing how the software works with them, I used my power supply to power them up like the photo below. This is actually after I already soldered the header pins on. Before then, I had all the various leads clipped in for my initial testing. I like to be pretty methodical, so after the initial test, I soldered the header pins, wired up some JR pins to the I2C and serial lines, and reran my tests. Next up after these sensors, goes the ESC/motor and servos. Here's my setup. Note how this power supply tells me that the GPS and airspeed sensor are both drawing about 7mA. This FC has two BEC's rated for 2A and 3A. Already, I know that's not going to be safe/sufficient for me to run the sensors and servos on the 3A BEC, since I'm planning on using digital servos, so I'm already adjusting the other build components to take that into account:

20190105_175601.jpg

TimOD

Hey Everyone,
This project has had no short of set backs with the latest being me shorting something in the power delivery system on the fc.
Anyway I though I would post the updated wiring diagram including the ubec and also I found I had wired the gps incorrectly (rx needs to go to tx and tx to rx on the GPS). Both of these are updated in the diagram.
Some other issues Im having are:
rx not communicating with fc
Inav firmware doesn't seem to work
only 1 motor ever works in airplane mode.
I have other threads open to try and address those issues.
Wiring diagram.png

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Ooo! Very nice! I love the retracts setup in the FT Powerpods! Have you kept with the same FC? Have you considered changing to a different FC such as one that might be more targeted for iNav and Fixed-wing aircraft? I found it pretty straight-forward to setup the Matek F411Wing, but I'm actually wishing I had bought a Matek F405Wing instead so that I have the flexibility of installing APM on it instead of being limited to iNav (F405 has more memory which APM requires due to it's robust feature set)

TimOD

Ooo! Very nice! I love the retracts setup in the FT Powerpods! Have you kept with the same FC? Have you considered changing to a different FC such as one that might be more targeted for iNav and Fixed-wing aircraft? I found it pretty straight-forward to setup the Matek F411Wing, but I'm actually wishing I had bought a Matek F405Wing instead so that I have the flexibility of installing APM on it instead of being limited to iNav (F405 has more memory which APM requires due to it's robust feature set)
I ended up changing to a RXSR fc omninxt F7 after i smoked the fireworks when i missed a solder blob which shorted something. I had figured out how to use the fireworks for the task but honestly at the end it was more effort then it was worth to make it work.

TimOD

Nearing completion of stage one (No fpv). Retractable landing gear giving me issues but she is flyable without them. Just waiting on a battery tray and will make a canopy out of a plastic coke bottle.
20190303_110453.jpg
20190228_190002.jpg
received_810615639318944.jpeg